CANADA vs Mexico @ BC Place 25th March 2016

canadianfoot

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was on the Ticketmaster site today and ticket sales seem to be hopping. I'm not sure if I'm reading the situation correctly but it seems a lot of tickets on both sides have sold out. I'm vacillating between being excited that so many Vancouverites (presumably Canada fans) have bought so many tickets and being petrified that half of those are Mexico fans. I sent out some tweets about it here: https://twitter.com/FrTheBlackHole/status/676466449754423296

Thoughts?

25 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

why are you afraid of having Mexican supporters in the building?

Please tell me you are being sarcastic or this is not one of your PC rants where you accuse people of being racist. Obviously he wants a home field advantage when Canada is playing at home.

11 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

why are you afraid of having Mexican supporters in the building?

Because a strongly pro-Canada crowd will pump up the Canadian team. But if there are thousands of Mexican fans then our team loses its home field advantage. 

This is something that most on this board will think is pretty obvious. 

The ticket sales really are something else. It very much appears that most of the seats in the lower bowl were opened for sale and are now sold. The CSA tweeted out that by the end of the presage, 60% of the lower bowl was sold. Assuming this means 60% of the entire lower bowl, that's over 16,000 tickets. Now it must be nearing 25,000 judging by the seat map.

Excepting the WWC, I've never seen Canada ticket sales like this. Crazy stuff.

I'd be very curious to know what people in Vancouver have been hearing, if there's a lot of buzz etc. Or similarly, if anyone has connections in the ticket office and has some handle on who is buying these tickets.

2 hours ago, canta15 said:

Please tell me you are being sarcastic or this is not one of your PC rants where you accuse people of being racist. Obviously he wants a home field advantage when Canada is playing at home.

LOL its most definitely a PC rant. If it was 100 percent mexicans he still wouldn't be happy

37 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I'd be very curious to know what people in Vancouver have been hearing, if there's a lot of buzz etc. Or similarly, if anyone has connections in the ticket office and has some handle on who is buying these tickets.

Me too. Here is one interesting stat:

Facebook event for the Voyageurs:

http://www.facebook.com/events/155792508111018/

as of 11pm EST Dec 16th 484 people are confirmed as going to the game

Facebook event for ComunidadMexicana.ca (a Vancouver based group):

http://www.facebook.com/events/1212413755455195/

as of 11pm EST Dec 16th 241 people are confirmed as going to the game

That's just one expat community in Vancouver. They will be loud. They'll march from the Art Gallery to BC Place and have a Mariachi band too. Are the $60 tickets in the Mexican section because it seems they bought plenty of those? Read what they've posted.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Me too. Here is one interesting stat:

Facebook event for the Voyageurs:

http://www.facebook.com/events/155792508111018/

as of 11pm EST Dec 16th 484 people are confirmed as going to the game

Facebook event for ComunidadMexicana.ca (a Vancouver based group):

http://www.facebook.com/events/1212413755455195/

as of 11pm EST Dec 16th 241 people are confirmed as going to the game

That's just one expat community in Vancouver. They will be loud. They'll march from the Art Gallery to BC Place and have a Mariachi band too. Are the $60 tickets in the Mexican section because it seems they bought plenty of those? Read what they've posted.

A mariachi band?! Damn. We need some musical accompaniment for our Portage!

Should Voyageurs not sing canoeing songs on a portage?  Like Alouette or Aupres de ma Blonde?  LOTS of people know the words to Alouette, to the point where others in passing might be drawn into the singing, not just Vs. Good one that lots of people might be willing to sing loud and thereby drown out mariachi bands and the like. Bet it would sound great in the stadium too, with "Aaalllllll...." drawn out long at the start, and the calls and repeats from one side to the other, if something like that could be coordinated...

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

If we want a home field advantage, then work harder during the match.  Openly speaking about hoping people of certain cultural backgrounds not being able to get tickets is a disgrace.  This is Canada , we are an open country; this smells so much like Harperism and old stock white canadian crap.

A home field advantage is possible, very easily.  Hoping Mexicans can not buy tickets is cowardly.  Out work them during the match instead of trying to limit their numbers.

23 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

If we want a home field advantage, then work harder during the match.  Openly speaking about hoping people of certain cultural backgrounds not being able to get tickets is a disgrace.  This is Canada , we are an open country; this smells so much like Harperism and old stock white canadian crap.

A home field advantage is possible, very easily.  Hoping Mexicans can not buy tickets is cowardly.  Out work them during the match instead of trying to limit their numbers.

Man do you ever give it a rest? You have to be the most sensitive person I have ever come across on this board. This is a Canadian supporters forum, so please keep that context in mind.

Yes we want to limit away support, regardless if it is Mexican, Honduran, Salvadorian, American or anything else, friendly or qualifier. We are not sorry for this.

Stop viewing this as a cultural matter, this has nothing to do with culture or discrimination and everything to do with football and winning and seeing Canadian soccer be successful.

Signed: a multicultural voyageur who loves Spanish/Latin culture, music and language.

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes we want to limit away support, regardless if it is Mexican, Honduran, Salvadorian, American or anything else, friendly or qualifier. We are not sorry for this.

I am not even sure this is legal in Canada. .  If you guys want to secretly stop people who are not supporting Canada from getting tickets in a public and government owned facility, that is your choice. I think publicly proclaiming it is very bad for you, your image, and is not what Canada is about as a country.

this is repugnant behavior to try to block people from attending a public event based on their skin color, language, or country of origin.   I think you seem to forget that a large portion of Mexican supporters will be people living in Canada as permanent residents, on work permits, or are citizens.  They are legally allowed to have full access to our stadiums like anyone else.

So, you are either openly discriminating against people that you perceive "to not be canadian" and trying to stop them from entering a public facility, OR, you are afraid of "too many of them" showing up and making it more difficult to be the loudest people in the facility.  You should embrace the challenge of facing a large supporters group in "battle" and relish in it; not turtle in the corner and try to stop them from entering so you can have an easy time of it.

19 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

I am not even sure this is legal in Canada. .  If you guys want to secretly stop people who are not supporting Canada from getting tickets in a public and government owned facility, that is your choice. I think publicly proclaiming it is very bad for you, your image, and is not what Canada is about as a country.

this is repugnant behavior to try to block people from attending a public event based on their skin color, language, or color of origin.

Okay this is probably a joke, but just in case it's not, i'll try this again:

We are a Canadian Soccer Supporters Group. Our goal/desire is to maximize Canadian support in the stadium. If there is a way for us to limit away support, we will do so. We do not care about the skin colour, language, or colour of origin (whatever that means) of our opponents. We only care about beating our opponents in soccer - nothing more. To beat our opponents, it is essential more fans are cheering for Canada than the away team.

Our own players come from a variety of backgrounds (Trinidadian, Jamaican/Filipino, Columbian, Dutch, American, Croatian, Greek, Ghanian, etc.). We also are comprised of many different races, ethnic groups and cultures.

So, stop describing this as repugnant behaviour, and stop acting like we are blocking people based on their skin colour. We ourselves are made up of a variety of skin colours. You are actually making yourself look very unintelligent. 

Is this clear for you now, or should I try and explain this a different way for you?

1 hour ago, amanfromvancouver said:

I think you seem to forget that a large portion of Mexican supporters will be people living in Canada as permanent residents, on work permits, or are citizens.  They are legally allowed to have full access to our stadiums like anyone else.

So, you are either openly discriminating against people that you perceive "to not be canadian" and trying to stop them from entering a public facility, OR, you are afraid of "too many of them" showing up and making it more difficult to be the loudest people in the facility.  You should embrace the challenge of facing a large supporters group in "battle" and relish in it; not turtle in the corner and try to stop them from entering so you can have an easy time of it.

Yes I understand these "away fans" may be Canadians cheering against Canada (which is a shame, but that's another conversation). This actually proves my point though - even citizenship doesn't matter, you can actually be a Canadian, but if you are cheering against Canada, we don't want you in the stadium if we can help it. Do you understand my point? 

My point is that the only thing that matters is that you cheer for Canada. Even if you are a Canadian, if you cheer against Canada we want to limit your influence in any way we can. We are a Canadian Soccer SUPPORTERS Group - what do you expect?

As an aside, consider the Panama fans in Panama City that blasted music, shot fireworks, and made noise outside of our team's hotel to prevent them from sleeping. Those fans were doing everything they could to give their team an advantage. That is what we are doing here with the Stadium situation..

Are we afraid of "too many of them" showing up? Absolutely! That is obvious. Mexico in particular have a massive football following, one of the best in the world. If we are not proactive in limiting their support, the stadium will be more green than red. I respect their passion for the game, and we all aspire to have even half the fan following that they have one day in the future, but that won't happen overnight and won't happen before March 25th. The only way we can grow is if we win, and limiting their influence in the stadium will help us win. 

Finally, I am not discriminating against people I perceive "to not be canadian". You are making shit up. You sound like a victim of discrimination, or perhaps someone close to you is a victim, but that shit has nothing to do with our group, so we'd all appreciate it if you stop projecting your issues onto this discussion. I am sorry for your experience, but it has nothing to do with us.

Good luck!

On 12/17/2015 at 3:19 AM, amanfromvancouver said:

this is repugnant behavior to try to block people from attending a public event based on their skin color, language, or country of origin.   I think you seem to forget that a large portion of Mexican supporters will be people living in Canada as permanent residents, on work permits, or are citizens.  They are legally allowed to have full access to our stadiums like anyone else.

6 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Openly speaking about hoping people of certain cultural backgrounds not being able to get tickets is a disgrace.

Hoping Mexicans can not buy tickets is cowardly.

I've been very civil, but you are misconstruing things. Nobody here has said that they hope Mexico fans 'can not' buy tickets, as in, is not financially able to or something like that. I certainly hope that they 'did not' buy tickets. In fact, this is more of a disappointment with Canada fans as anything else as history has shown that Canadians tend not to come out in big numbers and tend not to buy tickets until late. Therefore it's natural for people to worry about the situation here. 

But this is something that you seem to be unable to understand. So I'm done engaging with you on this topic now. 

Does anyone have an update on ticket sales? About 100 days to go until game time and it looks like the lower bowl is 90% sold out so are we actually at 25,000 tickets sold?

If that is the case, they have to open up the upper bowl and let's start breaking some attendance records! If you think about it, we're playing a top 20 team in the world at home in a very critical World Cup Qualifier for both countries... how often does that happen? This is an easy sell

Archived