NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

One thing, could not actually be the case, but it could be true. Bob Bradley's success with stabekk got them into the Europa league, which means money, money that perhaps they will spend on Cornelius. Just a thought.

Actually from some of the things I have read in the articles it sounds like they are pretty low budget and not looking to spend very much which is not a good sign for Cornelius.

59 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

It's a forum, people will discuss things. Deal with it.

But I agree to a certain extend and have voiced this: Lets keep politics & other irrelevant stuff out of it.

Typically discussion was always kept to a minimum in this thread over the years. If discussion was warranted posters were encouraged to start a new thread, such as "Derek Cornelius trialing at Terek Grozny". That way new info. relating to a player would not get lost in the clutter of a few pages of new posts in a short time span. It makes sense imo.

6 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

It's a forum, people will discuss things. Deal with it.

But I agree to a certain extend and have voiced this: Lets keep politics & other irrelevant stuff out of it.

It wasn't a shot at you, the work you do keeping it updated is greatly appreciated. With Dub basically creating a thread for every up-and-comer and Grizz being on the board before I was born I figured the discussion would have taken place elsewhere. 

I remember when I first joined the board whenever something was posted in the MOACAA thread I got pumped because it meant shit was happening, now more often that not it turns out to be a dick swinging contest about who knows more about a league/country/politics.

9 hours ago, Oranje said:

It wasn't a shot at you, the work you do keeping it updated is greatly appreciated. With Dub basically creating a thread for every up-and-comer and Grizz being on the board before I was born I figured the discussion would have taken place elsewhere. 

I remember when I first joined the board whenever something was posted in the MOACAA thread I got pumped because it meant shit was happening, now more often that not it turns out to be a dick swinging contest about who knows more about a league/country/politics.

Gotcha. Yeah it's hard for me to moderate this thread, as I have no rights to do so. But I certainly like this suggestion. Would be best, if we just posted updates, or at the most reasonable rumours.

Kristian Lee-Him has dreams of playing for T&T.  

" Lee-Him told the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) in a little chit-chat session yesterday: “I want to play for T&T one day and have always wanted to, even if I get the chance to train with them it would be wonderful. However, I know I have to continue to work hard and settle in with a club to improve my chances.”

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=65131.0

1 hour ago, Toje said:

Kristian Lee-Him has dreams of playing for T&T.  

" Lee-Him told the Soca Warriors Online (SWO) in a little chit-chat session yesterday: “I want to play for T&T one day and have always wanted to, even if I get the chance to train with them it would be wonderful. However, I know I have to continue to work hard and settle in with a club to improve my chances.”

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=65131.0

So his other nationalities are actually Trinidadian and Italian (the doc has him listed as Korean).

Some conflicting reports today on Cornelius, an article from Lubeck states that he will stay with Lubeck while a report from Norway states that Stabaek still has not made a decision on him (although the same article reports they signed another midfielder from Senegal). The article from Lubeck also states surprisingly that he will play for their U19 team not their 1st team. Their U19 is playing at a higher division than the first team, the 2nd division, and is also in first place and could promote to the U19 1st Bundesliga next year. It is possible they would like him to play there to ensure they promote, or possibly they think it better he play with younger but more talented players at the U19 level than with less skill adult players in the 4th division or maybe there are some rules that make a transfer easier or more lucrative if he stays with the U19. Another possibility would be if they were angry about him wanting to transfer but I did not get that impression from any of the articles so far. 

http://luebeck.sportbuzzer.de/regionalliga-nord/artikel/nach-transfer-posse-derek-cornelius-trifft-wieder-fuer-den-vfb-luebeck/56208/222

http://www.budstikka.no/stabak-fotball/fotball/sport/landslagsspiller-fra-senegal-til-stabak/s/5-55-276589

40 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Dejong in NASL. Quite a fall over the last 4 years for him.

On one hand, yes it has. On the other, the level in NASL has also risen dramatically over the last couple of years. Eric Avila, Wilson Palacios, Freddy Adu, Robby Findley to name a few, are pretty decent players IMO. 

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Happy he found a club, unhappy with the level he'll be playing at. How long is his deal?

I think it would be more accurate to say we are unhappy with the level of his play. Given his level of play recently this is the right level for him because if he was at MLS or similar he would be sitting on the bench like he was at Kansas City and Augsburg before that. Possibly his lack of playing time for so many years is what has caused his decline in performance or possibly it is other reasons like age, accumulated injuries, etc. We can hope that regular playing time in NASL will bring him back to his previous form but at the same time we need to be developing other players to take over his spot in the starting lineup.

1 minute ago, Grizzly said:

I think it would be more accurate to say we are unhappy with the level of his play. Given his level of play recently this is the right level for him because if he was at MLS or similar he would be sitting on the bench like he was at Kansas City and Augsburg before that. Possibly his lack of playing time for so many years is what has caused his decline in performance or possibly it is other reasons like age, accumulated injuries, etc. We can hope that regular playing time in NASL will bring him back to his previous form but at the same time we need to be developing other players to take over his spot in the starting lineup.

I agree with that, but at the same time I ask the questions: why NASL? Why not go back to Europe?

NASL is not typically an environment where a player can impress and move up a level, especially at the age of 29.

I fully agree that he's now in the NASL due to a drop off in his performance level, but there are many equivalent leagues in Europe that would give him a better chance of moving back up the professional ladder.

Disagree.  I don't think his form was bad last year.  He had excellent competition at SKC and couldnt lock down a starting spot his first year in the league. It happens - doesnt mean he is not MLS quality. 

His lack of MLS contract is more a product of teams not being able to justify an international spot on a left back, when he is at a comparable level to domestic left backs.  He was also on a decent sized contract, 190K, and was making more than Sinovic who was his left back competition.  

He didn't have a great game against the US, but I thought he had a good Gold Cup, especially against Costa Rica.  He was at the level we needed him to be in the fall WCQs.  Lets not forget his free kick against Jamaica in the 2014 friendly and the strike against Ghana last fall.  He is still by far our best LB option and I hope things work out for him in Ottawa.  

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I agree with that, but at the same time I ask the questions: why NASL? Why not go back to Europe?

NASL is not typically an environment where a player can impress and move up a level, especially at the age of 29.

He couldn't have gone back to most leagues Europe because the transfer window was closed. He felt that he need to show something because his MLS career was a bust.