Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

I don't think West Ham or Bilic would bring him in with the plan for him to be on the bench. My problem with the move is not that I don't think he would get playing time next year but that as he ages and slows down he will end up on the bench a lot earlier at West Ham than he would at Besiktas.

You guys seem to forget that players (and agents) start these transfer rumours to increase their wages.  Life is short, and he has always wanted to play in the EPL.  He won't do it without a wage increase, naturally, so he's fishing for money and then there are other fees involved.  If Bilic wants him, it'll get done.  

It's rare to find any soccer player anywhere who THINKs he will be on the bench all season, and with Europa league, there will be the need for an bigger team at WHU.  Then there are injuries and so on.  So he will certainly play, and he'll always believe that he can win a spot in the starting lineup...no player worth his salt thinks he'll play off the bench all season.

Also keep in mind that one would expect a few bright lights at WHU to get picked off by the bigger teams, notably Payet.  Does anyone think WHU can hold onto a talent like that when the big money comes calling (not that they play similar positions, but still)?  Hammers need to have some scenarios sorted out in various positions

Let's agree that our best player, and perhaps one of the best in North America at the moment, needs to be on the big stage and with the big money in the EPL.

8 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Let's agree that our best player, and perhaps one of the best in North America at the moment, needs to be on the big stage and with the big money in the EPL.

I think you made a good case as to why he might end up at WH, but to say he "needs to" be there implies that it's the best outcome for him/Canada in a footballing sense (money and audience aside) and that part is unclear to me at this point. 

I'm not trusting it one bit. What does Turkish media know especially when it's reported by English fans? If it was true, you'd name the Turkish media that reported this and we all know how Turkish and English media is. Just ask Unnamed Trialist.

12 hours ago, Ruud said:

It's rare to find any soccer player anywhere who THINKs he will be on the bench all season, and with Europa league, there will be the need for an bigger team at WHU.  Then there are injuries and so on.  So he will certainly play, and he'll always believe that he can win a spot in the starting lineup...no player worth his salt thinks he'll play off the bench all season.

Hutch has a great skill, but not necessarily as a CF.  May not be the best career move to wait in the wings until Andy Carroll gets injured again. 

Always been an interesting rumour but then the Turkish press have linked every Turkish player and their dog with West Ham since Bilic took over.  This one seems to have a lot more legs but still cautious of it. As has been said, Tore to West Ham has been a "done deal" for weeks now. 

If he comes, he won't start often in the Premier League but maybe in Europe where he has experience.  As a more defensive central midfielder, he would have to displace the captain Noble, Kouyate, new signing Nordtveit and Obiang if he sticks around (not to mention one of the young star of English football, Reece Oxford, who has played there as well.)  I see Hutchinson as an older version of Obiang, (who is 23) in style of play and Obiang did not get as many games as he would have liked, if the press is correct.

Bilic most often plays with two more withdrawn CMs and three attacking mids and a striker.  So Atiba would be one of 4 in those two places.  He could also provide some depth at right back but again Bilic wants an attacking player there and played a winger there for a lot the second half of the season.

Many players love Bilic, so maybe he is coming to be a backup/European player.  But I would not expect much more.  

(And remember, West Ham just moved into a new stadium, which they have filled with 50,000 season ticket holders and have a monster TV deal compared to the rest of Europe.  They are not hurting for money, if you think players are leaving that they don't want to.) 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

But remember that r/back was a huge hole once Jenkinson went down. Byram is not yet ready to fill the void and barely featured (though being cup-tied hurt his case). O'Brian is now gone. Antonio got skinned back there more than many would have liked, and I think his ability further forward is diminished at full back. A decent Euro run is going to require a deep squad, and if Atiba jumps then it's going to be as a r/back and utility mid.

Personally, I'm weary of Atiba going to West Ham. I like both of them too much and I want both to find success - but I'm wondering if Atiba missed his prime window. Also, I'd hate to see West Ham soured to yet another Canadian. Forrest, Bunbury and Henry didn't exactly win hearts and minds in East London.

More I think about this, more it makes little sense for Hutch to go to West Ham.

8 mil pounds for a 33 yr old is insane. Even 5 mil is nuts. Hutch is in good shape right now, but there is going to be a drop off in his athleticism as he gets older, esp if he plays FB when he'll be chasing fast EPL wingers. Normally 33 yr olds go on a free transfer or on cheap fee.

Hutch is a short term solution for West Ham that really should be building up more younger depth for the future.

42 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Hutch is a short term solution for West Ham that really should be building up more younger depth for the future.

They are building younger depth but they also recognize that you need senior players in their prime,  that is why they bought at 28 year old Payet.  He turned out alright for them.  West Ham almost have a full 11 of players under 23 who have played for the first team.

47 minutes ago, Yohan said:

More I think about this, more it makes little sense for Hutch to go to West Ham.

I agree and it could be paper talk but maybe Bilic thinks he needs him in Europe. ( I can't see him playing much in the Premier League at either position.)  

1 hour ago, Varsity Tyler said:

But remember that r/back was a huge hole once Jenkinson went down. Byram is not yet ready to fill the void and barely featured (though being cup-tied hurt his case). O'Brian is now gone. Antonio got skinned back there more than many would have liked, and I think his ability further forward is diminished at full back. A decent Euro run is going to require a deep squad, and if Atiba jumps then it's going to be as a r/back and utility mid.

Nordtveit can play some right back as well and I thought Tomkins did a very good, if not offensively dangerous, job.  Bilic liked Antonio there though, even later when he had other options.  Byram was supposed to come at this point and Everton forced our hand but he is more attacking as well. 

7 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

They are building younger depth but they also recognize that you need senior players in their prime,  that is why they bought at 28 year old Payet.  He turned out alright for them.  West Ham almost have a full 11 of players under 23 who have played for the first team.

If any of the pursuit of Bacca is true, then we might be willing to make run for Champions League with older players, while Payet is at his peak  and then build with that money and reputation.  (I can dream)  Which to me is only reason you go for Hutch if you are West Ham and why the rumours might have some truth to them.

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Payet is 28, not 33. Plus he's an exceptional talent and I never understood why he didn't get picked up by a bigger team while he was playing in France.

2 hours ago, Yohan said:

Payet is 28, not 33. Plus he's an exceptional talent and I never understood why he didn't get picked up by a bigger team while he was playing in France.

When he was at OM his form was pretty mixed; as is our usual tradition he wanted out and we lost him for peanuts.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I don't understand how one of the best players in the Turkish league can't make the starting 11 of West Ham.

The short answer is the Turkish League is well below the Premier League, where West Ham finished 7th.  Look at it this way he would have to be better than a Senegalese international, a Norwegian international and a player that many thought could have gone to the Euros this summer with England. 

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I think Kouyate is a better player and Noble is on par but is the captain and has been a senoir west ham player for over 10 years.  It would be extremely difficult to displace either. 

I like Hutchinson and would like to have him for Europe but that is a bit harsh on Noble, in my opinion, of course.

51 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The short answer is the Turkish League is well below the Premier League, where West Ham finished 7th.  Look at it this way he would have to be better than a Senegalese international, a Norwegian international and a player that many thought could have gone to the Euros this summer with England. 

I like Hutchinson and would like to have him for Europe but that is a bit harsh on Noble, in my opinion, of course.

The Turkish League is well below the Premier League but is Besiktas well below West Ham?  I'd say no, probably around the same calibre of team with internationals from Germany, Turkey, Portugal, Austria, Serbia, Ukraine and Argentina.  

I know some disagree but I'm confident Hutchinson would win a starting spot somewhere on the pitch.  Having watched him at Besiktas against bigger clubs like Tottenham and Arsenal he is quality.  

29 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The Turkish League is well below the Premier League but is Besiktas well below West Ham?  I'd say no, probably around the same calibre of team with internationals from Germany, Turkey, Portugal, Austria, Serbia, Ukraine and Argentina.  

I know some disagree but I'm confident Hutchinson would win a starting spot somewhere on the pitch.  Having watched him at Besiktas against bigger clubs like Tottenham and Arsenal he is quality.  

Besiktas is better than West Ham. the BPL is one of the most competitive league in the world but its not the best.

Edited by Guest

On the pitch, I believe Hutchinson could win a starting XI spot at West Ham. He is a very good, smart player who managers seem to really appreciate. 

That being said, the fact that it says "33" beside his name instead of, say, "25" I think will hurt his chances. Even if his performances are excellent, he wouldn't be "the future" of West Ham.

Stay at Besiktas Hutch! You'll be competing against teams much better than West Ham in the Champions League anyway ;)

At the Euros, Bilic has come out and said he wants him (along with Tore) 

"I want one transfer for both. More than one thing has to happen for this deal. When a club wants a player it depends on how much [Besiktas] want to sell a player and how much they are asking.

"There is a lot written in the Turkish press that is untrue. But I know them [Tore and Hutchinson], I spent two years with them."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/10312360/slaven-bilic-confirms-he-wants-to-sign-atiba-hutchinson-and-gokhan-tore-for-west-ham