Your XI for November

Keegan

don't agree with the logic here. Do those results fall squarely on Bernier or de Guzman's shoulders? Without a fact check, I am confident in saying that Hutchinson was a part of those results too.

How can you say we shouldn't call Bernier or de Guzman because we never got results with them, yet exclude Hutchinson from that logic when he was also part of that group? That is a very poor argument to make. 

If you don't want either de Guzman or Bernier called, present a case for an alternative player and provide a supporting argument for why player x is a better choice - but don't say we shouldn't call them because we never qualified for the world cup with them. That logic is extremely flawed.

I get what you're saying, it doesn't rest on their shoulders, you're right. I just don't see how including Bernier is gonna bring us any closer this time as it ever has before. Same goes with jdg. Hutchinson has more to bring to the table than they do.

I feel the top six should be larin; hutch, Johnson, osorio, Akindele, hoilett. With Johnson and hutch as defensive mids. 

I'm just sick of Honduras, every cycle they screw us, so I figure it can't hurt going with a new 11 they've never seen before. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get what you're saying, it doesn't rest on their shoulders, you're right. I just don't see how including Bernier is gonna bring us any closer this time as it ever has before. Same goes with jdg. Hutchinson has more to bring to the table than they do.

I feel the top six should be larin; hutch, Johnson, osorio, Akindele, hoilett. With Johnson and hutch as defensive mids. 

I'm just sick of Honduras, every cycle they screw us, so I figure it can't hurt going with a new 11 they've never seen before. 

I personally would like to see the exact same front 6 (but honoring Floro's 4-1-4-1), with Hutch as the deep lying midfielder.

at the same time, i do not look at how bernier and   deguzman will get us closer than they have in the past. Instead, I look how their experience will once again give us a fighting chance.

To me, players like Larin, Cavallini, Hoilett, Akindele, maybe Osorio are the new faces I expect to actually provide the spark and change that brings closer to our goal - not de Guzman or Bernier...

The veterans like Bernier and de Guzman were never the problem actually, in fact they are needed to provide leadership to the group. Of the two, Floro has leaned more heavily on Julian,  which is fine with me. Regardless, I believe we will benefit with their savy and experience. Especially if they are in good form.

I don't see why we would toss all that experience in the trash heap. There has to be a balance of new faces and veterans.

Think positive, we actually have inform guys that might not be called (Ocean, Bernier, Osorio), this means the player pool is getting a bit deeper right?  We are not used to these kinds of problems.  Osorio might not have even seen the pitch if he was called, so lets not get too upset.  

Osorio might not have even seen the pitch if he was called, so lets not get too upset.  

Hold up there. If he won't get called because there are other guys at his position who are better, that's one thing. If he won't get called because he would only be a bench player and the coach doesn't want to answer questions about why he didn't play, that's cowardice.

Hold up there. If he won't get called because there are other guys at his position who are better, that's one thing. If he won't get called because he would only be a bench player and the coach doesn't want to answer questions about why he didn't play, that's cowardice.

The coach will have to answer questions about why he isn't in the 23, so I don't think that it's cowardice. 

One last attempt at a roster:

Sure Starters: Larin, Hoilett;  Hutchinson, Johnson*;  deJong, Edgar*, Jakovic*, Ledgerwood* (*possibly injured)

Likely Starters: Ricketts;  deGuzman;  Stamatopoulos

Sure Call Ups: Cavallini, Akindele;  Teibert, Piette;  Straith;  Borjan 

The above 17 are sure things, leaving 6 squad spots up for grabs:

Likely Call Ups: Haber;  Bekker;  Morgan, Hainault, Ouimette;  Crepeau, 

(Possible Injury Cover: Nakajima-Farran, Bernier; Lefevre, James)

Left Out: Jackson, Edwini-Bonsu, Hamilton, Hume, Occean;  Osorio, Petrasso, Tissot, Trafford, Pacheco, Froese, Bustos, Aleman;  Henry*, Aird, Adekugbe, Attakora, Gasparotto;  Hirschfeld, Roberts, Thomas

------------------------------Larin

Hoilett-------Hutchinson-------Johnson/Teibert-------Ricketts

---------------------------deGuzman

deJong---Jakovic/Straith---Edgar/Hainault---Ledgerwood/Ouimette

-------------------------Stamatopoulos

Nice post Brennanfan. That puts it into perspective.  Lots of guys left out, maybe one of the current favorites but lets be positive.  For the next go round of games we have plenty of replacements for possible injuries or other guys that might throw a fit on field and embarass the coach and their parents.  

^generally agree, but the way that Canada Soccer has been pushing the Aird interview all over Twitter recently would leave me to believe that he will be called up too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4esnTvl6qo

I thought about that too when I saw it.  Given Ledgerwood's injury, it may be a good idea to call up Aird, if only to push Ouimette for his replacement spot at RB.  

Please tell us how this statement is more than just seculation. We know is was angry about being subbed off in the past; how do we know that is the specific and only reason for not getting a call?

ah, sorry, I thought this forum was nothing but speculation. No, I'm not on the coaching staff, so I'll leave it to all of you that have the cold hard facts.

If we have 0 points by November 17th at 11pm I will agree with this. I'm willing to trust in him until then.

Would we be any better off with 1 or 2 points? Even 4 puts us somewhat behind the eight ball, since we would have burned either 2 home points or our best (honestly: only) chance to win a road match.

This is the source of my great frustration with the whole lead up to this round - missing international windows/matches; Floro away cashing cheques with the U23s; seeming pettiness/squabbling all around [does it really matter whether its Osorio or Teibert or Occean or Floro who the source of apparent bad feelings? The effect is the same.]

These are two of the three most vital matches we'll play. Two of the three best shots at 3 points. We don't get warm-up matches. Take your best 23, ffs.

Take your best 23, ffs.

And there's the problem: the 23 players with the most skill does not necessarily make the best team.  You need a wide variety of skillsets to win games against quality opposition, and make no mistake that is what we are facing this round.  While thinking that we can beat any team will give you a nice warm and fuzzy, thinking that any of these games should be a walk in the park severely underestimates our opponent.

This is not a video game and we just don't have the talent to play an offensively minded run and gun game.

While thinking that we can beat any team will give you a nice warm and fuzzy, thinking that any of these games should be a walk in the park severely underestimates our opponent.

This is not a video game and we just don't have the talent to play an offensively minded run and gun game.

Not sure where I said anything to solicit this response. But, you are obviously free to randomly quote me in support of any point you want to make.

My problem (and I've never played a football video game in my life) which I'll now state for myself is actually that I believe we need to be able to hold our own in possession and not just try to absorb pressure.

ah, sorry, I thought this forum was nothing but speculation. No, I'm not on the coaching staff, so I'll leave it to all of you that have the cold hard facts.

Well, I don't mind speculating myself so I'm going to guess that Manjekar James will be in the squad as one of the CBs (if he is healthy).

Archived