Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come he could represent for us with the under 20s? Relaxed rules for youth levels? 

I'd hope we see everything sorted and him included in the January camps. Looks like he is a special talent.  Easily one of the best players on the pitch. Needs protecting and a good environment but could get scary good.  

This kid has the potential to be better than Hoilett/Hutchinson.  I think he could play for the U20s already because it was a friendly and not an official match.  

Hopefully the CSA is on the horn constantly to get this kid's process sped up.  He could end up being very important not just to our national team but to our country as well.  Getting a Canadian on a top foreign club would be a massive source of pride for any Canadians who are fans of this game as well as Canadians living abroad all over the world.  

It would be pretty embarrassing if we let him slip into a club like Manchester United without Canadian citizenship... could be another Elva situation.  

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

How come he could represent for us with the under 20s? Relaxed rules for youth levels? 

I'd hope we see everything sorted and him included in the January camps. Looks like he is a special talent.  Easily one of the best players on the pitch. Needs protecting and a good environment but could get scary good.  

IIRC he was only called for friendlies not for official matches. 

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

IIRC he was only called for friendlies not for official matches. 

So no reason he couldn't have been called up for the October friendlies. While we don't want to burn him out he is clearly making as much of an impact as any other Canadian at the minute. 

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

So no reason he couldn't have been called up for the October friendlies. While we don't want to burn him out he is clearly making as much of an impact as any other Canadian at the minute. 

Because he's getting minutes for a team that has just been eliminated from the playoffs, right now it's an easy decision to leave him with his club to get that valuable experience.. he has earned it.  Next year it's very likely that he won't see as many minutes.. I don't think Vancouver is going to hand a XI spot to a 16 year old they'll bring in some players and he'll have to fight his way into the lineup just like he did this year (and rightfully so from a development perspective).    

44 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Yes I think that's correct. Interesting that Bustos was called and not several others. 

5 hours ago, Ruffian said:

More talk of Man U being interested in him. Apparently a Man U scout in Vancouver watching him.

At this point, with his age and getting first team minutes in MLS you have to stop and ask the question.  Is his development better playing minutes in MLS, or potentially playing minutes in a crowded Man U youth system...or third option, on loan somewhere...

I'm not thinking that he's ready to just walk into a bench role for them ;)

Thoughts?

27 minutes ago, madmonte said:

At this point, with his age and getting first team minutes in MLS you have to stop and ask the question.  Is his development better playing minutes in MLS, or potentially playing minutes in a crowded Man U youth system...or third option, on loan somewhere...

I'm not thinking that he's ready to just walk into a bench role for them ;)

Thoughts?

It's better for Davies to get first team minutes in MLS now than to wait until he turns 18 to be able to train at Manchester United. 

Davies to Man U eh? The hype train is at full speed here. IMO, he will feature for Man United around the same time that Doneil Henry will feature for the West Ham first team. Never say never, but it's pretty unrealistic at the moment.

Assuming the new Whitecaps coach takes the same shine to Davies as Robinson, the best thing for him right now is more of what he's currently getting. Some sub appearances, occasional starts, and time with WFC 2 when he doesn't get MLS minutes. For a 15 year old, that's pretty damn good.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Speaking of Elva, what's going on with him? Is he still ineligible?

Elva received his passport in July 2015. Was going to be called to the U-20 friendlies in Costa Rica before the volcano erupted. He's been injured for a few months, just received his first minutes of the year this past weekend.

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

He said why after: He isn't a Canadian citizen. So, of course why would we call him if he isn't eligible?

Is he eligible for friendlies though? He did play in the U20 friendly vs England.

if he is eligible I would be calling him now. Not only would it be great to integrate him into the Senior team as soon as possible, but after seeing a few of his first team appearances I think he is good enough now.

Even disregarding the massive age difference and upside, does anyone really think he would be out of place on a team that calls up Ouimette and Haber regularly? 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Is he eligible for friendlies though? He did play in the U20 friendly vs England.

if he is eligible I would be calling him now. Not only would it be great to integrate him into the Senior team as soon as possible, but after seeing a few of his first team appearances I think he is good enough now.

Even disregarding the massive age difference and upside, does anyone really think he would be out of place on a team that calls up Ouimette and Haber regularly? 

Not for senior friendlies. 

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

Davies to Man U eh? The hype train is at full speed here. IMO, he will feature for Man United around the same time that Doneil Henry will feature for the West Ham first team. Never say never, but it's pretty unrealistic at the moment.

FYI Henry has started for the first team on the Europa League. 

As soon as you say scouts from any top club, that means every single team knows about him, every single agent. It is as simple as that, there are no secrets.

In fact, considering Man Utd is far from the better teams when it comes to scouting, perhaps not in the top dozen in Europe though they should be, it even suggests that they have arrived late, I'd bet we'd be surprised by who has already taken a look. 

IN any case, as is, you can't do anything right now with this 15 year old talent, in fact there is no assurance it will go anywhere. Why? Because you cant take it anywhere where it will grow substantially. Under Robinson he is just asked to do what he already knows, he gets playing time, gets confidence and experience, against adults, all good. But you telling me he is getting quality coaching, from a guy who has been amongst the worst in the league IMHO?

What is too bad is not to be able to put him in a quality academy and see him develop these next 2-3 years and mature into a quality professional.

Archived