Shamit Shome

shermanator

In Steven Sandor's article, he was left a comment asking whether Shome would be domestic league wide. Here was his answer.

"An exception would need to be made. Remember that the new rule states that, to be domestic league-wide, a player’s first pro contract would need to be with an MLS team or its USL affiliate. Shome’s first pro deal was with an NASL side. Now, if MLS decides to change a rule to suit a player or team, well that’s never been done before 1f642.png"

Very impressed by Shome whenever I have seen him. Would love to see him on the Whitecaps where he would complement Laba nicely. Laba is a slow defensive mid who needs to play next to an athletic box-to-box mid. 

Can any of the Edmonton fans fill us in on his playing style, strengths and weaknesses?

14 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Very impressed by Shome whenever I have seen him. Would love to see him on the Whitecaps where he would complement Laba nicely. Laba is a slow defensive mid who needs to play next to an athletic box-to-box mid. 

Can any of the Edmonton fans fill us in on his playing style, strengths and weaknesses?

I don't want to see him get benched in Vancouver in favour of Andrew Jacobson.

Edited by Vince193

Shome is an attacking mid, more of a #10. So he would be replacing someone like Morales (I know Morales played DM a bunch but its the best comparable I can find), or competing with the likes of Bustos or Techera in a more advanced midfield role. I don't recall seeing him play DM as that was Ledgerwood's role all year. 

I would argue Shome is at or slightly better than the level of Bustos right now. His game is different; he's not flashy, very intelligent passer. I didn't notice much in terms of weaknesses in the games I watched, if I'm honest. His finishing wasn't great. He was a very impressive player last year. 

I think Jay Chapman would be the best comparable to Shome that I can think of. Creates, but doesn't do anything particularly flashy going forward, and is safe defensively. 

Edited by shermanator

46 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Shome is an attacking mid, more of a #10. So he would be replacing someone like Morales (I know Morales played DM a bunch but its the best comparable I can find), or competing with the likes of Bustos or Techera in a more advanced midfield role. I don't recall seeing him play DM as that was Ledgerwood's role all year. 

I would argue Shome is at or slightly better than the level of Bustos right now. His game is different; he's not flashy, very intelligent passer. I didn't notice much in terms of weaknesses in the games I watched, if I'm honest. His finishing wasn't great. He was a very impressive player last year. 

I think Jay Chapman would be the best comparable to Shome that I can think of. Creates, but doesn't do anything particularly flashy going forward, and is safe defensively. 

Miralem Pjanic a good comparison?

He's a player that you'll notice more when he doesn't play. He keeps the game flowing, tactically extremely aware (I don't think this is learnable) and technically solid. Nobody had any problem giving him the ball as they all knew he'd do something good with it. Very mature play already.

If he goes to a team where he's #14 or #15 of the team, that would be great. But he needs to be making MLS-minutes otherwise he might as well stay in Edmonton. 

I don't think Edmonton received a lot for him, but maybe they have a clause for when he get's sold again. 

14 hours ago, shermanator said:

In Steven Sandor's article, he was left a comment asking whether Shome would be domestic league wide. Here was his answer.

"An exception would need to be made. Remember that the new rule states that, to be domestic league-wide, a player’s first pro contract would need to be with an MLS team or its USL affiliate. Shome’s first pro deal was with an NASL side. Now, if MLS decides to change a rule to suit a player or team, well that’s never been done before 1f642.png"

Think he is wrong about an exception being needed. He would get the domestic status by virtue of being part of Generation Adidas Canada.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think he is wrong about an exception being needed. He would get the domestic status by virtue of being part of Generation Adidas Canada.

That's not the way the rule has been described so far (though details on Generation Adidas for Canada have been vague). 

If having no cap hit is enough to attract an American club, it would be mute, as they would be on the roster long enough to get a green card

57 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/71858/mls-superdraft-countdown-five-listed-in-ga-class.html

...and the Generation Adidas Canada signings will count as MLS domestic players regardless of which team they play for.

I hope this is correct. I find it a bit odd that the CSA's own press releases don't explicitly say 'domestic.' You'd think they'd want to scream that from the rooftops. 

http://canadasoccer.com/canadian-content-focus-leads-to-first-generation-adidas-canada-mls-signings-p160310

I don't think it really matters. For a couple years, the perception of the draft is that it's a crapshoot. Once you get past the first 5 picks, drafting by position becomes less of an option. Teams all start drafting their perceived best player regardless whether they're international or not. 

I think it does matter, though.

IIRC, last year Richie Laryea had to spend the entire year in USL because he took up an international roster spot, and Orlando City were over the limit. I don't think he played well enough to earn MLS minutes, but if he had then there was no way he would have been able to play with the first team without them moving a player. I don't want to see Shome in that situation.

I've read that Shome will be a high draft pick next Friday, and given that he has a full season of NASL under his belt at 19 I would have to think he's a top 5 pick, but I have no idea what to expect for Reid. I think Chicago or Houston may be the ideal place for him as Minnesota will want Ebobisse and Atlanta signed AM Almiron as a DP.

Edited by shermanator

Article on MLS site ranks him 4th in the draft and compares him to Kelyn Rowe of NE. 

Shome is an anomaly in this discussion because he’s the only player on this list to have significant professional experience. He tallied more than 1,000 minutes in the NASL for his native FC Edmonton in 2016, with his pass completion ending up at 83.5 percent during the season. Shome, 19, is a quick, patient central midfielder who’d immediately fit in with a club -- like, say, Columbus -- that prefers to pile on passes and work it along the ground at speed. He’s probably not the Ignacio Piatti type to unlock back lines on his own, but his versatility and possession approach are major pluses for teams on the lookout for immediate contributors.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/04/parchman-top-10-superdraft-prospects-and-their-mls-doppelg-ngers

Edited by red card

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Do they bother to fact check their articles? There have been two Canadians in the mainstream Generation Adidas program over the last two years.

The difference is that there is a GA for Canadians. Larin and Laryea signed because they were from the old GA. I think it's mostly semantics here. 

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Do they bother to fact check their articles? There have been two Canadians in the mainstream Generation Adidas program over the last two years.

Thanks for this. I thought they were wrong with that too, but I was questioning my sanity. I didn't remember that Larya was GA, but thought Larin was and wasn't sure if Bekker was or not. Thinking back, Bekker probably wasn't, TFC drafted him high but I think he popped up the ranking after having a good combine.