CPL General

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Problem being that these so called "perfectly fine stadia" probably have permanently marked fieldturf with gridiron markings and athletics track, which would be heavily used by other users during the latter part of the season. Taylor Field in Regina getting bulldozed was probably the beginning of the end as it could have been retrofitted to be soccer specific and appears to have been the preferred option for the Saskatchewan group.

Taylor Field was never going to be kept around and retrofitted. It was never part of anyone's plan. It was never on the table for discussion with the city. I don't know who first suggested it, but if anything it was a fantasy kind of "what if" from someone who didn't know the city's stance on it. It was in the books and a date on the calendar was picked for demolition long before New Mosaic was even finished.

32 minutes ago, LAK said:

Taylor Field was never going to be kept around and retrofitted. It was never part of anyone's plan. It was never on the table for discussion with the city. I don't know who first suggested it, but if anything it was a fantasy kind of "what if" from someone who didn't know the city's stance on it. It was in the books and a date on the calendar was picked for demolition long before New Mosaic was even finished.

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/groups-pro-soccer-push-includes-downtown-stadium-for-saskatoon

...Belan is also talking with Regina about putting the team there. One of his ideas was to use a large portion of the old Taylor Field, including the west grandstand. That would have saved him money in stadium construction, and the city money in demolition. The proposal didn’t pan out...

1 hour ago, Impactsupporter said:

If there is to be a pro soccer team in Saskatchewan, where would it work better Regina or Saskatoon.

As well can the province support 2 pro soccer teams(representing Regina and Saskatoon) or only 1 (that would represent the whole province of Saskatchewan).

Just wondering.

There are people here that still live in Sask that can probably provide a better opinion, but I was born and raised there and return on a regular basis so I think I've got a bit of insight.  

Saskatoon - Advantages - no local summer pro sports, bigger population than Regina with a better demographic. Disadvantages - no existing venue checks the boxes for CPL, ownership not clear.  For what the CPL is looking for, I think they could do it.  If you can get 13,000 plus to 8 lacrosse games each winter (with no real history of the sport) getting CPL level crowds is doable.

Regina - Advantages - if the Roughriders were interested they would have instant connections, credibility, and infrastructure.  Beautiful new stadium (a bit large for CPL) that locals still are in honeymoon stage with. Disadvantages - Roughriders totally dominate the market so if they are not involved, would be very tough, no soccer history.

Realistically, they are separate markets.  While you hear the stories of fans driving from all over the province to come to Roughrider games, I don't think that's realistic for anything else.  The vast majority of Roughrider season ticket holders live in the "metro Regina/Moose Jaw area."  The people that do the Roughrider road trips typically do one or two a year and are sacred traditions that sometimes have been happening for decades.   There are undoubtably people that drive for hours and have season tickets, but it probably accounts for no more than a few thousand fans.  You are not going to be able to create that with any new sport.  I don't think more than a handful of people from Regina would have season tickets to lacrosse in Saskatoon, and those would be truly the most die-hard fans of the sport. 

33 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/groups-pro-soccer-push-includes-downtown-stadium-for-saskatoon

...Belan is also talking with Regina about putting the team there. One of his ideas was to use a large portion of the old Taylor Field, including the west grandstand. That would have saved him money in stadium construction, and the city money in demolition. The proposal didn’t pan out...

One of HIS ideas...

Part of the the CPL business model stresses the importance of regional rivalries.  I don't think they'd want one team for the province.  A Regina/Saskatoon rivalry, as the AL-Classico showed us last weekend, in one of the most appealing ones hopefully in the future of the league.

So this was an inaccurate description:

1 hour ago, LAK said:

Taylor Field was never going to be kept around and retrofitted. It was never part of anyone's plan. It was never on the table for discussion with the city. I don't know who first suggested it, but if anything it was a fantasy kind of "what if" from someone who didn't know the city's stance on it...

From what I remember, the Taylor Field scenario was also being mentioned when the Valencia vs NY Cosmos friendly was played last summer clearly as a way to gauge the market for a Regina CanPL team.

2 hours ago, PJSweet said:

I discovered these interesting tweets. It appears by all accounts that Lee Grenier has indeed stepped down as one of the investors of the Saskatoon bid. It all had to do with the stadium situation. The whole bid could now be dead unless the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL could revive the bid in Regina. I'm very sad by this news and I hope that there's still an opportunity for pro-soccer in Saskatchewan. Winnipeg needs a crosstown regional rival. Please don't let this be true. 

Sask.jpg

So before getting into this, I would like to clarify a few things.

To begin with, the man’s last name is Genier not Grenier.

Secondly and more importantly, you did not actually ‘discover’ these tweets, did you? These are your tweets under the mlswriters Twitter account. Correct me if I am wrong but I have seen enough on here that I am reasonably confident that this forum account, mlswriters, and Pat are all the same person. 

And if that is the case, you realize what you are doing do you not? You are actually creating the rumours you are referring to and in the process spreading misinformation. So perhaps it is time to relax a little.

And to help you relax here are a couple pieces of information. Mr Genier was not an investor, so as of this moment the potential Saskatchewan ownership simply needs to replace him. It does not change their situation except for how easily it will be to find the right person. Of course, many things are changing rapidly with many of the ownership groups so this is not to say that it is guaranteed that they will find a replacement and move forward. Secondly when ‘Rob’, potentially from Lloydminster I suppose, responds to you saying that he has not followed the situation closely, you should take it to mean that he does not know what he is talking about. I am afraid I do not know what the Saskatoon stadium situation is now as admittedly I have not had new information on it in for a couple months. But up to a point it seemed very much like it would be a go.

Finally @LAK the old Taylor Field site was at least a remote possibility at one point. It may have been very remote, but the possibility was at least considered by officials in Regina.

4 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Part of the the CPL business model stresses the importance of regional rivalries.  I don't think they'd want one team for the province.  A Regina/Saskatoon rivalry, as the AL-Classico showed us last weekend, in one of the most appealing ones hopefully in the future of the league.

Right, as an end goal for the future...but isn't a requirement to enter the league...otherwise Halifax, Winnipeg and BC wouldn't be there right now.

24 minutes ago, Soefeia said:

Finally @LAK the old Taylor Field site was at least a remote possibility at one point. It may have been very remote, but the possibility was at least considered by officials in Regina.

Fair enough point... However, and this is a minor difference "considered by officials" or that it was presented to council? I'm not sure it was actually ever considered seriously.

Edited by LAK

8 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

So this was an inaccurate description:

From what I remember, the Taylor Field scenario was also being mentioned when the Valencia vs NY Cosmos friendly was played last summer clearly as a way to gauge the market for a Regina CanPL team.

The Taylor Field scenario being mentioned prior to that friendly was being floated out there by Belan, who was involved in setting up that match.  I think it was being used as a measure to gauge for the market for CPL.  Once that friendly was done, Belan's group pretty much focused on Saskatoon.   I don't know why as the Regina friendly had decent attendance.  Although I'd speculate that maybe they realized that it would be a tough road in Regina if they didn't have Roughrider involvement.  

7 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right, as an end goal for the future...but isn't a requirement to enter the league...otherwise Halifax, Winnipeg and BC wouldn't be there right now.

Agreed.  My original response was in reference to the original poster (I should of quoted it for context) who wondered if a Saskatchewan team would be like the Riders and a regional team for the province.  I was totally assuming big picture that the CPL would be envisioning a rivalry there when/if the time is right given all the things they've said about their plans/ideas for the future.