CPL General

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That really is an intriguing chart for the future of footy in this country.  It squares with what we have probably all intuitively seen - that a significantly larger portion of young people are into footy than are into lots of other sports.  In terms of CPL prospects, that has to have potential owners salivating at the idea of a strong, core cohort of viewers that will "consume" the product for decades to come.   

it's strange how soccer and football are reverse images of each other.  

10 hours ago, LAK said:

@Ansem @Diamondium makes sense. I guess I have trouble buying into the doom and gloom of CFL's aging fan base because you don't see that at live games, you see demographics all the way from kids to their grandparents and everything in between. 

This is probably true. However, people bringing their kids to the game and them becoming fans, which they do become no doubt, isn't enough for the league's long term out look. Now, Joe Mac (a guy who I actually do like on here despite us constantly being at each other's throat every so often) will disagree with this which is okay, but I have a theory that the CFL only has a dedicated fanbase (ticket buyers and consistent TV viewers) of about 3 million (if that) Canadians, that's it. The same people who go to their respective CFL team's home game are also tuning into TSN to watch the other teams play. If the league played all the games around the same time, the CFL's average TV ratings most likely wouldn't be a third of what it is, and the league knows this which is why every game plays at a different time. However, I think that's misguided short term thinking at best. You can't build a fanbase by shoving something down their throats during every weekend in the late summer and fall. Too much of anything is never a good thing and having more than 2 dedicated time slots for the CFL is a mistake. The Bundesliga has less time slots than the CFL and that league has twice the number of teams in it. That league does things to intentionally stifle high TV viewership but it still managed to generate a domestic TV contract that's almost 1.3 billion dollars US starting next season. Even when you take population size into account considering Germany is three times Canada's size, per capita doesn't paint a pretty picture either.   If Canada had Germany's population, the CFL would only have a $90 million dollar US TV contract, so 14 and a half times less than the Bundesliga. Before I go any further, I just have to say there is no sports league on planet earth that recycles the same number of fans to consume its product like the CFL does, and pretty soon those fans will eventually expire. So, unless, the CFL is banking on creating something like a pre 1990s Chicago Blackhawks like fan base, that was entirely made up of the 20000 in Chicago Stadium, for its 9 franchises (Sask, Ottawa and Hamilton could pull it off), this league's future doesn't look healthy IMO. 

Edited by Macksam

this is kind of out of the blue, but I have a minor request for CPL on tv.

you know how they have a little red card on the score ticker when a player gets a red? 

Can we do this with yellows?  Like imagine you flip to a game and it's zero zero but there are 6 yellows on either side.  That's a game that I want to watch.

41 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

this is kind of out of the blue, but I have a minor request for CPL on tv.

you know how they have a little red card on the score ticker when a player gets a red? 

Can we do this with yellows?  Like imagine you flip to a game and it's zero zero but there are 6 yellows on either side.  That's a game that I want to watch.

I thought you were serious until this. Hilarious!

Steven Sandor was on Soccer Today yesterday and had a few Edmonton/CPL insights

-There has been friendly dialogue between the team and CPL

-Sandor talked to someone with the Oilers (VP Susan Derrington) and they're prepared to support Edmonton FC, Eskimos have said no and have a working relationship (sounded like avoiding scheduling stuff) so if there was a second team it would be from an unknown group.

-The hardline (from Fath) that was there last year isn't there but there's still a line

-Ownership structure of the league is important to Fath, not a fan of collective ownership like USL/MLS, believes in the individual ownership model (live by your own choices)

Also in non-Edmonton news they talked Halifax stadium as well with James Covey

Edited by Rheo

40 minutes ago, Rheo said:

-The hardline (from Fath) that was there last year isn't there but there's still a line

-Ownership structure of the league is important to Fath, not a fan of collective ownership like USL/MLS, believes in the individual ownership model (live by your own choices)

I wonder if that gives a clue as to the nature of the business model, single entity vs high revenue sharing. 

41 minutes ago, Rheo said:

These may not be mutually exclusive.  Back when the CFL connection was being talked about, wasn't there some thought about the league itself being owned by those founding CFL teams, while other teams could join but wouldn't own a stake in the league?

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

These may not be mutually exclusive.  Back when the CFL connection was being talked about, wasn't there some thought about the league itself being owned by those founding CFL teams, while other teams could join but wouldn't own a stake in the league?

That's what got said by someone I'd say is (at least partially) in the know, but that same person backpedalled, so who knows. It was never clear if it was because they got the info wrong or if they just said something that wasn't supposed to be public.  

Dont forget they were kids during the depression too! My dad was born in 31, poor through the depression recovered just in time to go on ration books during WW2.  Quit school to work the farm because anyone older was in the forces.  Good thing the worst thing I have to worry about is whether the CPL is going to start with 6 teams in 2018 and whether there will be pro/reg.  

I would say 5 minutes. If you are injured enough to require medical attention, you need 5 minutes to be properly assessed. It would obviously remove the time wasting as well.  I would allow players to walk off the pitch while play is going on to receive medical attention and come back whenever they want as well.  But if they stop the game.  5 minutes

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

He is an incredibly unsafe driver, he took a pic of his speedometer while going 190km/hour.

14 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

He is an incredibly unsafe driver, he took a pic of his speedometer while going 190km/hour.

It's the autobahn. As long as it was someone else taking the picture, it's fine, there's lanes that go that fast on the autobahn. It's less safe to drive slower than the flow of traffic. 

52 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

It's the autobahn. As long as it was someone else taking the picture, it's fine, there's lanes that go that fast on the autobahn. It's less safe to drive slower than the flow of traffic. 

My comment was about taking a picture while driving, I undertand what the autobahn is.

14 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

someone brought up the idea of having players be forced to sit off for a few minutes if they are down on the pitch to prevent time wasting.. curious what people think would be an appropriate amount of time for this..

2 minutes?  3 minutes?  

Isn't it already a rule where you have to leave the pitch until you're waved on by the ref if you have to be treated?

Besides, this sounds like a great way to have people take shots at a star striker in the last 5 minutes of a game.

21 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

On the footy soldiers podcast it said that all the owners are going to be together in Toronto during the second leg of the voyageurs cup. Not sure what it means, but sounds like some sort of progress.

I took this is as the established owners when listening. There was really no context though. Be nice if there was another announcement but I won't hold my breathe

Steve Sandor posted an article on the11 this week about using stop time like basketball or hockey. I'm not sold on it, but that would be 1000x better than a system where you may punish players for being legitimately hurt.