Ranking our Central Defenders

In the last 3 years only 1 new CB has emerged to join our pool - Cornelius, and he is relatively unproven. It's unfortunate as we are churning out forwards and midfielders but can't develop any CBs.  Frankly there appears to be more talent in the pipelines for fullbacks. I get the feeling that Herdman will not be calling Vitoria Straith or Hainault.

36 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Cornelius has lots of potential, but before ranking him number one let’s see how he does in MLS, which is a higher level than he has previously played at.

I am pretty sure Henry will start ahead of Cornelius. So why should Cornelius start ahead of Henry on the national team?

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

In the last 3 years only 1 new CB has emerged to join our pool - Cornelius, and he is relatively unproven. It's unfortunate as we are churning out forwards and midfielders but can't develop any CBs.  Frankly there appears to be more talent in the pipelines for fullbacks. I get the feeling that Herdman will not be calling Vitoria Straith or Hainault.

Not going to pretend I know a lot about Montgomery, but the bits I read in his thread seem really promising so he may be another young CB we have going forward. 

Ye of little faith. This is the year of Henry. I mean last year and the several years before were too but I STILL BELIEVE!

Top four I'd call at the moment would be:

James

Henry

Cornelius 

Jakovic

Hope Montgomery gets some minutes this year and forces his way into our thinking. Interested to see more of the CPL guys. Wouldn't be surprised to see some token call ups from there, especially if we ever play a friendly again. 

Sure seems like Vitoria, Hainault and Straith have been written off by Herdman, he's not called any of them up ever.  Jakovic and more recently Edgar have been playing the veteran leader role under Herdman.

Hoping we get a more grounded and realistic starting lineup against French Guiana, as I'd really like to know if we are going 3 at the back or not.

54 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Sure seems like Vitoria, Hainault and Straith have been written off by Herdman, he's not called any of them up ever.  Jakovic and more recently Edgar have been playing the veteran leader role under Herdman.

Hoping we get a more grounded and realistic starting lineup against French Guiana, as I'd really like to know if we are going 3 at the back or not.

Vitoria has only played 8 league games this term, but his polish side is top of the table.

• 2 years later...

The central defender role is going to be the most competitive of all the positions on the senior team. Clearly not yet settled with two sets of starters for each of the WC qualifying games, a different set for the Olympic qualifying, and a number of candidates on the outside looking in. 

Let's bump this thread to discuss where we rank the current contenders:

Steven Vitoria - clearly Herdman's first choice; regular starter in Portugal top division

Kamal Miller - looking like they want Kamal to be the left-sided starter; will be starter at Montreal?

Ricardo Ferreira - could be number one on this list if he finds a club, gets regular playing time and stays injury free

Doneil Henry - no reason to think he's not still in the mix as a potential starter

Derek Cornelius - given prominent leadership role on U23 team and excelled; will battle for a starting role with the Whitecaps all season

Frank Sturing - given a start for the senior team in a WC qualifier, thinking that means they rate him highly; hopefully plays for a higher level team soon 

Scott Kennedy - missed out on this round due to injury? You have to think he's in the mix due to the level he's playing

Joel Waterman - more playing time in Montreal this season?

Callum Montgomery - can he stick in Minnesota and get MLS playing time?

Amer Didic - a top CPL-level central defender

Manjrekar James - clearly not in Herdman's plans but in the past showed promise, a comeback is always possible if he can find a full-time role somewhere

Julian Dunn - most promising young central defender in the mix; will he finally get playing time with Toronto? If so, how high on this list does he go?

David Norman - promising debut as a central defender at U23; will be a CPL starter

Manjrekar James Should be at the Gold Cup. For me this where he’s gonna shine and some MLS/More sable European option should pick him up if he plays well. He’s big, he’s doesn’t get hurt, he’s played in big games for Canada before and played well. 
this Gold Cup should be for the B team and for Canadian players who need to showcase their talent. 

5 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

The central defender role is going to be the most competitive of all the positions on the senior team. Clearly not yet settled with two sets of starters for each of the WC qualifying games, a different set for the Olympic qualifying, and a number of candidates on the outside looking in. 

Steven Vitoria - clearly Herdman's first choice; regular starter in Portugal top division

Kamal Miller - looking like they want Kamal to be the left-sided starter; will be starter at Montreal?

Ricardo Ferreira - could be number one on this list if he finds a club, gets regular playing time and stays injury free

Doneil Henry - no reason to think he's not still in the mix as a potential starter

Derek Cornelius - given prominent leadership role on U23 team and excelled; will battle for a starting role with the Whitecaps all season

Frank Sturing - given a start for the senior team in a WC qualifier, thinking that means they rate him highly; hopefully plays for a higher level team soon 

Scott Kennedy - missed out on this round due to injury? You have to think he's in the mix due to the level he's playing

Manjrekar James - clearly not in Herdman's plans but in the past showed promise, a comeback is always possible if he can find a full-time role somewhere

Julian Dunn - most promising young central defender in the mix; will he finally get playing time with Toronto? If so, how high on this list does he go?

David Norman - promising debut as a central defender at U23; will be a CPL starter

Thanks for the list, looks well done. We are solid in all positions, with actual real quality and depth but the CB position (one of the most vital positions) may make or break our chances at reaching Qatar.

Agreed that Vitoria is our current number one.

Let’s hope Kamal really blossoms into something we can count on regularly. Cornelius is in the same boat. They both need to impress consistently (and not just be average in the MLS). Luckily they are both pretty young for this position and I’m sure learning every day. Kennedy is indeed promising as well and James is somehow on the outside looking in (bit of a mystery). Ultimately, we have 4-5 guys that MAY reach the level we need them to reach and if 1-2 manage to do it, then we may be in good shape (albeit very thin in the depth department when it comes to real quality). Right now it’s indeed a work in progress.

For me, Ferreira has the most upside. Get this guy fit and playing regularly and we may have magically solved a lot of our problems with one international switch.

In my eyes, Sturing and the others are depth pieces with a little less promise but things could pan out (admittedly haven’t watched much of Dunn).

May be harsh, but I’d be more or less done with Henry if we stabilize our core with Vitoria, Ferreira, Miller, and Cornelius. With potentially Kennedy being in the mix. I know we don’t necessarily have the luxury to close doors in a position that we’re so thin at but I’d personally roll the dice on the others and give them a chance. He has more or less be very poor for the national team and I don’t think his upside outweighs the likelihood he costs us an important game with his decision making.

7 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

No love for Zator?

I see a group of five that will be called for the most important matchups.

I may be remiss to say this, but I had assumed Doneil Henry was considered the #1 amongst our CB group. I'd imagine up until this point that Doneil & Vitoria would be called upon for important games.

Ferreira could throw a wrench in that, and Cornelius is there as a change of pace/someone with plenty of room for growth.

Miller will frequently be called for his versatility at the back, serving as a CB but also as Adekugbe's backup at LB.

Beyond that: Waterman, Didic and Zator could fill in for an injury but I wouldn't suggest that they are the most exciting prospects.

If we are trying to get experimental or give players an opportunity in camp: DunnSturing and Kennedy all have some promise.

A sidenote: could Peter Schaale be eligible in the near future? He first moved to Cape Breton in 2016, so he should be approaching 5 years in Canada. Arguably the best defender in the CPL and still only 24.

16 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I see a group of five that will be called for the most important matchups.

I may be remiss to say this, but I had assumed Doneil Henry was considered the #1 amongst our CB group. I'd imagine up until this point that Doneil & Vitoria would be called upon for important games.

Ferreira could throw a wrench in that, and Cornelius is there as a change of pace/someone with plenty of room for growth.

Miller will frequently be called for his versatility at the back, serving as a CB but also as Adekugbe's backup at LB.

Beyond that: Waterman, Didic and Zator could fill in for an injury but I wouldn't suggest that they are the most exciting prospects.

If we are trying to get experimental or give players an opportunity in camp: DunnSturing and Kennedy all have some promise.

A sidenote: could Peter Schaale be eligible in the near future? He first moved to Cape Breton in 2016, so he should be approaching 5 years in Canada. Arguably the best defender in the CPL and still only 24.

If Kennedy keeps looking like he belongs in 2. Bundesliga (and he has so far imo) he should definitely be higher up.