CPL Season Schedule

1 hour ago, Raven1555362272 said:

I'm hoping Pacific FC change the start time for the season opener from 4 to 3pm. The last ferry back to Pender on Sundays is at 7pm. I've had 12 verbal commitments from people who want to go but if the game starts at 4pm we will likely miss the ferry home.

Seems odd when the rest of the weekend games are generally 3:00 pm.

55 minutes ago, grande said:

It's official. Spring/Fall season.

FUCK that bullshit

54 minutes ago, Ansem said:

3 games for Canada day!!!!

Triple header at 6pm (E.T)

• FC Edmonton vs HFX Wanderers
  • Pacific vs Cavalry
  • Valour vs York 9

No Forge probably due to the CFL

No forge due to the fact we only have seven teams. Who would they play? LOL

14 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Actually you're right. 7pm would seem the most logical west coast kickoff time for TV ratings....8pm in Victoria is midnight in Halifax?

Speaking with Brad before the schedule dropped, I would think that they wanted as much time to get people out to the park as possible. Traffic weekday evenings is horrific (by our standards) and they also want as much time to sell food and beverages as possible.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ted said:

...Speaking with Brad before the schedule dropped, I would think that they wanted as much time to get people out to the park as possible. Traffic weekday evenings is horrific (by our standards) and they also want as much time to sell food and beverages as possible.

makes sense given ticket sales will be the biggest avenue the league has for cash. still a little weird as it will have a massive impact on tv audiences and a possible hit on family and youth attendance.

11 minutes ago, ted said:

Speaking with Brad before the schedule dropped, I would think that they wanted as much time to get people out to the park as possible. Traffic weekday evenings is horrific (by our standards) and they also want as much time to sell food and beverages as possible.

From a club and local perspective that makes complete sense. I do think Matty could be onto something with the TV views though 

6 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

no issue with spring / fall, it makes the most sense with a low number of teams.

just dont understand why its not a balanced schedule between the seasons.  The spring season isnt even a full home and away round robin.  why only 10 games and not 12?

Only guessing, but perhaps they initially designed the schedule so the spring champion qualified for the CL, only to be told that Jul 1 was too late by CONCACAF. Then they stuck with it because having Canada Day be the end of the season was too good a marketing opportunity to pass up. I can also understand not wanting the deciding week of your spring season falling in the doldrums of mid July, but from a competitive standpoint, uneven seasons is a real head scratcher.

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

overall points over both seasons

The idea that a team that doesn't win either season could be crowned champion kinda sucks. I don't know if this is me just nit picking because i'm against the format, but it seems a lot like a playoff

18 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Just noticed that the ‘clausura’ (ugh...) is almost twice the length of the ‘apertura’ (ugh...) 

Yet another reason this format sucks. How can one ‘half season’ champ be crowned after only playing 1/3 of the games?

I expect this is for this year only due to how Concacaf League is getting it's Canadian team. With the 2020 CL league getting the 2019 CanPL champion I think the A/C setup will move to a 14/14 setup. This also will help the CanPL match the MLS transfer window.

3 minutes ago, KW519 said:

The idea that a team that doesn't win either season could be crowned champion kinda sucks. I don't know if this is me just nit picking because i'm against the format, but it seems a lot like a playoff

i agree.  in some other leagues that use apertura/clausura, if one team wins both, they are declared champion with no playoff required.  makes too much sense.

27 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

just dont understand why its not a balanced schedule between the seasons.  The spring season isnt even a full home and away round robin.  why only 10 games and not 12?

They want to squeeze it in before CONCACAF League starts I imagine

22 minutes ago, KW519 said:

If 1 club wins both seasons and 2 different clubs finish 2nd what method is being used to determine who makes the championship? 

If 1 club wins both seasons they should be champions period, if their chosen gimmick is to not have playoffs. If they have to engineer a one-off championship game no matter what then just have playoffs.

one more thing and i'll stop complaining.  there should be at least a 2 week break between season, for teams to regroup, make roster changes, trial players, etc.  This is why it makes sense to differentiate between seasons.  another season starting from one week to the next is so artificial, what is the point?

I'm not big on hating on the internet but read the championship game disclaimer.

"If the same team wins, next highest cumulative point total across both competitions earns a berth"

This is the most ridiculous thing I think anyone could've dreamed up.  No one wanted a spring and fall season but then to say a team can win BOTH the spring and fall seasons but not be crowned the champion is nuts.  

The league official's CONCACAF'd this one.  

3 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

I'm not big on hating on the internet but read the championship game disclaimer.

"If the same team wins, next highest cumulative point total across both competitions earns a berth"

This is the most ridiculous thing I think anyone could've dreamed up.  No one wanted a spring and fall season but then to say a team can win BOTH the spring and fall seasons but not be crowned the champion is nuts.  

the team that finishes 4th in both seasons goes to the final, wins, wear the awesome badge, goes to cl, repeats

To avoid the 4th placed team wins the big prize scenario, they could have made access to the post-season open to any club that finished top two in either season, so if there are four qualifiers you have semis and a final, if only three then fall champion plays winner of the other two, if only two then that's your championship game.

40 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

The league needs a championship final. It will probably be sold out and will be a showcase game for the league.

33 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

Agreed, this is utter insanity. In addition, it ensures first place team after 10 games now has nothing to play for in the 2nd half of the year (if there was a reward for finishing first in both halves - ie you are award the championship without a final - then this would not be a problem)

It reminds me a bit of the 1981 MLB season, after a strike mid-way through the year they started the everyone at zero and said the 1st place team at the time that the strike hit would gain a berth into an extended playoff series. The LA Dodgers were in first place in the NL West were granted a spot in the playoffs and had little to play for in the 2nd half of the season as they had already made the playoffs and were very average in the 2nd half of the season. Houston won the division in the 2nd half, but the team with the best record overall in the division and the league were the Cincinnati Reds - they didn't make the playoffs because they finished 2nd in each half. It could be argued that the Dodgers (who went on to win the World Series) might have tried harder in the 2nd half with something to play for rather than using the games as glorified exhibition games to try out new players, esp. down the stretch. But that's exactly what can happen here with this format.

I am just so happy to get the full schedule released, now I can make plans for the Forge home matches and any road trips I will go on! With 7 teams and the CCL it was always going to be a little weird the 1st season, I’m so looking forward to this the format is not gonna ruin my buzz!

Archived