CPL General

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

Honestly I think it's probably something left over from a previous meeting in the same room.

Most likely but it's more fun to pretend it's something positive given the wee bit of negativity that sometimes rears its head on here :)

4 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Next step is to try and identify the cityscape in the presentation.

Then we move on to isolating fingerprints from those cups on the left.

CSI-CPL starring Bruce Greenwood, Molly Parker, Sandra Oh and Chris Jericho coming soon to CBC

4 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Problem being that these so called "perfectly fine stadia" probably have permanently marked fieldturf with gridiron markings and athletics track, which would be heavily used by other users during the latter part of the season. Taylor Field in Regina getting bulldozed was probably the beginning of the end as it could have been retrofitted to be soccer specific and appears to have been the preferred option for the Saskatchewan group.

Exactly. Not sure it was every 100% confirmed or not but I think one of the priorities for all stadium is that they would be soccer specific. 

The only other 'Perfectly fine stadia' is potentially Griffith, which actually isn't perfectly fine as it isn't fifa regulation large enough until the take out the track, which is happening (may have happened) but not sure when. I don't think the Huskies are planning to move to the new Gordie Howe set up across the city (also not matching fifa sizes). 

The only thing that would stop Exhibition happening is cost or interest from whomever owns the land to give it the go ahead, something I imagine had to have been cleared prior to going public with the intention of playing there. The Prairie Land ground would have been a relatively easy and quick set up, has ample parking, hotels around, pretty decent transport links in terms to being close to the ring road, 5 minute drive to downtown and was really from my perspective as good an option as downtown. Hell they could have run riverboats down to the stadium from downtown.

I'd agree with there still just being a lot of speculation and few facts. 

4 hours ago, Soefeia said:

So before getting into this, I would like to clarify a few things.

To begin with, the man’s last name is Genier not Grenier.

Secondly and more importantly, you did not actually ‘discover’ these tweets, did you? These are your tweets under the mlswriters Twitter account. Correct me if I am wrong but I have seen enough on here that I am reasonably confident that this forum account, mlswriters, and Pat are all the same person. 

And if that is the case, you realize what you are doing do you not? You are actually creating the rumours you are referring to and in the process spreading misinformation. So perhaps it is time to relax a little.

And to help you relax here are a couple pieces of information. Mr Genier was not an investor, so as of this moment the potential Saskatchewan ownership simply needs to replace him. It does not change their situation except for how easily it will be to find the right person. Of course, many things are changing rapidly with many of the ownership groups so this is not to say that it is guaranteed that they will find a replacement and move forward. Secondly when ‘Rob’, potentially from Lloydminster I suppose, responds to you saying that he has not followed the situation closely, you should take it to mean that he does not know what he is talking about. I am afraid I do not know what the Saskatoon stadium situation is now as admittedly I have not had new information on it in for a couple months. But up to a point it seemed very much like it would be a go.

Finally @LAK the old Taylor Field site was at least a remote possibility at one point. It may have been very remote, but the possibility was at least considered by officials in Regina.

You have the highest value-to-post ratio on here.  It isn't even close.

13 hours ago, DoyleG said:

Can't imagine that smaller pie being worth losing one's shirt over.

The league says it will have franchises in Edmonton and the Fraser Valley, but the last two such teams there ended up going under.

In the end he's an employee who is pursuing the best opportunities available to him. If CEBL offered him more money or he thinks he'll be able to parley the more impressive job title into something in the future, he's just pursuing his natural self interests. I don't think there's any indication that he's invested directly in CEBL, so I don't think he'll be losing his shirt. I'm pretty skeptical about CEBL but also pretty ignorant about it, so I'll avoid making any predictions about their future

Regardless, I agree with the above that it probably doesn't reflect much on CPL's Sask team

Edited by Complete Homer

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Anyone else try clicking the link only to be taken to some random site that’s not the 11?

There are issues for some who have ad blockers (remember, ads are how sites like mine generate revenue, turning on ad blockers takes that away from us!). Someone seems to have found a way to re-direct those who have them up... (If you're not running an ad blocker, let me know).  The problem doesn't seem to be related to the site, we checked the back end and it's clean. 

The best thing to do is to go directly to the site's homepage. After all, you don't need new links – you all check it religiously, right? :) 

31 minutes ago, stevensandor said:

There are issues for some who have ad blockers (remember, ads are how sites like mine generate revenue, turning on ad blockers takes that away from us!). Someone seems to have found a way to re-direct those who have them up... (If you're not running an ad blocker, let me know).  The problem doesn't seem to be related to the site, we checked the back end and it's clean. 

The best thing to do is to go directly to the site's homepage. After all, you don't need new links – you all check it religiously, right? :) 

Awesome, thanks Steve. I’ll disable my adblocker before visiting your site! Love your writing, keep up the great work.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

I see the commissioner mentioning the baseball stadium as a leverage play. Good cop bad cop. Faith plays good saying it’s an option while commish plays bad. Just hope cooler heads prevail and they realize that they can all exist together 

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I see it as a commissioner desperate to ensure Edmonton is in the league in year one and is worried about further delays or complications.

Ok so you’re in the BBTB negative camp and I’m in the positive camp. Guess we’ll know soon enough :)

Just now, Rheo said:

Ok so you’re in the BBTB negative camp and I’m in the positive camp. Guess we’ll know soon enough :)

I think they'll get something resolved at Clarke.  I don't think it's a leverage play by the commissioner.  I think they really are just scrapping the minimum number of teams they need, and he's desperate to ensure he doesn't lose one.  Take that for what you will.

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think they'll get something resolved at Clarke.  I don't think it's a leverage play by the commissioner.  I think they really are just scrapping the minimum number of teams they need, and he's desperate to ensure he doesn't lose one.  Take that for what you will.

And I agree to disagree sir. As I said we’ll know soon enough. Cheers

16 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Is it your contention they're starting with more than 8 teams, the minimum they would need to get started?

Disagree with your contention that it’s a desperate play to stay alive. In my opinion they’ve been very cautious all along. When they start being more forward with information they aren’t hoping for a Hail Mary, just trying to get better terms. I might be wrong but we’ll know soon enough