CPL General

http://www.totalsoccerproject.com/2018/05/fc-edmonton-alberta-rivalry-canadian-premier-league/

“I think the ownership group have some decisions to make at this point. But the reality is, 3,000 fans came out to watch an academy friendly. That’s a really big deal.”

Don't think FCE can be announced as being in until the Clarke Stadium expansion is agreed with the city, because they lose leverage if they drop the we won't be back unless things change posture. Maybe the way around that is the franchise being awarded provisionally subject to resolution of the stadium issue.

2 hours ago, ted said:

In another tweet he says to see the list of cities.

BC IS NOT A CITY YOU GEOGRAPHICALLY IGNORANT KNOB!

Sorry, I just couldn't hold that in.

And York. At least, he isn't referring to a city called York.

The big takeaway from the basketball news is that it looks like Lee Grenier is no longer involved in the Saskatoon soccer project. That is a big lose.

From the Black Hole @FrTheBlackHole
FollowFollow @FrTheBlackHole
More

From the Black Hole Retweeted Lee Genier ??

Congrats Lee. Sad to lose you on the soccer front but excited for you and your new opportunity. Good luck!

From the Black Hole added,

DcMXBcrV4AEpxQL.jpg
Lee Genier ?? @LeeGenier
Incredibly excited to join the Canadian Elite Basketball League ? as President & Chief Operating Officer, Western Operations as we launch across Canada ?? today! Here we come Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Fraser Valley, Guelph, Hamilton, Niagara! An amazin…
5:59 AM - 2 May 2018

8 minutes ago, masster said:

The big takeaway from the basketball news is that it looks like Lee Grenier is no longer involved in the Saskatoon soccer project. That is a big lose.

From the Black Hole @FrTheBlackHole
FollowFollow @FrTheBlackHole
More

From the Black Hole Retweeted Lee Genier ??

Congrats Lee. Sad to lose you on the soccer front but excited for you and your new opportunity. Good luck!

From the Black Hole added,

DcMXBcrV4AEpxQL.jpg
Lee Genier ?? @LeeGenier
Incredibly excited to join the Canadian Elite Basketball League ? as President & Chief Operating Officer, Western Operations as we launch across Canada ?? today! Here we come Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Fraser Valley, Guelph, Hamilton, Niagara! An amazin…
5:59 AM - 2 May 2018

Does this mean that Saskatoon is out of the running for a CPL franchise. Can we confirm this? If so, this will be a huge loss.

Edited by Pat Carrasco

Lee Grenier may be out of the Sask CPL bid but we don't know that officially.  He hasn't said that himself that I've seen (although the FTBH people might be in the know).  People can hold more than one job, ie Scott Mitchell is president (or similar positions with) the Tiger Cats, the CPL team and CSB.

25 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Lee Grenier may be out of the Sask CPL bid but we don't know that officially.  He hasn't said that himself that I've seen (although the FTBH people might be in the know).  People can hold more than one job, ie Scott Mitchell is president (or similar positions with) the Tiger Cats, the CPL team and CSB.

While we might both have a vice grip on that box of straws I still think this is the case. Belan was the driving force behind it I thought. I still think they could use the same resources and business/presentation model the rush do. Lee could very well be involved just more of a silent partner as basketball certainly seems his main focus now. 

Maybe someone should tweet and see if he is committal to an answer :P he certainly hasn't said anything to believe absolutely isn't involved anymore.

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

While we might both have a vice grip on that box of straws I still think this is the case. Belan was the driving force behind it I thought. I still think they could use the same resources and business/presentation model the rush do. Lee could very well be involved just more of a silent partner as basketball certainly seems his main focus now. 

Maybe someone should tweet and see if he is committal to an answer :P he certainly hasn't said anything to believe absolutely isn't involved anymore.

Have we established who owns the Saskatoon basketball club?  Would be willing to bet Belan is involved.

38 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I'm just guessing, but given the way he responds on Twitter (directing conversation towards CEBL and ducking questions about his CPL involvement), I'm thinking he's out in CPL. Shame but unlikely to be critical 

It probably all boils down to having a viable stadium plan. If Lee Genier is no longer involved it will probably be because the downtown stadium plan that was pitched back in September is unlikely to happen:

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/groups-pro-soccer-push-includes-downtown-stadium-for-saskatoon

and the Prairieland location that was mentioned as a possible temporary location isn't seen as a viable permanent solution.

37 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Why did he jump ship? Stadium situation just meant it would be sooner with basketball?

I assume upward trajectory? Being President/CEO of CEBL is probably a bigger role with higher upside than being an executive for a single CPL team. Arguable depending on your take on the likelihood of each league's success but he might be interested in a bigger slice of a smaller pie

51 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Why? Unlike Lee Genier he's very much a soccer guy given he played for the U-23 national team at one point and in the last season of the original CSL for the Winnipeg Fury.

He's been involved in trying to bring NHL hockey in some form to Saskatoon, and has also tried to get involved in talks about building a new arena in downtown Saskatoon.  So it seems like he has other sports interests as well.

4 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Not really anything but:

If they are planning on jumping ship, I'd be surprised if they announce it with the initial group of teams - they'll probably wait until closer to the end like they did with the NASL transfer.

Also they may want to see if OFFC can turn their season around, but the league certainly isn't going to gain any prestige by sucking up a USL bottomfeeder.

11 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I assume upward trajectory? Being President/CEO of CEBL is probably a bigger role with higher upside than being an executive for a single CPL team. Arguable depending on your take on the likelihood of each league's success but he might be interested in a bigger slice of a smaller pie

Can't imagine that smaller pie being worth losing one's shirt over.

The league says it will have franchises in Edmonton and the Fraser Valley, but the last two such teams there ended up going under.

I discovered these interesting tweets. It appears by all accounts that Lee Grenier has indeed stepped down as one of the investors of the Saskatoon bid. It all had to do with the stadium situation. The whole bid could now be dead unless the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL could revive the bid in Regina. I'm very sad by this news and I hope that there's still an opportunity for pro-soccer in Saskatchewan. Winnipeg needs a crosstown regional rival. Please don't let this be true. 

Sask.jpg

Edited by PJSweet

Problem being that these so called "perfectly fine stadia" probably have permanently marked fieldturf with gridiron markings and athletics track, which would be heavily used by other users during the latter part of the season. Taylor Field in Regina getting bulldozed was probably the beginning of the end as it could have been retrofitted to be soccer specific and appears to have been the preferred option for the Saskatchewan group.