WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Is it just the last matchday where both games have to start at the same time?

In any reasonable competition, yes ... but I don't think there is any such rule for WCQ.  I could be mistaken but I don't think so.

23 hours ago, Ngravs said:

if that's the case then we should play the last game vs El Salvador in Vancouver as late as possible to see the result of Honduras vs Mexico

Won't happen. Last games are at the same time.

The FMF likes to play their games in Mexico City at Azteca at 8:30pm local.

In September that's:

9:30pm Toronto time (We like to play at 7:30pm at BMO Field)

6:30pm Vancouver time ( We like to play at 7pm at BC Place)

90% sure the FMF will agree to postpone their kickoff 30 minutes until 9pm local and we will play at 7pm in Vancouver.

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Won't happen. Last games are at the same time.

The FMF likes to play their games in Mexico City at Azteca at 8:30pm local.

In September that's:

9:30pm Toronto time (We like to play at 7:30pm at BMO)

6:30pm Vancouver time ( We like to play at 7pm at BC Place)

90% sure the FMF will agree to postpone their kickoff 30 minutes until 9pm local and we will play at 7pm in Vancouver.

So do you think that factors in to where the game is played? (Vancouver or Toronto)

We apparently haven't played the last game of Round 3 at home for a long time.  Wikipedia gives kickoff times back to 2004 (2006 WCQ), but doesn't prior to that:

November 15, 2000

Panama 0 - 1 Trinidad and Tobago

ReportPierre  15' (p)

Estadio Rommel Fernández, Panama city
Attendance: 6,000
Referee: Rodolfo Sibrian (SLV)

November 15, 2000

Canada 0 - 0 Mexico

Varsity Stadium, Toronto
Attendance: 6,564
Referee: Samuel Richard (DOM)

1 hour ago, shorty said:

We apparently haven't played the last game of Round 3 at home for a long time.  Wikipedia gives kickoff times back to 2004 (2006 WCQ), but doesn't prior to that:

November 15, 2000

Canada 0 - 0 Mexico

Varsity Stadium, Toronto
Attendance: 6,564
Referee: Samuel Richard (DOM)

My ticket stub says 7pm.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

When the schedule came out I was extremely annoyed that Honduras again got the massive advantage of playing the second match against us at home. They had that advantage the last time we were drawn together. This time it should have been ours. And the CSA should have fought tooth and nail to get it. It was obvious from the get go that it would be between us and Honduras for the second place and these seemingly small details can be the difference between going through or going out.

I agree. You would think that the schedule was part of the draw but with CONCACAF who knows!

40 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

It definitely doesn't work that way in UEFA - the national associations all sit down together and work out the schedule between them. And I'm sure I remember it took a while after the draw for the CONCACAF dates to be announced, but there was very little transparency as to how the schedule was determined. I have my suspicions though: an association hopelessly out of its depth was schooled by the savvy ones.

Would be a good question to ask the powers that be.

That's super shady. Maybe if Victor actually wins the presidency he can pull the strings in our favour!

The 2014 cycle was the first time teams had to play their qualifiers at the last time.  Also in CONCACAF teams make their own schedule unless they can't come to an agreement in which case it goes to random draw (this was the case during the 2013 Hex, I don't know if anything of the same sort would have happened here).

Also hasn't Honduras played us at home second the last four cycles?

On ‎2016‎-‎04‎-‎01 at 10:53 AM, xabuep2 said:

Honduras wants to play at 3:00 PM against Canada. 

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/945089-99/honduras-quiere-jugar-a-las-300-pm-contra-canad%C3%A1

The Honduran Federation will request to FIFA the game at that time.

3pm...I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Surely the heat and humidity has nothing to do with it...

Yet some people found the idea of making these countries play in a more hostile environment in the future as ridiculous. When we have future qualifiers or games that truly matters (March Mexico-Canada & Last spring Impact-America) can we please make them play outside to return the favor? I doubt America scores 5 goal on Montreal in Saputo Stadium at 0 degrees nor Mexico scoring 3 goals on Canada at 2 degrees. Yet a draw at Saputo would have gotten us closer to the Hex

Again see Exhibit A where the Americans absolutely needed a wins against Costa Rica for the World Cup in Brazil. They couldn't care less about their guest's comfort since they rarely get the same in return whenever they go to Central America. Making it to Brazil was way more important than anything else...We should do the same until we get some respect...who am I kidding...god we're too nice and naive

Exhibit A

article-2297957-18DF8C28000005DC-433_634usp-soccer_-world-cup-qualifier-costa-ri

The fans? Surely we can take the cold as much as our American neighbours

Costa Rica vs USA, American fans

20130322_jla_sh6_605-3167d891992a80d0223

I originally was a fan of putting the match in Nordic conditions, but if we do make the WC, those matches are going to be played in near-ideal conditions. Also, we are riding a wave of momentum with 2 very respectable attendances which would be zapped if September was played in Yellowknife et al.

16 minutes ago, Oranje said:

I originally was a fan of putting the match in Nordic conditions, but if we do make the WC, those matches are going to be played in near-ideal conditions. Also, we are riding a wave of momentum with 2 very respectable attendances which would be zapped if September was played in Yellowknife et al.

At the end of the day, what do you want to achieve? World Cup or good attendances

What would grow the game in Canada? Status Quo or making it to the World Cup?

I can live with bad attendances during bad weather if we get to the world cup. Making it to the World Cup would get this country on fire regarding soccer...Exactly what you need to achieve the following

• Success of the CPL
  • More kids choosing soccer
  • D3 getting in order faster
  • More Canadians players choosing to play for Canada
  • More foreign players playing in Canada wanting the Canadian citizenship

In the end...what do we ultimately want to achieve? Make no mistake about it...

Canada qualifying for the World Cup is WAY MORE important than selling out losing qualifiers if we're talking about bidding for a World Cup

Archived