NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

Yes I'd really like to get into this some more, cause I do believe strongly that Germany is a nicer place to stay than Chechnia, (especially for a young football player) but you are right. This is not the place to to it. 

Edit: I would like to say this (my original point), if you are a young player, you shouldn't be looking at were you get the biggest paycheck, or what's the biggest club. I don't know a lot of players that were 18 when playing in Russia, before they transferred to, say the EPL or Spain or whatever. If it was me (or if I was advising a player), first become a big player at a small club. That will give you some credit when you do make that leap to a bigger league. Grozny will chew him up and spit him out. 

"Grozny will chew him up and spit him out"?

You really have no clue what you are talking about and are just spouting ignorance based on your own biases and German arrogance. He should move to the club where he has the best chance of developing into a high level professional player and clearly Terek is a much better opportunity for that than Lubeck. If the choice was between Bremen or Dusseldorf and Terek then we could debate whether Terek is the best choice but it is clearly a better choice than Lubeck. And for your information a lot of young players from Africa, South America and Eastern Europe have had good careers signing with Russian clubs. Some of them have transferred to major leagues but most stay in Russia for similar reasons that we do not see so as many Russians in the European leagues as we do players from other Eastern European countries, because the level of play and pay is good. Just to name one example, the Brazilian player Mauricio after 6 seasons with Terek just transferred to Zenit who are past the group stage after quite easily winning a group with Gent, Valencia and Lyon. If Cornelius succeeds with Terek whether or not he transfers one day to EPL or La Liga he will still be playing at a higher level than any other Canadian player currently though the Turkish league is fairly close in level to the Russian and Hutchinson is at a bigger club than Terek.

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

He should move to the club where he has the best chance of developing into a high level professional player and clearly Terek is a much better opportunity for that than Lubeck. 

1. Totally aree

2. Not so. 

Using a lot of words don't make them right. We'll see where Cornelius will wind up (and how soon). 

Btw I'm not German, nor have I lived there. 

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

So basically you have spent the whole debate comparing Russia/Chechnya with Germany without knowing a lot about either of them.

Yes you can compare living standards in countries objectively without having to live there. It's called comparative sociology. 

Btw I visit Germany often and I think most can agree it's a nice place to live. Surely there's streets in Montreal where I don't want go in the dark, however that doesn't say Canada is a bad place to live either (referring to what you said about neo-Nazis in Germany). 

All I'm saying, and maybe it would be nice if you went into this, that it's really hard to break into a high-level football league as a no-body. We know what happens if you don't cut it at the 1. or 2. Bundesliga-level. You get playing time on a decent level (3rd or 4th) and if you show enough there you'll get another chance either at the parent club or at a new club. What happens if you don't cut it at Grozny? 

20 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Miami seems pretty serious...Paying off his contract and surely he'll get a raise to go there. Was the Fury so cheap on the contracts that virtually all of the valuable players leave at the first chance they can get?

20 minutes ago, downtownordinary said:

Another Canadian in Florida.  Zach Ellis-Hayden (1992) has signed with Orlando City B.

He's a defender who played with K-W United in the PDL last season and at Cleveland State University.

http://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2016/02/04/orlando-city-b-acquires-defender-zach-ellis-hayden-and-goalkeeper-jake-fenlason

Yup, he is already on the list.

In mid-January, Maksym Kowal went on trial to 3rd division Blekitnych Stargard from RKS Rakow (also 3rd division).

http://www.rksrakow.pl/aktualnosci/3920-maksym-kowal-na-testach-w-blekitnych.html?highlight=WyJrb3dhbCJd

http://katowickisport.pl/maksym-kowal-na-testach-w-stargardzie,artykul,636970,1,12778.html

No idea how the trial went or if he stayed with the club.

Looks like de Jong is being released by SKC.  Hope he finds another club and fast.

"You can add Marcel de Jong to the growing list of Canadian internationals who have been kicked to the curb by MLS. The defender was recently told by Sporting Kansas City that he is no longer in the team’s plans. His tenure with SKC lasted all of 847 minutes."

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/soccer/international-soccer/lloyd-barker-national-team-suffers-as-mls-gives-short-shrift-to-canadian-talent

3 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

A Spanish Second Divison club has signed Iain Hume: 

Well that is a surprise, did not expecct that. And could not tell you how he came to make that deal, only that their best striker, a Brazilian, Yuri, was just sold to China and they must have had a free roster spot, combined with Humey being out of contract. A couple points above relegation.

This is the team that Nsaliwa was signed to help for a few games before they went down to 2B, then came back up almost immediately to 2A. I guess Tam thought 2B was below him. They have a new coach, Nistal, who may be provisional or may stay, depending upon results.  Before they had Barragán who played with De Guzman at Deportivo, I think.

I've never been to the stadium, Toralín, but walked past it and looked in on the Camino de Santiago, as well as having been through the whole area. A pretty little town, isolated in a lush valley called El Bierzo which is geographically more part of Galicia that Castille, with wine growing, good food, a modest place though. Has an immense power plant a couple of miles out of town, used to be a mining area. Like a lot of teams in 2nd in Spain playing well over their heads in 2nd Div, but have been very competitive and as their defense is good, I think they just need a few goals and they'll stay up.

Iain has never played in this style before, it may surprise him, but he is fairly technical and has good pace so I think he'll adapt. 

The fans are kiling the front office for signing him, they have no idea who he is and do not think he can help at all. One joked that Hume's only condition for signing was that he would not have share a locker with Descartes.