Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

21 hours ago, Macksam said:

Sterling in the rough? Lol, let's do a little better and say an unrefined Ricardo Kishna.

Dare to dream Arnold, dare to dream  :)

(blatant plagiarism of a kokanee commercial but hey they make better tv spots than beer)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The kid has absolutely got to develop, and only if he does things right for the next 5 years will he be a competent pro. We have some glaring examples in Canada of players making wrong decisions, not allowing themselves to develop properly (Wyn Belotte, maybe Peters too).

I was looking at earliest debuts in Spanish league history and there is just one younger, a 15 year old from the 70s who played for a modest club in top flight. Of players you might know, Bojan Krkic the Stoke striker, age 16 with Barça for a friendly and just 17 official, and Muniain who was just named in the same sex scandal as De Gea, also 16 at Bilbao. Messi too, was almost 17 for his first friendly and 17 for an official match. All three relatively short compact players with low centre of gravity and good skills, and all three attackers.

Let's be excited but slow the hype. I agree with @Unnamed Trialist that he has to get good advice and training and make all the right decisions over the next few years in order to really make it. Few debut this early, and quite frankly it doesn't guarantee success. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I trust the MLS model to let him develop. 

Peters is a great example. Not as someone who wasn't exposed to the best training techniques, but of someone who wasn't dedicated enough with  training and nutrition and in the end ate himself out of professional football. 

I wasnt completely joking in bringing up Freddy Adu. I do believe the early hype messed with his head and led to his swift (and steady) decline. 

On June 13, 2016 at 0:45 AM, C2SKI said:

I'm either wearing incredibly rose-tinted glasses, or Davies is a great young talent. That strike aside, there was a lot to like about his 30 minute cameo tonight.

Of course he's a great young talent.  Anyone would look at a 15 year old playing professional and say so, but there is a large difference between a great young talent and a great talent.  

Anyone notice Bustos reaction after the goal?  Didn't seem too excited for Davies.  Must be frustrating to see a kid 4 years younger than you thriving when you know there are only so many spots in MLS.  

• 1 month later...

Alphonso Davies signed with the first team today. If I'm not mistaken, he's the youngest player ever signed by a Canadian professional club ever? I'm part excited for the signing, and part terrified it's going to push him to quickly. But either way, congrats to Davies!

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/07/15/whitecaps-fc-add-15-year-old-residency-product-alphonso-davies?hootPostID=65e88a94c7000269d534d53f18166b3a

34 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He made his MLS debut last night playing 20 minutes as a sub. Had a few nice moments too.

He played extremely well for a 15 year old! The new Canadian Messi? 

/s

Doesn't look out of place in the first team which is both exciting and scary. Needs protecting, yet if he is ready it's hard not to use him. 

For every Michael Owen and freddy adu there are Wayne rooneys and James Milners. I think he is in a good place with good coaches and an environment that will protect him while letting him flourish. Very exciting prospect though from early impressions.

45 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Doesn't look out of place in the first team which is both exciting and scary. Needs protecting, yet if he is ready it's hard not to use him. 

For every Michael Owen and freddy adu there are Wayne rooneys and James Milners. I think he is in a good place with good coaches and an environment that will protect him while letting him flourish. Very exciting prospect though from early impressions.

Michael Owen scored 40 goals for England, was a Premier League Champion, FA cup winner, scored 150 PL goals, played for Real Madrid and won the Ballon D'or... not exactly the same category as Freddy Adu... I get that Owen burned out a little early but if we get anything close to that with Davies I'll take it.

20 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Michael Owen scored 40 goals for England, was a Premier League Champion, FA cup winner, scored 150 PL goals, played for Real Madrid and won the Ballon D'or... not exactly the same category as Freddy Adu... I get that Owen burned out a little early but if we get anything close to that with Davies I'll take it.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. If Davies ends up close to prime Owen, he would still be our best player of all-time.

2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

September call up. Would you? Should he? 

Now, if he's in the roster, he's at best 4th on the depth chart. Petrasso,  Hoilett, Akindele are in front of him right now. One thing is that because it's an international window and the Caps are likely losing de Jong & Bolanos, it could be better to let him stay with the Whitecaps to play in MLS (Whitecaps are playing Red Bulls during the same weekend) especially that he's that young and he needs minutes.

If he's not a regular with the Whitecaps, I don't see Floro calling him. 

Oh and I've put Arfield as a central midfielder after his good showing in June, hence no Arfield in the discussion.

6 hours ago, Floortom said:

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. If Davies ends up close to prime Owen, he would still be our best player of all-time.

I was talking more about protecting the longevity of his career and avoiding burnout rather than the talent, even past his best Michael Owen was 10xs the player Freddy Adu ever was. In terms of how long they were playing at their peak and the hype though its similar. Either way its not always the consideration of the club. if a player is good enough now with all football clubs being a business, especially a results driven one. There is always a fear a club will do whats best for business. Right now its about fostering his growth and protecting their investment. As mentioned I think he is in one of the best positions at a club that respects and nurtures youth.  

Not at all. How lousy would it be to loose a real talented prospect? For all we know, Caps sell him to Juventus next season and he plays 5 years in Italy. Or Liberia just tries it's luck and calls him. I would seriously call him for september and give him a minute against El Salvador if possible. 

Archived