WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Chuckle. Well that made two of us. In my estimation I thought the same ... most of one half of the curve opposite, a generous number of fans flanking them, and then a general scattering throughout the rest of the stadium. Even if those sections from the middle of the net to the half line on one side was 100% Mexican fans on both the upper and lower decks, you would only be looking at 1/4 of the fans being Mexican fans or 13,750 fans. It wasn't solidly Mexican, as the concentrated Mexican support was in a smaller number of sections, but there were a number of fans scattered throughout the stadium that may have made up for that number or even exceeded it a bit.

Regardless, I agree that this isn't something worth getting too exercised about. The reason I'm hyper-sensitive to it is that I'm wary that the dialogue will regress to the "Our home games are never home games" narrative trajectory, and I thought it was fantastic that we clearly had a home game against a team with great travelling support.

I was mid-pitch, lower deck and where I was it was about 8-1 Canadian to Mexican supporters. I estimated that in total there were probably about 15K Mexican fans max. And honestly I'm pretty sure it was less than that. Anyways, the point is that Canadian supporter were in the overwhelming majority.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-04-02 at 8:00 PM, dsqpr said:

It definitely doesn't work that way in UEFA - the national associations all sit down together and work out the schedule between them. And I'm sure I remember it took a while after the draw for the CONCACAF dates to be announced, but there was very little transparency as to how the schedule was determined. I have my suspicions though: an association hopelessly out of its depth was schooled by the savvy ones.

Would be a good question to ask the powers that be.

Didn't they stop this practice?  Either way, when this did/does happen, they only gave the Associations the opportunity to figure it out amongst themselves.  If it couldn't be agreed upon (not uncommon), then it was drawn.

This is the first time in these semi-finals that we start on the road.  How does the return trip from Honduras stack up to the host site of our final game.  I think that's a consideration, mind you, El Salvador is coming from essentially the same spot, so it might be moot.

As for climate, game time, and all that jazz, I know that Canada has some pretty rough weather at times, but I think that September anywhere in the country is pretty agreeable, save for something drastic.  I think that the biggest consideration should be home support.  After that, I don't think there's much else we can do that's going to throw them off.

I'm in favour of having the game in Toronto (even as a Vancouverite). I think there are too many factors in play. 1) Cool weather for the game. 2) New stadium on a nice surface. 3) Think the game should be moved around the country. 4) I get the sense Torontonians are eager to show what they can do for support after Vancouvers success. 

Also The Snowbowl was one of the coolest/strangest games I've ever watched. The US was lucky to get a goal early before the HEAVY snow started.

9 hours ago, Yoginess said:

I'm in favour of having the game in Toronto (even as a Vancouverite). I think there are too many factors in play. 1) Cool weather for the game. 2) New stadium on a nice surface. 3) Think the game should be moved around the country. 4) I get the sense Torontonians are eager to show what they can do for support after Vancouvers success. 

Also The Snowbowl was one of the coolest/strangest games I've ever watched. The US was lucky to get a goal early before the HEAVY snow started.

Other factors notwithstanding, it'll likely be 25-30 degrees on Sept. 6 in Toronto.

9 hours ago, dsqpr said:

If it was drawn then surely we would have known about it. The fact that the national associations could not agree would certainly have been newsworthy.

If the CSA had a hot clue how important this is they would have issued a press release explaining how we came to have this significant disadvantage AGAIN. Somebody should ask this question of somebody who can answer it.

I'm fairly confident that the schedule as predetermined.  This is hardly a failure on the CSA's part.

So Sportsnet is saying the final home game will most likely be in Vancouver.  I had hoped it would've been Toronto as a Vancourite, to freeze the Central Americans at BMO Field.  I know Vancouver will get a good soccer crowd, but gotta spread the home games.

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

So Sportsnet is saying the final home game will most likely be in Vancouver.  I had hoped it would've been Toronto as a Vancourite, to freeze the Central Americans at BMO Field.  I know Vancouver will get a good soccer crowd, but gotta spread the home games.

proof?

1 minute ago, rob.notenboom said:

Pretty hard to freeze anyone at BMO in early September. 

It should be colder than Vancouver though.  Vancouver is too mild and warm lately compared to the rest of Canada, soon people will think that Vancouver can't be a part of Canada since we rarely get snow, blizzards, actual cold weather, compared to our Central and Eastern Canadian brethren.  50K plus crowds should be a guarantee and I hope it means something to the Nats as if they somehow tie Honduras in Honduras, then the last game will be critical for both teams.

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

It should be colder than Vancouver though.  Vancouver is too mild and warm lately compared to the rest of Canada, soon people will think that Vancouver can't be a part of Canada since we rarely get snow, blizzards, actual cold weather, compared to our Central and Eastern Canadian brethren.  50K plus crowds should be a guarantee and I hope it means something to the Nats as if they somehow tie Honduras in Honduras, then the last game will be critical for both teams.

That's totally false. Average highs and lows in Vancouver on SEptember 6 is 19-10. Meanwhile in Toronto it's  23-14. Vancouver isn't hot in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Avg high in Toronto on Sept 6th is 23C. There is a chance that it could be cooler of course, but given the average, no one would bank on freezing anyone out with this average temp. 

Also, I'd love to see another huge turnout for the game in Vancouver, but I suspect a lower bowl sellout or a little less, given the stature of the opponent, is more likely and is still a great show of support. 

10 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

That's totally false. Average highs and lows in Vancouver on SEptember 6 is 19-10. Meanwhile in Toronto it's  23-14. Vancouver isn't hot in the summer. 

Well tell me where Vancouver's past winter went because it was one of the warmest winter weathers on record.  This year alot of records are gonna be shattered temperature wise in Vancouver.  I honestly haven'g felt a true autumn chill in awhile

edit: Our summers here will never be as hot as TO due to low humidity for one and baked weather here.  I think last summer it was around 20-25 celsius weather

edit2:  sorry to derail the thread, but TO has a special place in my heart too, so would've hoped they got a game in the new renovated BMO Place.

5 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Well tell me where Vancouver's past winter went because it was one of the warmest winter weathers on record.  This year alot of records are gonna be shattered temperature wise in Vancouver.  I honestly haven'g felt a true autumn chill in awhile

edit: Our summers here will never be as hot as TO due to low humidity for one and baked weather here.  I think last summer it was around 20-25 celsius weather.

I'm talking about summer/fall. Not winter. I fully know that Vancouver's winter are warmer than the rest of the country, but it's still hot in Toronto at that time of the year. 

28 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

The women are playing there in June. 

Doesn't it have to be the men's team?

17 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Also, I'd love to see another huge turnout for the game in Vancouver, but I suspect a lower bowl sellout or a little less, given the stature of the opponent, is more likely and is still a great show of support. 

Really? If we do get a result against Honduras. I think we could have around 30 000 fans attending (at the least) as it would bring us into the HEX!

6 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Doesn't it have to be the men's team?

Really? If we do get a result against Honduras. I think we could have around 30 000 fans attending (at the least) as it would bring us into the HEX!

Doesn't have to be the men's team. 

Sure Van could get 30,000. They could get 55,000 again and that would be great. But the CSA has to balance the cost of opening the upper bowl against the demand for tickets. If tickets are really moving again they'll open it obviously. But if there are softer sales numbers I suspect they'll aim for 27,000 and leave it at that. 

Archived