CPL Season Schedule

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's going to be a 10-match Spring season which ends just before CONCACAF League starts, followed by an 18-match Fall season.

Pretty weird, hopefully it's just a one-off format to accommodate this year's CONCACAF League qualification and keep things more interesting with only seven clubs and a lot of repeat matchups. It would be nice to hear their thought process on this, and hopefully get reassurance that it isn't the long-term plan because I think pretty much everyone agrees that it's a terrible format for a short season.

1 minute ago, Alex D said:

I love it, more time to get to the match after work. 

that's good i also just noticed there are several 11pm Et games being played in victoria by york and forge. seems like an iffy move tv wise. it's not bad but iffy 

12 minutes ago, matty said:

that's good i also just noticed there are several 11pm Et games being played in victoria by york and forge. seems like an iffy move tv wise. it's not bad but iffy 

Just as a 8pm kickoff suits most in Ontario, a 8pm kickoff probably suits most in BC. 

I’m not really happy with this. Apertura clausura feels gimmicky. I guess they’re hoping it will keep fans of less successful clubs engaged by keeping the stakes higher for longer, but I don’t like it. 

In my opinion, the club with the most points at the end of a season should be champion. No playoffs, no second chances. It’s all so tacky. 

I guess I’ll just need to live with it unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, matty said:

oh that's why i said it isn't bad. it's great for live likely but weird in terms of tv especially given the media deal

Actually you're right. 7pm would seem the most logical west coast kickoff time for TV ratings....8pm in Victoria is midnight in Halifax?

5 minutes ago, RickC said:

I think it's likely the a/c format is due to concacaf league, but I suppose time will tell. I'm interested in Forge's home game vs Valour on June 15th...using their black and gold kit. 

you mean to decide who goea this year? i really doubt it. i think this is forever and by that i mean at least 5 years

The decision regarding the CONCACAF League makes even less sense with this new format. The last qualifying game featuring Valour, Forge or Edmonton is only 5 days before the end of the Spring season. If you just wait a week and send your spring champion, they can prioritize CL games over CanPL games in the second half, safe in the knowledge they’ve already qualified for the Final. No guarantee of that now.

11 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Just as a 8pm kickoff suits most in Ontario, a 8pm kickoff probably suits most in BC. 

Here is where a a bit of a challenge arises that doesn't exist in MLS.....Canada has even more time zones.

There is an Atlantic time zone and a Newfoundland time zone. Some of these games will be on at 12:30am Newfoundland time. 

But even if you don't think Newfoundland is important because it has no team there is a specific example of a Pacific vs Wanderers game on a Wednesday in October that is 10pm est. So 11pm for people in Halifax. 

I think it's going to be a challenge going forward.

Archived