Your XI for November

Keegan

I think we are all getting tired of your shit.

Anway Mmypreffered 11

Larin

Hoilett Johnson Hutchinson Akindele

de Guzman

de Jong Two of Edgar/Jakovic/Hainault/Lefevre Ouimette

Borjan

I love this starting 11, especially with osorio out (id have him starting if he was called). One of haber/ cavallini comes in for Larin, Ricketts comes in for Akindele, Teibert in for another mid depending on the game situation.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where I said anything to solicit this response. But, you are obviously free to randomly quote me in support of any point you want to make.

My problem (and I've never played a football video game in my life) which I'll now state for myself is actually that I believe we need to be able to hold our own in possession and not just try to absorb pressure.

Okay, I'll try to spell it out: You can't just randomly grab your 23 most skilled players and assume that is your best team.  You have to build the team with guys that excel in all different skillsets.  Most here barely have Piette as one of our top 23 players in terms of pure skill, however he excels at the holding mid position and actually brings a lot more to the table at that position than most other players.  You need some guys that excel at dribbling, some that excel at passing, some that excel at speed, some that excel at putting the ball in the net etc.  Not just the best 23.

Thinking that we can just put our(quote, unquote) "best" out there and "hold our own in possession" and expect to win severely underestimates our opponent.

I love this starting 11, especially with osorio out (id have him starting if he was called). One of haber/ cavallini comes in for Larin, Ricketts comes in for Akindele, Teibert in for another mid depending on the game situation.

I too like Fullback's lineup.  The only change I would make would be Ricketts for Akindele.  I know a lot of people don't really rate Ricketts, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.  12 goals in 45 caps is nothing to sneeze at (and actually leads active players).  Sure he misses some glorious chances, but he at least gets those chances which is a far cry from some of our other guys.  He reminds me of Gerba.

I too like Fullback's lineup.  The only change I would make would be Ricketts for Akindele.  I know a lot of people don't really rate Ricketts, but it's hard to argue with the numbers.  12 goals in 45 caps is nothing to sneeze at (and actually leads active players).  Sure he misses some glorious chances, but he at least gets those chances which is a far cry from some of our other guys.  He reminds me of Gerba.

Exactly.  Also being a defender myself I like to think from the perspective.  Who would be tougher to defend, Akindele or Ricketts?  Ricketts is the easy answer simply because of his speed, you always need to be on your toes, you can't afford to push forward or give him an inch... regardless of whether he'll finish or if he's a good dribbler or not the simple fact is that he has the ability to beat you and that makes him extremely dangerous.  Ricketts and Hoilett on opposite wings makes it real tough for full backs to get involved in the final third.  As I've said before too Ricketts played all last year as a wing back, he is decent defensively and his speed/athleticism allows him to get involved at both ends, he's also not bad in the air.

https://youtu.be/MOVBy4VjksE  .... and then there's that

Akindele is better technically no doubt, but he's not technically skilled to the point where he would scare/worry me as an international defender, obviously I'm not but I'm just thinking from that perspective.  I don't think Emilio Izaguirre would have much trouble with Akindele but any defender has trouble with speed, you're hopeless if caught out.  

I can't see Aleman being there. Not because he wouldn't deserve to be based on his current form, but more because he hasn't been called up once in the Floro era.

Aleman seems to be at the same spot in the depth chart as someone like Charlie Trafford, who I'm not expecting to be called up either (although I'm sure Trafford would be called up before Aleman if there was a spot for one of the two)

I can't see Aleman being there. Not because he wouldn't deserve to be based on his current form, but more because he hasn't been called up once in the Floro era.

Aleman seems to be at the same spot in the depth chart as someone like Charlie Trafford, who I'm not expecting to be called up either (although I'm sure Trafford would be called up before Aleman if there was a spot for one of the two)

Aleman actually has been called up in the Floro era, he didn't feature but he's been in camp for sure.  I can't remember if it was the  Moldova/Bulgaria friendlies or Colombia but he was definitely there.

Edit: It was the Moldova/Bulgaria friendlies

http://www.concacaf.com/article/canada-reveals-roster-for-camp-friendlies

Exactly.  Also being a defender myself I like to think from the perspective.  Who would be tougher to defend, Akindele or Ricketts?  Ricketts is the easy answer simply because of his speed, you always need to be on your toes, you can't afford to push forward or give him an inch... regardless of whether he'll finish or if he's a good dribbler or not the simple fact is that he has the ability to beat you and that makes him extremely dangerous.  Ricketts and Hoilett on opposite wings makes it real tough for full backs to get involved in the final third.  As I've said before too Ricketts played all last year as a wing back, he is decent defensively and his speed/athleticism allows him to get involved at both ends, he's also not bad in the air.

https://youtu.be/MOVBy4VjksE  .... and then there's that

Akindele is better technically no doubt, but he's not technically skilled to the point where he would scare/worry me as an international defender, obviously I'm not but I'm just thinking from that perspective.  I don't think Emilio Izaguirre would have much trouble with Akindele but any defender has trouble with speed, you're hopeless if caught out.  

I don't think Izaguirre will have a problem with either unfortunately, but I do see your point about speed. There is some validity to that.

At the same time, being a fellow defender, I am sure you won't mind me touching on the value of positioning:

Just because an attacker has speed doesn't necessarily mean you are going to have trouble dealing with him. I have played against attackers with incredible pace, in both provincial and national competition. You can deal with that if your positioning is good.

The key when isolated 1 v 1 is to resist getting too tight. Anticipate when your opponent is going to try and push the ball around you, so you can get the jump on him and neutralize the situation. It is very much a mental game.

Within team defending, you just have to do your best to communicate. If a ball gets played in behind, your CB needs to recognize and react, while you tuck in behind. That is actually true regardless of an attackers pace - you just have to react quicker when dealing with quicker attackers, that's all.

Personally, I would much rather defend a player with outstanding pace, than a player with outstanding movement. The worst thing that can happen is allowing attackers to drag you out of shape. 

All that being said, I have never really observed great movement from Ricketts or Akindele. Perhaps Ricketts is the way to go considering his freakish speed, but to me, Akindele is so much better at bringing others into play, and he still has good speed, while offensive movements can sometimes break down when Ricketts is on the ball. 

It will be interesting to see who gets the nod. Happy with either at this stage of the game!

Exactly, if you read my post again I'm not saying he is going to have a problem necessarily but as you said he (the defender) needs to be aware of his positioning and he can't afford to let Ricketts get behind him.  His need to be positionally aware will theoretically cut down on his forays into the attacking third.  1 v 1 I don't think Ricketts or Akindele are a huge threat to defenders but Ricketts speed will keep any defender honest.  I don't think anyone on this board would have faced someone with the level of speed Ricketts possesses.  

There's something terribly demoralizing about having a teammate blow by defenders for laughs and then have him blast it as hard as he can into the clouds time and time again. As a defender, I enjoy playing against those types. There's always hope though...go Ricketts!

Aleman actually has been called up in the Floro era, he didn't feature but he's been in camp for sure.  I can't remember if it was the  Moldova/Bulgaria friendlies or Colombia but he was definitely there.

Edit: It was the Moldova/Bulgaria friendlies

http://www.concacaf.com/article/canada-reveals-roster-for-camp-friendlies

Keven also played vs Mauritania, first camp. I saw the 1st game. Very chaotic player, a lot younger then. I would like to see him play, Costa Rica league is solid an he sounds like he does well. Unless something came up--maybe Floro would have preferred him to stay in Spain?

Keven also played vs Mauritania, first camp. I saw the 1st game. Very chaotic player, a lot younger then. I would like to see him play, Costa Rica league is solid an he sounds like he does well. Unless something came up--maybe Floro would have preferred him to stay in Spain?

Man, I would be so happy to see Aleman called up. Very small chance of that, I know, but I would really like to see him get his chance, and although inexperienced, he would be able to adapt well to the conditions in El Salvador.

I always have time for a young attacker that's scoring in a respectable league.

Archived