NEW Mother of all Canucks Abroad (and domestic)

Fussball_eh

Cantave, that is a very good move, I am impressed. That is a leap for him, if he gets minutes he is automatically worth looking at for our seniors since this is the level Piette plays at. The article says he trains this week and will be officially presented next.

Guadalajara is an important provincial capital that has stagnated in recent decades, the team is in Group 2 of 2B, where there are no historical powerhouses and the only team that is really technical is the Real Madrid B team; there are Basque sides and Castillian and it is a physical group. Lots of these teams would have problems in 2A and lots have experienced journeymen. Arenas de Getxo is a founding team of Spanish 1st division, in 1929, but is now small. Guadalajara too have a small stadium and are not really ready to play in a higher division either. Their goal is to stay in this one and enjoy themselves.

I was going through their roster and they have very good, smart signings, some others from Getafe and other Madrid area teams, players from other strong 2B sides in their division, a guy from their own academy. A Korean and a Japanese player. A young keeper from Valencia. Then some senior experience, like Marqués who was at NY Cosmos this year, or striker Riki, who was at Deportivo for 6-7 years and scored a lot, and Granada last year, a 35 year old with 1st division experience. They only show 3 strikers and have scored very little compared to other mid table teams, so Cantave looks to give them a sub with speed and possibilities to get past rivals and cross in, get a look on goal, I think if they've signed him he'll get minutes quickly if he can prove his pace is right and stays healthy.

Looking a bit more at Guadalajara. That article says he was on trial with the second team, took a look and  the B team is in 5th tier in Castille but leading their division, on course for a promotion into 3rd division, one below 2B.

So I could see Cantave being there to help the lower level team promote as well as add to the first team, could move around. While 5th would be a step down, from where he was, in u-19, it is fine if it is how he can get minutes vs senior men for the first time, esp since that team is doing very well. For me looks pretty win-win.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Looking a bit more at Guadalajara. That article says he was on trial with the second team, took a look and  the B team is in 5th tier in Castille but leading their division, on course for a promotion into 3rd division, one below 2B.

So I could see Cantave being there to help the lower level team promote as well as add to the first team, could move around. While 5th would be a step down, from where he was, in u-19, it is fine if it is how he can get minutes vs senior men for the first time, esp since that team is doing very well. For me looks pretty win-win.

I don't really understand the Spanish football pyramid. Keep proving us with info please. I changed the info on the document too, thanks.

Lars Hirschfeld's career is NOT OVER folks! :)

He's just signed with KFUM Oslo (2nd division Norway but called 1.divisjon).

http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/fotball/forstediv/Keeperen-hevet-millionlonn-i-Valerenga-Na-er-han-klar-for-dugnadsklubben-KFUM-676207_1.snd

(thanks to @ BrilliantOranje on twitter for the find)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

21 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Lars Hirschfeld's career is NOT OVER folks! :)

He's just signed with KFUM Oslo (2nd division Norway but called 1.divisjon).

http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/fotball/forstediv/Keeperen-hevet-millionlonn-i-Valerenga-Na-er-han-klar-for-dugnadsklubben-KFUM-676207_1.snd

(thanks to @ BrilliantOranje on twitter for the find)

You know @canucks_abroad posted this on Twitter 10 hours ago right? If you don't follow us, and  you are interested in this kind of thing, please do. Our coverage these days is almost comprehensive.

Edited by Fussball_eh
spelling

1 hour ago, Fussball_eh said:

You know @canucks_abroad posted this on Twitter 10 hours ago right? If you don't follow us, and  you are interested in this kind of thing, please do. Our coverage these days is almost comprehensive.

Ben's not on Twitter very much. Everyone has their preferred media platform(s). Don't be so bossy you humourless German!!

14 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

I'm not on twitter much; but I usually check Canucks Abroad first. Must have missed your post this time, my bad!

I am worthy of public shaming! ;)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

15 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

I don't really understand the Spanish football pyramid. Keep proving us with info please. I changed the info on the document too, thanks.

You have got it right for all three players, perfect. What about that goalkeeper who was in France, went to play in Barcelona, and now is in Granada youth team, forgot his name?

Spain pyramid is:

1-one national division

2A- one national division

2B-four national divisions, multi-regional

These tiers are run by the Spanish Federation.

3-18 national divisions, corresponding to official political regions (except Andalusia with two), whose federations run everything from 3rd down.

From the respective 3rd division for each Autonomous Community down, each region decides how to organize things and wht to call the divisions. The most typical name is Regional Preferente, then 1st Regional, 2nd Regional. In Catalonia, for example, after 3rd they call their divisions 1st Catalana, 2nd Catalana, etc, down to fourth. 

There are usually no more than 8 tiers in organized adult football with promotion and relegation, some regions have 7.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Here is a video of Cantave in action for Getafe U19 last season against Atletico Madrid.  Watch the first 30 seconds, he scores a great goal... looks to be pretty technically skilled but this video doesn't show much other than that.

CD Guadalajara is a great move for him.  At 19 it's time to start playing against men and he has every opportunity to see first team minutes at a good level (good enough for Piette to get called).  I remember Riki from when JDG was at Deportivo.. pretty good player.

According to press in Galicia, Sam Piette could be close to returning to Deportivo B, which would end his loan spell at Racing Ferrol. The team's poor results and a few new loans in (from Cadiz) could be factors, though Sam certainly could not be blamed for the still league leading Ferrol to have won only once of the last 4.

Read it here: http://www.galifutbol.com/ligas-nacionales/segunda-division-b/item/17292-racing-pena-sport-previa.html

Disappointing news given he was playing regularly. 

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

According to press in Galicia, Sam Piette could be close to returning to Deportivo B, which would end his loan spell at Racing Ferrol. The team's poor results and a few new loans in (from Cadiz) could be factors, though Sam certainly could not be blamed for the still league leading Ferrol to have won only once of the last 4.

Read it here: http://www.galifutbol.com/ligas-nacionales/segunda-division-b/item/17292-racing-pena-sport-previa.html

Disappointing news given he was playing regularly. 

He is on the bench for Ferrol today. There is a free & legal stream of the game happening right now: https://t.co/28W2yaCZYu

15 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

He is on the bench for Ferrol today. There is a free & legal stream of the game happening right now: https://t.co/28W2yaCZYu

In fact he has just come on, m. 30, though as I tuned in the announcers repeated the news that he is likely to move back to Deportivo B. And mentioned quite a few other changes to the roster. 

So odd, Piette is the sub in in a critical game  1st half, but they don't want him any more. 

TVG has the live matches on their site: http://www.crtvg.es/deportes/directo/canle/evento2

EDIT: he is on as another got a yellow, so the same coach that pulled him 1st half a few weeks ago, for no particular reason, does the same to another player and sticks in Piette. This coach seems to not be too confident of his team.

1 hour ago, Fussball_eh said:

Many thanks for posting the stream! Up to 70' and I am really impressed with Piette's play so far.. makes me think of JDG in his unassuming but very very sound play, solid positionally and helps releave pressure time after time. He's released forwards with a couple of excellent through balls that remind me of some of his plays for the MNT.. I now see better why Floro rates him so highly. 

Edited by saintjoes

17 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Many thanks for posting the stream! Up to 70' and I am really impressed with Piette's play so far.. makes me think JDG in his unassuming but very very sound play, solid positionally and helps releave pressure time after time. He's released forwards with a couple of excellent through balls that remind me of some of his plays for the MNT.. I now see better why Floro rates him so highly. 

You're welcome. Next time I can provide English commentary if there is enough interest. He was involved crucially in their 3rd goal. He switched the ball over quickly with a long ball from the left to the right side and that lead to a deadly counter with a beautiful goal.

Ya that switch he pulled off was golden!

And actually leading up to that switch it seemed like his teammates were looking to play through him more and more as he showed how trusted he was on the ball to get them out of tight spaces and up the field. It also showed his leadership qualities due to calming competent play - another reason i think Floro and son have given him the arm band. Bodes well for the future.

Thanks again!

ps - I'd be happy to help translate from spanish for others also if desired.. though that lady commentator's lisp had this argentine spanish speaker baffled! :)

Edited by saintjoes

20 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Ya that switch he pulled off was golden!

And actually leading up to that switch it seemed like his teammates were looking to play through him more and more as he showed how trusted he was on the ball to get them out of tight spaces and up the field. It also showed his leadership qualities due to calming competent play - another reason i think Floro and son have given him the arm band. Bodes well for the future.

Thanks again!

ps - I'd be happy to help translate from spanish for others also if desired.. though that lady commentator's lisp had this argentine spanish speaker baffled! :)

Hey santijoes, she was not speaking Spanish, she was speaking Gallego!! You should be able to understand about 80% if you speak Spanish, and the rest you figure out as you go, as it is basically a form of Old Portuguese.

I happen to find Gallego quite beautiful, funnily enough my neighbours in Barcelona speak it, including on the same floor of my building, I live in a barrio full of immigrants from Lugo