January 2015 Transfer Talk

Most likely, Toronto doesn't want give out more gifts by trading away their young DP's to  MLS rivals like Montreal.   TFC got burn twice already (Urruti and Laba) so they have learned their lesson and sold Gilberto overseas to get some money (both real and allocation) from transfer.   

TFC has yet to show that they learn from their mistakes.  It feels like half of MLS has been through TFC's revolving door, and while not all of those players perform well at their new teams - they generally do well enough to score against us. 

Once again TFC has a talented player that suddenly needs to get off their books.  LIke with Laba, it looks like a firesale to any bidder is in the making.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup... But Jacob Peterson man... He's an excellent MLS player... 

Sorry, I don't buy it. There are tons of MLS players that make around Issey's wage (110k) who were not as creative or as efficient or any better at all. Look at that Rapids roster. 

LaBrocca - 135k

Mwanga - 130k

Sturgis - 115k

I would rate Issey equal any of those guys, if not better. The examples around the league are all over the place. At the end of the day, MLS teams, like yourself, chose not to rate those skills or felt they didn't fit. 

One could debate the merits of those players versus Issey but I am not saying Issey was not able to play at MLS level or contribute anything to a team. I am sure one could find a number of MLS players of mediocre ability around Issey's salary level. At same time if the players you mention were cut from their team I doubt many people would be saying it was because MLS did not appreciate their skills. And Montreal was Issey's 10th team in a pro-career of 11 years so there must be an awful lot of other teams/leagues that did not appreciate his skill. For sure the shameful MLS regulations concerning Canadians contributed to Issey's departure as probably there were not any American teams willing to spend an international spot on him which reduces his value but also says something about his valuation. I like everyone here hoped Issey would do well and I did not mind his play when he was on the pitch. On the other hand I am trying to think of one time where his play directly led to a goal and I can not think of one. Mostly it was a lot of flash but little substance with some serious deficiencies particularly defensively (kind of similar to Felipe who we also got rid of). And in most game situations if I were coach and needed to go to the bench for a left winger I would choose Tissot over Issey 8 or 9 times out of 10 so he was definitely expendable.

Here's confirmation from Tranmere Rovers that it is a 6-month contract:

http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/article/iain-hume-returns-to-tranmere-2233790.aspx

I like the the bit at the end about sponsoring him.

Not exactly the highest level ... was hoping for League 1.  But I'll take it!  Hopefully he can score and at least stay fit if we need him for the WCQs in June or the GC.

Nothing wrong with going back to his first professional club for what is essentially a six-month conditioning stint.

Nah, this is his level now.  The question is more whether he'd be willing to drop further next year if there are no takers, or if he'll just retire.

In the UK when you sponsor a player you get your name or business in the programme where they list the player squad photos. So you can promote your business or just get to see your name in print

I was part of a fanclub that sponsored Josh Simpson when he was with Millwall.  For $250 (or something like that), the fanclub got their name in the program and got a meet and greet with Josh.  They gave me the Millwall jersey he signed.  It's really worthwhile and pretty neat.

Apparently this article says De Jong's dream is to play in MLS

http://www.elfvoetbal.nl/nieuws/398945_avonturier-de-jong-gaat-op-zoek-naar-nieuwe-uitdaging

In Reddit fans of American teams are wanting him also.

Would love to see De Jong in MLS, especially on an American team.  Would be nice to have a successful Canadian "homecoming" story but even better if he takes up an international spot in the States where pressure won't be as high. 

I was part of a fanclub that sponsored Josh Simpson when he was with Millwall. For $250 (or something like that), the fanclub got their name in the program and got a meet and greet with Josh. They gave me the Millwall jersey he signed. It's really worthwhile and pretty neat.

Ahh sweet! Pretty cool that you got to meet him and the jersey

Archived