June 13 vs Curacao in Montreal

matty

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one on the field, or should I say no Canadian, looked of international quality in that game.  It was a major disappointment from the TFC perspective, as well as the CMNT.  Watching the two games back to back really exhibited the difference in quality between TFC "2" and the two solid MLS teams in the late game.  Ottawa/Toronto had a division 3 feel to it and the Montreal Vancouver game looked like a top level MLS game.  I really hope the field and underestimating the opponent were a big reason why Chapman, Osorio, Edwards,... et al had such shockingly poor games.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎25 at 4:18 PM, Ruffian said:

Does anybody think MLS would make a commitment like this for CanMNT?

The beauty of single entity.  The "league" consisting of many cheapskate owners can unilaterally force TFC to release the guys they're paying $6M/year.  We've already put up with two consecutive years of Bradley being released early for both the Gold Cup and Copa America and then proceeding to miss an additional league game after elimination to play the 3rd place match.  If I remember correctly he was injured in last year's 3rd place match. 

17 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The beauty of single entity.  The "league" consisting of many cheapskate owners can unilaterally force TFC to release the guys they're paying $6M/year.  We've already put up with two consecutive years of Bradley being released early for both the Gold Cup and Copa America and then proceeding to miss an additional league game after elimination to play the 3rd place match.  If I remember correctly he was injured in last year's 3rd place match. 

I am not as upset about TFC losing their stars as I am about MLS treating USMNT different than CanMNT.

31 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I am not as upset about TFC losing their stars as I am about MLS treating USMNT different than CanMNT.

That's because USMNT games are run by SUM, which is an MLS marketing arm. As I said upthread, if CanMNT was making money for MLS like USMNT (and Mexico, when they play in the U.S.) does, you'd see the exact same treatment.

Copa America Centenario was also a SUM-organized tournament.

A couple quick questions from a Voyageurs newbie:

I ordered tickets and a Voyageurs T-Shirt in April. Will I receive electronic versions of the tickets? What are my chances of getting the T-Shirt before the match? 

Thanks. I'm looking forward to cheering on the CMNT in the supporter's section.

16 hours ago, Argile said:

A couple quick questions from a Voyageurs newbie:

I ordered tickets and a Voyageurs T-Shirt in April. Will I receive electronic versions of the tickets? What are my chances of getting the T-Shirt before the match? 

Thanks. I'm looking forward to cheering on the CMNT in the supporter's section.

The tickets are sent by email. The t-shirts will be given out at Bar 99 before the match.

Zambrano will announce the roster for the Curacao friendly tomorrow night during the Montreal Vancouver Voyageurs Cup match:

As Canada turns 150, the nation’s brightest stars return to Montreal as Canada’s Men’s National Team face Curacao at Stade Saputo on Tuesday, June 13th.

Support Canada at Stade Saputo > Buy Tickets

Canada Soccer's Men's National Team will feature a pair of Montréal-based players with Impact captain Patrice Bernier and goalkeeper Maxime Crépeau getting called into Canada's camp for the home Men's International Friendly.

Head coach Octavio Zambrano will announce his full camp roster on Tuesday 30 May during the Canadian Championship match night in Montréal. Zambrano will have a big group of 25 or more players in camp after which he will make his final selections for the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Very disappointing if true. Very disappointing not to have AJH also. His exclusion muddys the waters. Had he been selected, and had Tabla been the only Impact player absent, we would have a better idea of Tabla's commitment  level. Now it is unclear if Montreal requested him to stay or he simply is remaining uncomittal.

Regardless, we should have a strong group. Spoon may be there, which is a nice addition that I have personally overlooked in recent weeks in light of the Davies/Tabla/Edwards hype trains. No reason why Arfield shouldn't be there. Hoilett is already in Toronto, so I'm assuming he's good to go. Still optimistic about Cavallini. New blood in Cardova. Larin being a key piece will be involved I assume. Plenty to get excited about.

Full squad is out. Commence panic at the lack of Tabla. Outside of that, some very interesting choices (Pantemis, Fresenga, Kaye in particular):

CANADA
GK- Milan Borjan | POL / MKS Korona Kielce
GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
GK- James Pantemis |
CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / New York Cosmos
CB- Manjrekar James | HUN / Vasas Budapest
CB- Wandrille Lefèvre | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
CB/M- Adam Straith | CAN / FC Edmonton
FB- Fraser Aird |
FB- Kwame Awuah | CAN / New York City FC
FB- Juan Córdova | CHI / CD Huachipato
FB- Marcel de Jong | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
FB- Andrés Fresenga | URU / Cerro Largo FC
FB- Tyler Pasher | USA / Sporting Kansas City
M- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas
M- Patrice Bernier | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
M- Raheem Edwards | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Kianz Froese | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf
M- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Louisville City FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Samuel Piette | ESP / CD Izarra
M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
F- Marcus Haber | SCO / Dundee FC
M/F- Anthony Jackson-Hamel | CAN / Impact Montréal
F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC
F- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-s-summer-of-soccer-squad-announced-for-men-s-national-team-match-in-montr-al-p160840-preview-1

Awuah is an interesting choice. Zambrano must have seen what we saw with that selection.

The squad really does have an experimental feel to it though. I can't imagine this is our best team heading into Gold Cup, but rather one last chance to see who can make a case for themselves.

Archived