CPL General

28 minutes ago, narduch said:

Pretty much expected this.

As it should be. I'd personally like to see them switch the North Star Shield to recognize the regular season champion and have the new cup recognize the playoff champion. I know there had been some talk here of giving the latter a name in keeping with the other awards - maybe the Borealis Cup? 

1 minute ago, MtlMario said:

Do not know what happened there but what happens if the regular season and playoff winner is the same team? Who gets the other Champion League spot?

I figure it would be the other finalist? Just guessing. 

I'm also wondering what happens if a CPL team wins the Voyageurs Cup and qualifies via the league?

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Do not know what happened there but what happens if the regular season and playoff winner is the same team? Who gets the other Champion League spot?

If a CPL team wins the regular season and the playoffs, "the next best regular-season finisher earns the (other) berth."

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I figure it would be the other finalist? Just guessing. 

I'm also wondering what happens if a CPL team wins the Voyageurs Cup and qualifies via the league?

If you parse this article, it amounts to: any other method of qualifying for the CCL taking precedence over the Voyageurs Cup.  So if the VC winner also qualified through the CPL, MLS, or the Leagues Cup, then their spot from the VC would go to the VC runner up. 

https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/06/01/concacaf-champions-league-2024-qualification-format-criteria

13 minutes ago, Kingston said:

If a CPL team wins the regular season and the playoffs, "the next best regular-season finisher earns the (other) berth."

If you parse this article, it amounts to: any other method of qualifying for the CCL taking precedence over the Voyageurs Cup.  So if the VC winner also qualified through the CPL, MLS, or the Leagues Cup, then their spot from the VC would go to the VC runner up. 

https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/06/01/concacaf-champions-league-2024-qualification-format-criteria

This will get interesting if the Voyageurs Cup winner gets seeded in a higher pot then the CPL winner.

A lot of oddball scenarios are technically possible because there are so many possible ways for Canadian teams to qualify for the CCL.  It seems unlikely to me that we'll have to go very far down those different rabbit holes, but I'd be delighted for us to have the "problem" of sorting out the order of precedence because so many Canadian teams qualified.

Comparison in regards to making or losing money
https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2023/02/02/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-clubs-2023-lafc-is-the-first-billion-dollar-franchise/

Some turns a profit but most are losing money

Only Chicago Fire loses more money than the Canadian clubs at -$18M.

NYCFC loses as much as Montreal at -$12M

Toronto FC (-$15M)

Vancouver Whitecaps (-$15M)

CF Montreal (-$12M)

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2023/02/02/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-clubs-2023-lafc-is-the-first-billion-dollar-franchise/

Toronto FC (-$15M)

CF Montreal (-$12M)

One more reason for me not to watch MLS. I'll give in for CCL though. 

56 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Toronto FC (-$15M)

CF Montreal (-$12M)

What does this have to do with CPL?

28 minutes ago, Ftduck said:

One more reason for me not to watch MLS. I'll give in for CCL though. 

Strange reasoning. Nearly every professional sports team in North America "loses" money (including the CPL), and unless you're an owner it shouldn't bother you all that much.

12 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Nothing, but it can be presented as a negative about the Canadian MLS clubs, which is popular with some posters here.

Such a strange mentality.

Why wouldn't those people want teams in both leagues to succeed?

33 minutes ago, RS said:

What does this have to do with CPL?

24 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Nothing, but it can be presented as a negative about the Canadian MLS clubs, which is popular with some posters here.

Context, meaning that losing money doesn't necessarily means that clubs or the league are about to go bankrupt - which is popular with some posters here.

Best example is Valour. Despite the organization being profitable as a whole despite the club itself losing money, you'll see "they are about to lose patience with this club" kind of comment.

Edited by Ansem

2 minutes ago, RS said:

You're talking about one guy. 

Others have made those kind of comment (here and on social media) and it's not a bad thing to remind the context with CPL being in season 5. There's a lot of readers who don't necessarily post

Edited by Ansem

27 minutes ago, RS said:

Such a strange mentality.

Why wouldn't those people want teams in both leagues to succeed?

I think it shows that it's very difficult for Canadian MLS teams to succeed. There are so many variables that Canadian MLS teams have to deal with compared to their American counterparts. None of which work in their favor 

And then yes, in people's wildest fantasies those 3 teams would play in the CPL

Edited by SpursFlu

50 minutes ago, RS said:

Strange reasoning. Nearly every professional sports team in North America "loses" money (including the CPL), and unless you're an owner it shouldn't bother you all that much.

I was reacting to the article linked. I just lose interest when I read billion dollar team. Too big for me. 

Edited by Ftduck