CPL Season Schedule

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe it's because I just got back from a week in Cuba and no internet, but I'm relatively zen about this split season schedule situation. I don't want a split schedule, and agree with a lot of the issues people have with it, but I'm mostly just happy to have a schedule.

To speak to the conversation that was had about CSA/CPL deciding on the chosen 3 for CL representation. I had previously thought there was a good chance that CPL decided on the 3 because with the amount of bye weekends that are necessary for a 7 team league they were going to have to rely on a lot of weekday games (that part seems to be true) that they might need to schedule games on CONCACAF League days. However, it looks like practically all midweek games are part of a 3 game night, so it's not like they have cleared the schedule for the chosen 3. I thought it might have been too much for them to clear the schedule for all 7 teams. So yeah, since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'm back to thinking either CONCACAF decided it because the teams have to be established by a certain point, or the CSA decided it just because (they did already show them preference in the Voyageurs Cup, so this is a potential option).

As for snow games in March, I'm not against it. If we have players coming through our league and on to the national team, it might be nice for them to be accustomed to the idea of playing a nations league final or World Cup qualifier in Winnipeg in March against Costa Rica. Why we can't have an environmental home field advantage like every other nation in CONCACAF has over us?

Yeah, I’m really not a fan of the split season thing, but I’m less pissed than I was when it was first announced. I’m mostly just excited to get the league going already! 

I’m still really unhappy with the exclusion of 4 CPL clubs from our participation in the CL though, that’s an indefensible bit of stupidity. I get that they needed to know who it would be by a certain date, but why not just draw at random from the 7 clubs then?

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Yeah, I’m really not a fan of the split season thing, but I’m less pissed than I was when it was first announced. I’m mostly just excited to get the league going already! 

I’m still really unhappy with the exclusion of 4 CPL clubs from our participation in the CL though, that’s an indefensible bit of stupidity. I get that they needed to know who it would be by a certain date, but why not just draw at random from the 7 clubs then?

might not have existed or been registered by that point. i know concacaf has a date you have to have signed up for and i suspect the csa could have waived it or something but didn't (hence the cpl's disappointment).

i'm actually wondering if they're gonna get rid of the split next year. have a feeling it's here to stay for a while

Like @matty above I am also thinking/hoping the split season gets dumped second year. Or at least, make sure it is a true half season, a full Apertura, a full Clausura. I do see what it accomplishes is that no team gets too far back in the table, it enables a fresh start, so it does keep things a bit more competitive a bit longer over a season without playoffs. 

The 28 game schedule seems designed to establish a mininum of fixtures, which is then repeated in a balanced schedule next season, if what we are talking about is 8 teams. So that is the part that least worries me, in North America we have a lot of uneven seasons.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:40 AM, mpg_29 said:

yeah....I had the complete opposite reaction. That MLS starts it's season to early and CPL got it right. Though the MLS has a greater variation in climates to deal with than CPL will...

At most I'd go is a couple of weeks earlier (mid-april). Otherwise you are risking bad weather.

The type of stadiums obviously impact this as well. With some of these very open pop-up stadiums fans are much more exposed to the elements.

I was at the inaugural NASL game for the Ottawa Fury at 3pm, April 19th, 2014. It was about 4 degrees in the stands and though the fields were clear and most of the snow had melted, there was still sizable mounds of it around Keith Harris Field at Carleton University and elsewhere in the city. You know that if there's still snow in Ottawa, there will still be snow everywhere else in Canada except Southwest Ontario and BC. I think the ideal date to start the season is the second or third weekend of April. I think the CPL would have started a week earlier this year, but that's Easter Long Weekend and probably wouldn't get a great turnout.

7 hours ago, Initial B said:

I was at the inaugural NASL game for the Ottawa Fury at 3pm, April 19th, 2014. It was about 4 degrees in the stands and though the fields were clear and most of the snow had melted, there was still sizable mounds of it around Keith Harris Field at Carleton University and elsewhere in the city. You know that if there's still snow in Ottawa, there will still be snow everywhere else in Canada except Southwest Ontario and BC. I think the ideal date to start the season is the second or third weekend of April. I think the CPL would have started a week earlier this year, but that's Easter Long Weekend and probably wouldn't get a great turnout.

I was at both that game and the TD stadium opening game fwiw.

Archived