Ranking our Central Defenders

17 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I think we can consider Henry and Vitoria locks to return at CB in the fall. Kennedy has probably created a good enough impression to be called back as well against Honduras et al. (not considering Johnston as a CB but he'll be there too).

The Gold Cup would ideally see a group called to challenge for that last CB spot in WCQ rosters. With three game windows in the fall/winter, rotation could be really important. 

Ideally for me:

WCQ Locks: 

Henry

Vitoria

Kennedy

Gold Cup:

Ferreira

Sturing

James

Cornelius

Singh

If there is a taxi squad for GC:

Waterman

Dunn

and maybe a couple CPLers a la Zator, Didic, Schaale if eligible

Gold Cup 60 Man rosters are rumoured to be released today, so we should know a little bit more soon.

Kamal Miller

Just now, Kadenge said:

Kamal Miller

I have no clue how I left him out, I 100% had him in my head. IMO he'd be a lock for the WCQ squad if he wasn't coming off of injury, but I think they might want him to show up to the Gold Cup first

On 6/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, VinceA said:

Yeah I'm not going to complain about the sporting aspect as this helps us massively but outside of this I feel terrible for the players, especially guys like Geffrard who deserve better than this crap from the Haitian FA.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, Stryker911 said:

Not my list, but how I think Herdman rates them based on our last couple games as well as the text squad.

Henry

Kennedy

Vitoria

Miller

Sturing

Waterman

Cornelius

Ferreira

Not really any standouts, but still a solid group. I hope 1 or 2 of these guys can elevate their games another level.

I agree with the fact that this list will continue to evolve between September 2021 and March 2022.

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

What’s up Ferreira anyway? He’s been looking for a club for quite some time now and there are 0 rumours about where he may go. I think he should try and find a club in the first tier of something like Poland or Greece. 

I think teams that could afford his expected salary aren't interested and teams that would take him can't afford his expected salary.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think teams that could afford his expected salary aren't interested and teams that would take him can't afford his expected salary.

But can you really have a high “expected salary” given the last few years.  Skilled or not, he may have to swallow his pride and take a pay cut to get some consistent playing time.  The reality is that he is running out of time.  

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

His knees are a big part of the issue.  The teams probably want to see if he can play regularly and manage to stay healthy before paying what he's expecting.  He might know his knees won't last a season so he's waiting it out to get the biggest contract he can.  Last real pay day. 

Someone that believed in himself would sacrifice the year and work his ass off at a lower level/team to prove himself, he probably knows he can't.  Otherwise, there is no reason not to suck it up for a year.

Edited by costarg

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

His knees are a big part of the issue.  The teams probably want to see if he can play regularly and manage to stay healthy before paying what he's expecting.  He might know his knees won't last a season so he's waiting it out to get the biggest contract he can.  Last real pay day. 

Someone that believed in himself would sacrifice the year and work his ass off at a lower level/team to prove himself, he probably knows he can't.  Otherwise, there is no reason not to suck it up for a year.

I agree with your reasoning and that’s the reason why I personnaly don’t want to see him with the CMNT until he find a club and plays a little bit. It’s not about his quality as a player but more about his fitness level.

• 4 weeks later...

Based on minutes played and national team camp callups (both objective), as well as current/recent form (subjective), here is my best guess at what Herdman's ranking would be:

1. Vitoria
  2. Kennedy
  3. Johnston
  4. Henry
  5. Miller
  6. Sturing
  7. Cornelius
  8. *Ferreira
  9. *Waterman
  10. *Singh
  11. Didic
  12. James

I think everyone else is outside of the pool, but the next closest would probably be: Zator, Norman jr., Montgomery, and Meilleur-Giguere, just based on prior senior call ups and U-23 duty/callups. 

* could be in any order.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Based on minutes played and national team camp callups (both objective), as well as current/recent form (subjective), here is my best guess at what Herdman's ranking would be:

1. Vitoria
  2. Kennedy
  3. Johnston
  4. Henry
  5. Miller
  6. Sturing
  7. Cornelius
  8. *Ferreira
  9. *Waterman
  10. *Singh
  11. Didic
  12. James

I think everyone else is outside of the pool, but the next closest would probably be: Zator, Norman jr., Montgomery, and Meilleur-Giguere, just based on prior senior call ups and U-23 duty/callups. 

* could be in any order.

Pretty good I think, with the caveat that if we are playing with two centre backs Johnston likely drops off the list entirely

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

1. Vitoria
  2. Kennedy
  3. Johnston
  4. Henry
  5. Miller
  6. Sturing
  7. Cornelius
  8. *Ferreira
  9. *Waterman
  10. *Singh
  11. Didic
  12. James

* could be in any order.

Great list. Bassong may be on there as well. He's playing LCB for CF Montreal.

49 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Great list. Bassong may be on there as well. He's playing LCB for CF Montreal.

Considered adding him, but hasn't played there for the national team yet. Perhaps we see him there for Canada in the future.