NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

Still no agreement on the Cornelius transfer between Terek and Lubeck. Cornelius is back in Lubeck and not at the 3rd stage of Terek's training camp after participating in the first two. According to a Lubeck team official one or more other teams are now interested in him though that might be just a negotiating technique to drive up the fee. The Russian transfer window closes in 6 days.

http://luebeck.sportbuzzer.de/regionalliga-nord/artikel/platzt-der-grosny-wechsel-weitere-interessenten-fuer-vfber-cornelius/55322/222

14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Still no agreement on the Cornelius transfer between Terek and Lubeck. Cornelius is back in Lubeck and not at the 3rd stage of Terek's training camp after participating in the first two. According to a Lubeck team official one or more other teams are now interested in him though that might be just a negotiating technique to drive up the fee. The Russian transfer window closes in 6 days.

http://luebeck.sportbuzzer.de/regionalliga-nord/artikel/platzt-der-grosny-wechsel-weitere-interessenten-fuer-vfber-cornelius/55322/222

Gulp. I more or less reported this transfer as official, pending medical, on the Two Solitudes Podcast.

Lubeck have apparently rejected Terek's offer for Cornelius and he has flown to Spain to train with another interested team, Norwegian Tippeligaen team, Stabaek. According to the article a transfer to Terek is still possible but Terek will have to increase their offer to Lubeck for it to happen. Lubeck is also negotiating with Stabaek on a possible transfer.

http://luebeck.sportbuzzer.de/regionalliga-nord/artikel/skandinavien-klub-ist-dran-vfber-cornelius-zu-verhandlungen-in-marbella/55447/222 

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Lubeck have apparently rejected Terek's offer for Cornelius and he has flown to Spain to train with another interested team, Norwegian Tippeligaen team, Stabaek. According to the article a transfer to Terek is still possible but Terek will have to increase their offer to Lubeck for it to happen. Lubeck is also negotiating with Stabaek on a possible transfer.

http://luebeck.sportbuzzer.de/regionalliga-nord/artikel/skandinavien-klub-ist-dran-vfber-cornelius-zu-verhandlungen-in-marbella/55447/222 

This transfer saga is insane...

39 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

This transfer saga is insane...

Not really, seems pretty typical to me. Teams negotiate the fee all the time and find other potential buyers to either get more money from the new buyer or make the original buyer pay more. Also one has to be very skeptical of all reports, ie. it is possible Stabaek is really interested in Cornelius but it is also possible Lubeck asked them to look at him to put pressure on Terek and drive up the price and he will just train with them with no potential of signing. Just typical football business.

Have to say, I'm loving what League1 Ontario has brought to the table development wise in its short history. Ewart, Johnathan Grant and Luca Uccello are all examples of young talent who are able to get contracts through showcasing their talents in the league. Hoping we hear that Adonijah Reid has signed somewhere during the course of 2016.

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Not really, seems pretty typical to me. Teams negotiate the fee all the time and find other potential buyers to either get more money from the new buyer or make the original buyer pay more. Also one has to be very skeptical of all reports, ie. it is possible Stabaek is really interested in Cornelius but it is also possible Lubeck asked them to look at him to put pressure on Terek and drive up the price and he will just train with them with no potential of signing. Just typical football business.

Yeah just seems Lübeck is driving a hard bargain. Terek is obviously interested, but unwilling to pay a couple hundred K for a player without any experience. My guess would be they probably sign him in the end. 

Edited by shamrock

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

Yeah just seems Lübeck is driving a hard bargain. Terek is obviously interested, but unwilling to pay a couple hundred K for a player without any experience. My guess would be they probably sign him in the end. 

Yeah, but has anyone discussed whether Terek is really the best place for him?  To me that's the real question.  Seems kinda touch and go there, doesn't it?

12 hours ago, downtownordinary said:

Apparently Duwayne Ewart has signed a professional contract with Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

Wow. Ok that is interesting. Bypassing NCAA straight to USL ... I would say if he plays and performs he might be mentioned in same convos as other TFC/VAN/MTL prospects in that league.

I saw him play at the Sigma showcase in Dec and to me, looked to be the most gifted player on the day I was there. I don't want to hype him up to much, but I would say he is one to watch this season.

6 minutes ago, Havoc88 said:

Wow. Ok that is interesting. Bypassing NCAA straight to USL ... I would say if he plays and performs he might be mentioned in same convos as other TFC/VAN/MTL prospects in that league.

I saw him play at the Sigma showcase in Dec and to me, looked to be the most gifted player on the day I was there. I don't want to hype him up to much, but I would say he is one to watch this season.

NCAA has been great for opening doors for a few players (Larin, Laryea, Bekker) but really hasn't worked for others (Irving as the best recent example). I think that we will see more players taking the USL route over NCAA as they can potentially have 4 years professional experience by the time they are even draft eligible.

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

NCAA has been great for opening doors for a few players (Larin, Laryea, Bekker) but really hasn't worked for others (Irving as the best recent example). I think that we will see more players taking the USL route over NCAA as they can potentially have 4 years professional experience by the time they are even draft eligible.

I'm sure some might, but I don't think it's going to be some kind of seismic shift - Ewart is a special case in terms of talent. Most 17yr olds who aren't attached to an MLS academy I would wager 99/100 would go NCAA for the main fact of getting an education.

I think the only kids you'll see doing that are ones who are elite players who can't get into a top NCAA program.

Cornelius scored Stabaek's only goal today as they lost 2-1 in a friendly against RPL team Amkar Perm. He was apparently one of the few bright spots for Stabaek as Perm dominated the game. Stabaek seems to have returned him to his more usual position as offensive mid while Terek played him as a defender but they had a lot of injuries in defence during camp so it might have been out of necessity not an intent to convert him. Incidentally, Stabaek's interest in Cornelius comes from having played against him when they played Terek in Malta while he was trialing with Terek. Looks good that one of the opposing teams during his first trial was impressed enough to give him a trial. Stabaek's next match is against another Russian team, Rostov, and I imagine Terek's interest in him probably has alerted the other Russian teams to him as well. This could end up a bit like the Olivier Occean situation where the New York Metro Stars brought him unsigned to training camp in Europe and he impressed another team who made him a better offer than New York. It looks like he has impressed on his trials and should end up at the very least at a much better level than the German 4th division. 

http://www.budstikka.no/stabak-fotball/fotball/sport/stabak-tester-flere-nye-i-dag/s/5-55-273031

http://www.budstikka.no/sport/fotball/stabak-fotball/senket-av-tidligere-stabak-spiss/s/5-55-273370

Here are the game highlights with his goal at 2:50

Good on him for getting more options. 

Stabeak would be great, especially if he gets to play his real position. But are they going to pay for him? Cause at this point, it doesn't seem Lübeck is willing to let him go for nothing. They just want to get something out of this sitiuation. Stabeak probably has the money, but it's still a gamble for a youth player. 

22 hours ago, Havoc88 said:

I'm sure some might, but I don't think it's going to be some kind of seismic shift - Ewart is a special case in terms of talent. Most 17yr olds who aren't attached to an MLS academy I would wager 99/100 would go NCAA for the main fact of getting an education.

I think the only kids you'll see doing that are ones who are elite players who can't get into a top NCAA program.

Ewart was in the Whitecaps system for about a year and he was good. I am unsure whether he left due to discipline or the new MOU that the players have to sign. I'm not going to speculate on his scholastic abilities.

Cornelius left the Stabaek training camp yesterday. The club's sports director says they will take several days to decide whether to sign him or not. He also states they have some other options. The transfer window for Russia closes today so it seems like that possibility is gone at least for now. Since Terek made him a contract offer and he seems to have done well with Stabaek it seems like the transfer fee demanded by Lubeck is the issue and probably the teams need to see him as a starter or at least a first team player to pay the fee. I suspect they probably want a fair bit of cash up front just like FCE did for Boakai and clubs are more and more reticent to pay that if the player is not going to walk into their starting lineup. It is always an issue with young players signing with clubs weighing what they can gain with the training they get as opposed to the control they give the club over their future. Still at 18 spending some time playing regularly in the German 4th division is still not that bad even if he is capable of playing at a higher level. If he does well other clubs will be interested. His contract with Lubeck is until June 2017 so they need to probably move him in the next year if they want to make money off the transfer. The article mentions that he played against Perm as a defensive midfielder. He was previously playing more as a winger/attacking mid so it seems like both higher level clubs saw him more as a defensive player.

http://www.budstikka.no/stabak/fotball/sport/derek-loste-ikke-midtbane-saken-for-stabak/s/5-55-274159

Edited by Grizzly

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Cornelius left the Stabaek training camp yesterday. The club's sports director says they will take several days to decide whether to sign him or not. He also states they have some other options. The transfer window for Russia closes today so it seems like that possibility is gone at least for now. Since Terek made him a contract offer and he seems to have done well with Stabaek it seems like the transfer fee demanded by Lubeck is the issue and probably the teams need to see him as a starter or at least a first team player to pay the fee. I suspect they probably want a fair bit of cash up front just like FCE did for Boakai and clubs are more and more reticent to pay that if the player is not going to walk into their starting lineup. It is always an issue with young players signing with clubs weighing what they can gain with the training they get as opposed to the control they give the club over their future. Still at 18 spending some time playing regularly in the German 4th division is still not that bad even if he is capable of playing at a higher level. If he does well other clubs will be interested. His contract with Lubeck is until June 2017 so they need to probably move him in the next year if they want to make money off the transfer. The article mentions that he played against Perm as a defensive midfielder. He was previously playing more as a winger/attacking mid so it seems like both higher level clubs saw him more as a defensive player.

http://www.budstikka.no/stabak/fotball/sport/derek-loste-ikke-midtbane-saken-for-stabak/s/5-55-274159

One thing, could not actually be the case, but it could be true. Bob Bradley's success with stabekk got them into the Europa league, which means money, money that perhaps they will spend on Cornelius. Just a thought.