Ranking our Central Defenders

Just looking at our Central Defenders and noticing that we have a pretty deep pool of players to choose from - many of them in the early stages of their career. I've taken a stab at ranking them here:

Dejan Jakovic - multi year starter in MLS and Japan

Doneil Henry - multi year starter in MLS and possibly breaking thru to Premier League

David Edgar - part time starter in Championship

Kofi Opare - two-year starter in MLS

Karl Ouimette - part time starter in MLS

Adam Straith - regular in German 3rd div and Norway 2nd div

Mallan Roberts - two-year starter in NASL

Mason Trafford - NASL regular

Manjrekar James - starter in Hungary

Nana Attakora - part time starter in MLS and NASL

Luca Gasparotto - top Rangers prospect

Daniel Stanese - prospect in Augsburg system

Skylar Thomas - Toronto prospect

Jackson Farmer - Vancouver prospect

Adam Bouchard - Toronto prospect

Marko Aleksic - Edmonton prospect

Kosovar Sadiki - Stoke prospect

Matthew Baldisimo - Vancouver prospect

Miss anyone? Alex Comsia? Elias Roubos?

Just looking at our Central Defenders and noticing that we have a pretty deep pool of players to choose from - many of them in the early stages of their career. I've taken a stab at ranking them here:

Doneil Henry - multi year starter in MLS and possibly breaking thru to Premier League

Opare isn't currently eligible and there's no guarantee he will be anytime soon.

^^^^ camara getting citizenship in 2016 would be a nice addition to the RB depth charts.

Also would hainault be included in that central defender list?

We usually play Hainault at RB so i would include him in that pool. Otherwise, I would probably put him after Edgar at this point.

This looks a hell of a lot better than our RB pool:

Ledgerwood

Edward

Practice Dummy

Pilon

Empty beer bottle someone left from last week's match

Retired Paul Stalteri

Retired Chris Pozniak

Sam Lenarduzzi

Ooooh, can I be listed somewhere between Practice Dummy and Pilon ... I've been working on my game. I don't offer much going forward but I can take out someone's knee when needed.

Edited by Addona

Did our most experienced central defender just retire at 29 or something?  Andre Hainault is still one of our top 3 imo.

We usually play Hainault at RB so i would include him in that pool. Otherwise, I would probably put him after Edgar at this point.

I cannot recall Hainault playing at RB for the CMNT. Since Stalteri retired we've had mostly Edgar, Ledgerwood and Henry back there.

Ledgerwood

Edward

Practice Dummy

Pilon

Retired Paul Stalteri

Retired Chris Pozniak

Sam Lenarduzzi

I don't think Floro ranks Edward that high in the depth chart TBH

Edgar is obviously our #1 defender.  Jakovic has to be our second choice given he has a better club situation than Hain or Straith.  These three however are just placeholders until Henry is ready.

I look forward to Henry getting regular games in England so he can become the dominant force we know he can be at the back for us.  We need his heading ability on set pieces.  

Edgar is number 1 to me by the slightest of margins. His club situation is worrying - he really should be able to hold down a starting spot at a club like Birmingham City.

His preformances for us have been solid, my only criticism are the inconsistency of those diagonal long balls he loves to play.

Number 2 for me moving foward is Jakovic. He continues to hold down his starting role at Shimizu S-Pulse, which is more than can be said of Hainault. We'll see where Andre lands and what level he ends up at but unless something changes him and Edgar will be our starters when healthy.

As for Jakvoic's recent CMNT preformances - he's been solid. No bonehead defensive errors and reliable with distribution and posession as always.

Henry is the wild card. If he goes on loan again in the Championship and goes on another run of starting matches again, it's hard to not find a place for him, whether that be CB or RB. Should he stay at West Ham and sit on the bench, I feel far less confident in starting him, particularly at RB - although I think the RB battle will be more about match ups and opponents.

Hainault is clearly in a battle for the 4th spot with Straith; who Floro clearly trusts. I believe Hainault is the utility man for us now, being serviceable anywhere along the backline. A move to a league and club where he can be a starter would be nice. A bigger club in Austria, Switzerland, Slovakia or Czech Republic may be an option - but a return to MLS would be my preference.

• 3 weeks later...

One positive note coming out of the Jamaica game was that Edgar and Jakovic looked very solid.

Edgar reminds me of former Whitecap Andy O'Brien: solid and vocal. 

Jakovic plays a riskier game but made a few courageous tackles.

Agree with Edgar.  He should be team captain IMO.

One positive note coming out of the Jamaica game was that Edgar and Jakovic looked very solid.

Edgar reminds me of former Whitecap Andy O'Brien: solid and vocal. 

Jakovic plays a riskier game but made a few courageous tackles.

Agreed.  Edgar was MOTM for me and definitely our #1 CB.  #2 CB has to be a toss up between Jakovic and Henry.

Ledgerwood

Edward

Practice Dummy

Pilon

Retired Paul Stalteri

Retired Chris Pozniak

Sam Lenarduzzi

Doesn't it feel weird? 

Many countries the question at right 'back is whether you go with a full back or a wing back and the qualities or options each individual brings within that capacity for your set up.  With us it's "are you right footed, not entirely slow and do you have a clue how to defend with others?"

Fu'k me.

Doesn't it feel weird? 

Many countries the question at right 'back is whether you go with a full back or a wing back and the qualities or options each individual brings within that capacity for your set up.  With us it's "are you right footed, not entirely slow and do you have a clue how to defend with others?"

Fu'k me.

For this reason alone, I would try Tosaint at RB....the ability to get up and down the wing, and hes not bad defensively.