WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

4 hours ago, canta15 said:

Honduras lost 1-0 to Argentina in San Juan. Pretty good result for them. Does anyone know if they were playing well or were they getting dominated?

San Juan, Argentina to clarify. Here is the link to match info. Looks like a full squad Argentina side and the Hondurans stacking up the lineup defensively. IMO they were preparing for the away match at Azteca.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=honduras+national+team&oq=honduras&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j5j0j69i60j69i61.7185j0j4&client=ms-android-bell-ca&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/x/364gh_cf31fly;2;/g/11b66jrs60;ln;fp

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-04-21 at 4:30 PM, apbsmith said:

Is Pinto really banned from our match?

According to the FIFA disciplinary overview (updated as of May 27, 2016) that Olympique_de_Marseille posted in another thread, Pinto is suspended for 4 matches and fined 7,500 CHF for his actions in the March 29 game against El Salvador.

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/footballgovernance/02/79/27/39/disciplinary_overview_fwc_final_may2016_neutral.pdf

So Honduras won't have their coach, or one of their top players (Najar) for this game and they're in a bit of a rough run of form as of late. We also have a new midfielder who's shown he could be dangerous that they've never played against.

I'm not saying we've punched our tickets to the hex or anything, but this is probably better circumstances than anyone expected going into this game.

If we compare Honduras squad to that of 4 years ago and the same with our squad, it seems that our chances of getting a result is considerably higher. Am I correct?

Just now, canta15 said:

If we compare Honduras squad to that of 4 years ago and the same with our squad, it seems that our chances of getting a result is considerably higher. Am I correct?

I think we've improved but Honduras will be tough as ever.  Last qualifying they started off with 1 point from 2 games and many of the players that killed us in the 8-1 are still there i.e. Martinez and Bengston.  They're going to come out for the kill and we need to match them.  

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I think we've improved but Honduras will be tough as ever.  Last qualifying they started off with 1 point from 2 games and many of the players that killed us in the 8-1 are still there i.e. Martinez and Bengston.  They're going to come out for the kill and we need to match them.  

I thought a number of their players that brought them to the World Cup left. And if I recall correctly back when we were playing them in November, a number of us believed that the Honduras squad was a much weaker version of the ones we faced in the 8-1 defeat.

They definitely are. It's just that fear of returning to the scene of our most disasterous loss that is making people tread lightly.

the strength of that Canada team versus this one is a debate for another time. But this Honduras team is not playing well at the moment.

I literally have nightmares about watching our team play at highnoon in 40degree weather in San Pedro Sula with WCQ on the line. I can only imagine what our players will be feeling. 

If this was a neutral site game in 22 degree weather I'd take our chances any day, unfortunately its not. 

10 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Is there an expectations/possibility we have another camp before the Sept WCQ window? 

The CSA release after the Austria camp had this paragraph:

"Players will now return to their professional clubs, with some in the midst of their 2016 season and others heading into pre season for the 2016-17 season. Canada Soccer's Men's National Team will regroup again at the end of August."

So, my guess is there won't be another camp before the next WCQ window.

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

I literally have nightmares about watching our team play at highnoon in 40degree weather in San Pedro Sula with WCQ on the line.

Right now, I'm having nightmares about that away game in ES ... if we had won that game, then (regardless of what happens in Honduras), we'd be advancing to the HEX with a win at home vs. ES unless H. manages to win at Mexico. 

4 hours ago, aloyol said:

The CSA release after the Austria camp had this paragraph:

"Players will now return to their professional clubs, with some in the midst of their 2016 season and others heading into pre season for the 2016-17 season. Canada Soccer's Men's National Team will regroup again at the end of August."

So, my guess is there won't be another camp before the next WCQ window.

Actually, no. There is none. The official window starts on August 29.

4 hours ago, Addona said:

Right now, I'm having nightmares about that away game in ES ... if we had won that game, then (regardless of what happens in Honduras), we'd be advancing to the HEX with a win at home vs. ES unless H. manages to win at Mexico. 

I agree that, if we get eliminated, the game in El Salvador will likely be the focus on our frustration. However, looking forward, we are going into September with possibly the strongest roster we've had in years, so a home win against El Salvador should be doable.

Scraping to get a tie in Honduras will be the big test and one that I am quite anxious to watch. Despite the last messy result down there, it is possible that Honduras go into this match feeling a bit nervous, knowing that a tie will likely eliminate them. That could work to our advantage. This will be Floro's big test, to keep our shape over a grueling 90 minutes.

18 hours ago, gator said:

We're going to The Hex! :)

No matter what we have to win in Honduras because even if we get to the Hex these are the type of places (besides U S) that we will be playing. If we can't win there now, we probably won't win there against better teams. JUST WIN BABY WIN! I love summer it's my favourite season but I can't wait for September! Ah revenge will be so sweet!

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

Actually, no. There is none. The official window starts on August 29.

We had a camp and a game against T&T (2-0 for us) in August 2012, which was outside FIFA dates. So, maybe we'll see something similar happening this time but I don't count on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived