Roster for September WCQ - News / Discussion

shermanator

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, shorty said:

No word yet.  I'm super impatient!  Have to admit, something about this tweet made me wonder at the time if the announcement was going to be delayed:

Stay tuned.... we'll announce #CANMNT squad for FIFA World Cup Qualifiers later this afternoon.

.That tweet was only about an hour ago.   Announcement delayed?

1 minute ago, shorty said:

No word yet.  I'm super impatient!  Have to admit, something about this tweet made me wonder at the time if the announcement was going to be delayed:

Stay tuned.... we'll announce #CANMNT squad for FIFA World Cup Qualifiers later this afternoon.

CSA tweet from this morning said 1pm ET, but now they seem to be going with "later this afternoon".

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I disagree. I've questioned Floro's judgement before but remained loyal. If Larson is correct and Will is not in this camp because he only recently returned from injury I will be very disappointed. 

Why? He probably only just started training at 100%. Don't get me wrong, I'd have WJ in my roster 100% of the time if he was fully fit, but if he isn't we have a deep enough roster to get two results. The Hex starts in November, last thing we'd want is for WJ to put too many KMs on his foot that it gets worse and we are missing him for the first round.

Just now, Oranje said:

Why? He probably only just started training at 100%. Don't get me wrong, I'd have WJ in my roster 100% of the time if he was fully fit, but if he isn't we have a deep enough roster to get two results. The Hex starts in November, last thing we'd want is for WJ to put too many KMs on his foot that it gets worse and we are missing him for the first round.

Will at 80 or 90% is better than some of the other options we have. Will is the kind of guy who even if he isn't 100% match fit I would trust as a sub in the last few minutes of a tight game. 

5 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Hitch... One last ditch effort to get Cavallini on board.

Based on form, a cadre of Larin, Ricketts, Akindele, and Jackson are equally as attractive  to me as Cavallini anyway. Maybe the argument can be made that he suits the formation or he has SA experience, but 7 goals in 25 appearance isn't exactly show stopping 

(yeah I know you're kidding) 

6 minutes ago, Oranje said:

The thing is. We need to win in order to get to the hex. So I would rather use up some of Johnson's KM now and let him miss the first round of the hex if it means he gets us to the hex.

Just now, BuzzAndSting said:

Will at 80 or 90% is better than some of the other options we have. Will is the kind of guy who even if he isn't 100% match fit I would trust as a sub in the last few minutes of a tight game. 

Who says he is even at 80% or 90%? All we know is he definitely isn't 100%, he could be just over 50% for all we know. Bad example, but he broke his foot in the last minutes of a tight game (as he won the cup for TFC :P), but my thoughts are that Floro doesn't see us being in that situation due to the depth of our midfield, to his genius or downfall...

8 minutes ago, Oranje said:

you're assuming we actually make the next round missing an influential player. 

also training at 100% better mean JDG is nowhere near the roster and a guy like hoilett not with a club would not be training at 100% in a club environment. so do we leave him off or is there a double standard? 

2 minutes ago, canta15 said:

The thing is. We need to win in order to get to the hex. So I would rather use up some of Johnson's KM now and let him miss the first round of the hex if it means he gets us to the hex.

No we don't, two draws and Mexico defeating Honduras gets us there. I don't agree that we should be going for 2 draws, just based on previous matches, I wouldn't be surprised if that's Floro's thinking

2 minutes ago, Oranje said:

Who says he is even at 80% or 90%? All we know is he definitely isn't 100%, he could be just over 50% for all we know. Bad example, but he broke his foot in the last minutes of a tight game (as he won the cup for TFC :P), but my thoughts are that Floro doesn't see us being in that situation due to the depth of our midfield, to his genius or downfall...

oh thats scary. floro over estimating the situation thinking we're good enough to go through without some of our most experienced players. 

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

We apologise for the delay in the squad announcement. As per usual practice, the CSA just had to check to confirm that the whitecaps still hate Canada  #CANMNT 

*Canada soccer never said this just for the record. This is a voyageurs board epidemic only* 

I just assumed that (with all the commotion) the CSA embarrassingly forgot to add a replacement for Will, so now they are scrambling at the last minute.  :-)

6 minutes ago, Oranje said:

No we don't, two draws and Mexico defeating Honduras gets us there. I don't agree that we should be going for 2 draws, just based on previous matches, I wouldn't be surprised if that's Floro's thinking

You missed the point.I should have said result

This will be the exact same roster as the Mexico roster, except for Hume (out of season) and deGuzman, Henry, and now perhaps Johnson being replaced due to injury.

Jackson is in for Hume.

Petrasso and Teibert seem likely options.  

The Johnson spot, if necessary, will go to a rookie who will have no chance at seeing the pitch: Chapman or Hamilton.

5 minutes ago, David C. said:

I just assumed that (with all the commotion) the CSA embarrassingly forgot to add a replacement for Will, so now they are scrambling at the last minute.  :-)

I'm imagining the CSA as a one-man corner-store-type operation, with Victor the only guy running it.  Floro has been waiting outside since 9am EST.  Victor, who was out partying all night with the CanWNT again, rolls in bleary-eyed at 12:45.  Has been waiting for the wifi to kick in since then.  Floro muttering Spanish curses and making a mental note not to accept the Whitecaps coaching job that Lenarduzzi told him would be coming up soon.

Archived