CANADA vs Mexico @ BC Place 25th March 2016

canadianfoot

CSA needs to be very strategic here.  I think Vancouver is the right call but there are ways they can maximize our support and they should exercise them.  Don't just release all the tickets and make it a Mexican home game.

Start with the Vancouver STH and the Voyageurs and move from there.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets not get carried away. Yesterday was fantastic, but it is a big step from 20 thousand to 55. I also think this game sold well due to the Whitecaps playoff atmosphere and the soccer buzz around the city. Those will have faded by March and all the media will be talking about then is a Canucks playoff push or failure.

It's also a HUGE step up from the opponent being Honduras and the opponent being Mexico. I think this game sells itself thanks to the opponent. I would expect AT LEAST 20,000 Mexicans. They travel, they are patriotic, they are obviously football-mad and there are plenty of them in the Pacific Northwest. I don't think the long weekend will hurt the traveling fans at all; in fact it would probably make it more likely that they would come in the first place, as they don't have to book a day or two off work if they don't want to. Fickle Vancourites might be off to cabins and whatnot, though.

I say keep the Lower Bowl ONLY Open its still 27 500 tickets that need to be sold. AND Maintain a Pro CANADIAN CROWD.

STH, Voyageurs and maybe some soccer schools give them a Really Good Price Break(15$ All Fees Included for all registered players 16yrs and Under. 20$ including BC Transit Tickets built into price).

Think Long Term, start selling Now as a Christmas Gift even. January sales will be flat because everyone will be Holiday Broke... Only later start selling to the Mexicans. 

EDIT: Please stop posting this

Only voyageurs registered on the site before today can get tickets lol. That should be the rule to guarantee a pro canadian crowd lol. Jokes aside, are there any actual ways to try to get the tickets out of the hands out mexican fans other than buying quickly?

Despite the title and first post of this thread, the location of the March home date is not confirmed.

Floro's post-game remarks don't constitute official confirmation. Of course he and the players will have a big say in where the game is played, and they were all buzzing after Friday night's game. But the CSA has not confirmed anything at this point.

So yeah, it will *probably* be at BC Place, but folks shouldn't book those non-refundable plane tickets just yet.

Despite the title and first post of this thread, the location of the March home date is not confirmed.

Floro's post-game remarks don't constitute official confirmation. Of course he and the players will have a big say in where the game is played, and they were all buzzing after Friday night's game. But the CSA has not confirmed anything at this point.

So yeah, it will *probably* be at BC Place, but folks shouldn't book those non-refundable plane tickets just yet.

it wasnt only Floro. It was also the PA Announcer during the game that made a public announcement. Unless he just blurred it out.

Has the U.S. done anything to limit the amount of Mexican fans at any of their many previous home matches? Especially WCQers. 

Im gonna guess that attendance for a match at B.C. Place against Mexico could be in the range of 32000 to 35000 with approximately 10,000 being Mexican support. 

Traditionally a huge block of tickets is released to OSU students I think.  That must help.  Not sure how they liaison with American Outlaws etc for the rest

I liked the enclosed nature of BC Place.  You got the sense that we had Honduras totally surrounded in red, and the seats are closer to the action, so its more intimidating for the opposing teams.  And noise carries really nicely in there, makes us seem louder, we came across loud and clear on TV.  Our section in particular is great because we got to verbally assault Honduras 4 times as they had to walk right past our section to get in and out.  We got really vicious with them and they were only like a metre or 2 away from us, they noticed it, and they reacted, either rushing by with their heads down or giving abuse back to us.  Little bits of distraction and hostility like that are priceless.  

Just got the sense that we had a much bigger and better presence at BC Place than at BMO.  There was red everywhere.  And the stadium and security was very accommodating to us in setting up the banners etc.  

Overall Friday was a tremendous success, and we'd be foolish to not want to build on that.

There must have been some steps taken to either limit the number of Honduran fans or, at least, direct them all (or most) into an away section. What did the CSA/Voyageurs do in this regard?

They set up proper away sections.  People bought tickets there.  

I am assuming giving whitecaps season ticket holders first dibs would be huge and selling tickets to people who bought previous tickets through the voyageurs as well although i don't know how much of a logistical problem that would be for Jamie.

Edited by socceronly

I guess you'd never have a situation (as in some countries in Europe) where opposing supporters are only granted a limited number of tickets.

The CSA could offer a certain section to away support but it would be difficult to stop anyone living in Canada from buying a ticket in any section.

Archived