Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-07-31 at 9:57 AM, Northvansteve said:

Maybe we can move this topic to another thread, but why isn't Montreal's academy producing any top players? They seem to have success at the younger level but nothing translates to the pro level. 

Late to the game. They are really just getting started. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the number so far given they started their academy way after the Caps & TFC.

There could be 2 things going on here:

The Impact doesn't know how to scout, or there aren't any better players in Quebec to put out there.  

The GTA looks like an endless pool of talent once you start digging. The 'Caps have a very competitive team in USL, but not much getting through to the big club (yet). They are scouting a bigger and more divers area though, compared to the Impact. 

• 1 month later...

If it helps, TRM, Morales missed a wide open chance from about 12 yards out.

Davies has been fantastic tonight. Set up the goal. Is all over the pitch breaking up plays to begin counterattacks, dribbling through defenders, decent passing. Watching him tonight has me excited for his future should he continue to develop.

I sent an email to the Vancouver Whitecaps asking if Davies was eligible to represent CanMNT and this is the response I received:

" Alphonso currently has permanent resident status on his way to becoming a Canadian citizen.  I do believe he will be eligible for the men’s national team at that time."

Hopefully he has already begin the Canadian citizenship process.

39 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

How was Davies allowed to sign a professional contract in Canada if he's not a citizen and is under the age of 18?  

He's been called to Canadian youth teams before, I don't know if it was official games or not. If not, he is at least a permanent resident and there was maybe some exception because his family moved to Canada for non-footballing reasons? 

Archived