Shamit Shome

shermanator

So look what Matthew Doyle (Senior Editor for MLSsoccer.com) wrote on his 2017 Mock SuperDraft v1.0.

ATL

Shamit Shome

MIDFIELDER - FC EDMONTON (CANADIAN GA)

Shome is the first of a new breed, as the Canadian GA rule is implemented. That means he won't count as an international, which means that his draft value is boosted for the 19 US-based MLS teams.

Also boosting his draft value is that he's got a couple thousand pro minutes already under his belt after coming through the Eddies' academy system. The kid has played ball against grown men before, and that could end up shooting him up the boards over the next week.

Right now he's a box-to-box midfielder whose simple passing keeps the ball moving. I think he'll eventually drift back and become more of a No. 6. 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/armchair-analyst-2017-mock-superdraft-v1-0

5 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

So look what Matthew Doyle (Senior Editor for MLSsoccer.com) wrote on his 2017 Mock SuperDraft v1.0.

ATL

Shamit Shome

MIDFIELDER - FC EDMONTON (CANADIAN GA)

Shome is the first of a new breed, as the Canadian GA rule is implemented. That means he won't count as an international, which means that his draft value is boosted for the 19 US-based MLS teams.

Also boosting his draft value is that he's got a couple thousand pro minutes already under his belt after coming through the Eddies' academy system. The kid has played ball against grown men before, and that could end up shooting him up the boards over the next week.

Right now he's a box-to-box midfielder whose simple passing keeps the ball moving. I think he'll eventually drift back and become more of a No. 6. 

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/armchair-analyst-2017-mock-superdraft-v1-0

thats a big deal. CGA suddenly also means domestic league wide.

1 minute ago, Macksam said:

I searched YouTube for his highlight reel video, every young up and coming player has one;), but sadly came up short handed. Are videos to FC Edmonton games this past season publicly available?

If you type in "Canadian Messi" he will pop up. However make sure you check all of them since any player with any promise gets dubbed that.

11 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

If you type in "Canadian Messi" he will pop up. However make sure you check all of them since any player with any promise gets dubbed that.

That just brings up Boakai unfortunately.

Edit: This Abdallah Juma kid looks alright.

Edited by Macksam

6 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Canadians at #3, 11, 13, 16 would be similar to the first round of the 2014 NBA draft , Wiggins year (1, 8, 18). Was a proud year for Canadian sport fans. This would be awesome for Canadian soccer.

This great to see him get the chance to play in MLS sooner rather than later. He should hopefully show well at the combine and become a high pick for sure. It would be nice if they at least one more Canadian or even 5 overall maybe in the coming future they'll add more.

I imagine FC Edmonton got at least 6 figures for Shome. Why would they give up their best prospect to MLS for nothing? Yes, they want to be seen as a place where quality players can develop, become pros, and move on, but remember that they are a business as well and the sale of Shome greatly impacts a bottom line that is wallowing in red ink.

I would think 250K would be a reasonable guess.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

I imagine FC Edmonton got at least 6 figures for Shome. Why would they give up their best prospect to MLS for nothing? Yes, they want to be seen as a place where quality players can develop, become pros, and move on, but remember that they are a business as well and the sale of Shome greatly impacts a bottom line that is wallowing in red ink.

I would think 250K would be a reasonable guess.

I really doubt that, remember even a top prospect like Larin they played hardball with in regards to his GA deal.  I can't imagine them paying 6 figures on top of whatever his GA salary is for a guy who isn't a sure thing.  

My guess is they paid no more than $50k with a sell-on clause.  

It just occurred to me that Edmonton was probably owed a figure regardless of his contract, cause of the development fee. Wasn't that the case with Boakai, that they wouldn't want to pay? Best case for FCE it was both, but even that wouldn't exceed a couple of 100K's max. 

But if they played their cards well, they could be making money of him in the future. Plus it also shows Fc Edmonton as a real pathway for young talents as well, they don't have t go to Van or abroad to have a chance. 

On January 5, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Macksam said:

I searched YouTube for his highlight reel video, every young up and coming player has one;), but sadly came up short handed. Are videos to FC Edmonton games this past season publicly available?

FC Edmonton have a YouTube page "FC Edmonton Video" where they upload full matches. Home matches only :)

Well, if Shome is not drafted, he can always re-sign with FC Edmonton. But, given that he signed a GA Canada contract, and that MLS paid a transfer fee for him, it would be absolutely ludicrous if he wasn't drafted.

That said, Matthew Doyle is just a blogger who managed to find a job as an MLS mouthpiece. I sincerely doubt he watched any FC Edmonton games, and I don't take his opinions too seriously.

Edited by shermanator

6 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Well, if Shome is not drafted, he can always re-sign with FC Edmonton. But, given that he signed a GA Canada contract, and that MLS paid a transfer fee for him, it would be absolutely ludicrous if he wasn't drafted.

That said, Matthew Doyle is just a blogger who managed to find a job as an MLS mouthpiece. I sincerely doubt he watched any FC Edmonton games, and I don't take his opinions too seriously.

I think a rule with GA deals is a team told MLS they want him and are obligated to draft him. Not 100% sure though.

Edited by Vince193