WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

At one point James was turning out horrendous displays with our youth teams, with some calling for him to never wear a Canada shirt at any level ever again.

Now people want him to start in our most important senior game in 4 years.

How times have changed!

It would seem he has had some very good coaching/playing experience in Hungary and probably has the natural talent to take advantage of it.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Alex said:

So starting 11?

Well, with so many players either still unattached, not playing at all (nailed to the bench), injured or coming back from serious injuries (and not in game shape) - I came up with the following starting eleven. Is this weird or where we are headed to?

Hirschfeld

Ledgerwood/Ouimette - Straith - Vitoria - deJong

Hutchinson - Edgar

Ricketts - Arfield - Akindele

Larin

14 minutes ago, David C. said:

Really? I was expecting something next Friday (26th). THE CSA tend to release rosters fairly late.

Was more of a question than a statement but I thought they released the friday of the week before camp opens? so usually 2 fridays before the games.

3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

So what time is the game? I was under the assumption it was at 12 PM MST. Is that accurate? I'd like to set up a watch party and I need to get on it ASAP if I have to compete with the downtown Calgary Friday lunch crowd.

It's 3pm Alberta time. Matches San Pedro Sula time in the summer.

So, 5pm Eastern. 2pm Pacific.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don't think we should do Gracies for this one. There's a Fury match at 7pm so maybe The Georgetown? Or could we get TD Place to broadcast the match on the big screen?

I absolutely love the idea of having the match on the big screen at TD Place especially with the kickoff at 5 pm ET.  Hate to think of the mood in the crowd for the Fury game (especially the supporters section) if we have another 8-1 fiasco? 

I can't remember how many players Honduras called, but here is my stab at a 20 man roster for us:

Borjan
Stamatopolis
Thomas

Jakovic
Edgar
Vitoria
James
De Jong
Ledgerwood
Ouimette

Straith
Piette
Johnson
Hutchinson
Arfield

Akindele
Ricketts
Larin
Hoilett
Haber

Starting 11: 

--------------------Stama-----------------
Ouimette----Jakovic---Edgar--De Jong
-----------------Hutchinson---------------
---------Johnson---------Arfield-----------
Ricketts------------Larin-------------Hoilett

I don't think we'll field an ideal line up, but at least the front 6 is very strong. It's a bonus if Hoilett is with a club and fit. He's dangerous and will draw fouls and take the zing out of the game for Honduras supports. That in itself will be valuable, even if he can only give us 60 or 70 minutes. 

The alternative would be starting him on the bench. Out of all our players, he is the most difficult for defenders the way he runs at them. That can give us a spark if we are chasing the game. Akindele in his place should be more match fit, so you gotta question whether he's a guy you'd rather have go 90 minutes. Both are relatively inexperienced, which can be either good or bad. 

The back four is a little concerning for me. At the club level i'm not particularly convinced by either de Jong and Edgar, but at least Marcel seems to be hitting form and Edgar is pretty consistent for us.

At right back, Ledgerwood's lack of pace concerns me. I would go with Henry, but he is out and Ouimette has been getting 90 minutes every game since he landed in hot, humid, Jacksonville, FL. He's my pick over someone like Aird, who has not even won his place back at Vancouver. To boot, he did well against Honduras and was physical enough to deal with their pace. I trust his athleticism over Ledgerwood's experience.

Jakovic makes me nervous - he hasn't been playing with his club and has a history of causing easy turnovers. Vitoria might be a better option but I think Floro trusts Jakovic, who also has more experience internationally. And again - pace. Vitoria has been solid but he's slow and Honduras is fast (and at home).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players who i'd like to see involved (but likely won't make the cut): Aird, Chapman, Hamilton, Teibert, Petrasso and of course, Osorio & Cavallini.

If we make it to the HEX and can schedule a camp between now and then, i'd like to see those aforementioned guys involved.

Anyone who is not contributing at the moment (but can) should get some reps with the group before next round!

On 8/16/2016 at 0:18 PM, JDub said:

I would like to see Edgar in there but I don't think Floro is going to start him.   Just like the last 2 games.   We will all be wondering where Edgar is.

Based on Edgar's play with the Whitecaps, he doesn't deserve to start in the back.

With Jakovic, Vittoria and James not playing at club level, Henry injured and Edgar not performing well, center back is the weak spot. Should use Straith and Edgar there and bring in NASL defenders such as Roberts and Trafford to back them. Jakovic in as he's more experienced then others.

Borjan
Hirschfeld
Chencinski

De Jong
Hainault
Straith
Edgar
Trafford
Roberts
Jakovic
Ledgerwood
Aird

Hutchinson
Johnson
Bekker
Piette
Arfield
Hoilett
Jackson
Ricketts

Cavallini
Akindele
Larin

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

With Jakovic, Vittoria and James not playing at club level, Henry injured and Edgar not performing well, center back is the weak spot. Should use Straith and Edgar there and bring in NASL defenders such as Roberts and Trafford to back them. Jakovic in as he's more experienced then others.

Borjan
Hirschfeld
Chencinski

De Jong
Hainault
Straith
Edgar
Trafford
Roberts
Jakovic
Ledgerwood
Aird

Hutchinson
Johnson
Bekker
Piette
Arfield
Hoilett
Jackson
Ricketts

Cavallini
Akindele
Larin

I feel like this is more of a want list than anything. We gotta remember this is the middle of a WCQ cycle and floro will therefore want to stay in his comfort zone.

Trafford and Roberts are a reach imo. James was our best CB last time out in Mexico, no way he's not selected. Vitoria has finally found a club and will be training at a decent level, so I'd expect him to continue being a regular selection as well. I'd also expect Hainault to be replaced by either Ouimette (versatile and has been alright when called upon) or Adekugbe (rave reviews when he's played in England and provides cover for an inconsistent MDJ).

Midfield seems about right. I would like Osorio there with JDG gone but I know he isn't floro's favourite. And I believe they'll wait til next cycle or friendlies for Chapman (although he has been very impressive). For once Bekker has justified his selection (we all know it's gonna happen).

One change is I'd prefer Akindele outwide and Tosaint as a striker. Tosaint can be that late spark of energy coming on for Larin that pushes for that extra goal. Jackson can also potentially be that guy but he's getting old.

We never know what's happening with Cavallini. I think it's possible that we do see Hamilton instead. He's finally proven himself and seems like a more reliable and better Marcus Haber. 

Lastly, I'd be a little surprised to see Chechinski called in just because it's been awhile (however I agree he deserves it). I think Kenny will get a call. Lars' days with the NT seem over for now.

3 hours ago, Oranje said:

With some relevance to this thread, Honduras U23 just got spanked 6-0 by Brazil

I taped it and watched the whole match, the Honduran backline was a mess. Johnny Palacios screwed up twice and displayed poor organizational skills. The FB's got caught once each as well.

6 hours ago, Oranje said:

With some relevance to this thread, Honduras U23 just got spanked 6-0 by Brazil

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I taped it and watched the whole match, the Honduran backline was a mess. Johnny Palacios screwed up twice and displayed poor organizational skills. The FB's got caught once each as well.

If you have a Canadian IP, I hope this makes you smile as much as it made me. http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/neymar-brazil-play-for-soccer-gold-after-crushing-honduras.html

EDIT: With some obvious schadenfreude, let's go Nigeria! Win that bronze!

Archived