January 2015 Transfer Talk

A relegation threatened 2nd-division club in Austria?  How can he not do better than that?

It is a big club that has a long history of playing in the top tier Bundesliga and is only one point out of the non-relegation zone. Innsbruck is also a pretty big city by Austrian standards. I think this would be a great place for him to sign with some good potential to move to the 1st Austrian Bundesliga in the future. This is their stadium: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/Spain_vs_Sweden%2C_Euro_2008_01.jpg/220px-Spain_vs_Sweden%2C_Euro_2008_01.jpg

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a big club that has had a tough go. Similar to Ledgerwood playing for Hammarby. Grizz, did you do any digging to find out why they've been struggling?

I think it's a good move for Straith. He's still pretty young so there's time to show well, maybe get picked up by a bigger fish in the top tier, then who knows?

As for Attakora - thank god he found a club. Happy to hear some of these guys are leaving unattached FC.

It is a big club that has a long history of playing in the top tier Bundesliga and is only one point out of the non-relegation zone. Innsbruck is also a pretty big city by Austrian standards. I think this would be a great place for him to sign with some good potential to move to the 1st Austrian Bundesliga in the future. This is their stadium: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/Spain_vs_Sweden%2C_Euro_2008_01.jpg/220px-Spain_vs_Sweden%2C_Euro_2008_01.jpg

Between him and Monsalve our guys seem to like going to clubs that were once big. Still don't like this move. I refuse to believe second divison Austria is better than MLS.

Between him and Monsalve our guys seem to like going to clubs that were once big. Still don't like this move. I refuse to believe second divison Austria is better than MLS.

No the level is weaker and that's the point, it likely means more PT for him and possible starting spot. And surely more money than he was being offered in MLS (league min. probably)

I don't know what the D2 pays in Austria but their first div isn't bad. 19th out of the top 20 (no mls didn't make the list)

19. Austrian Football Bundesliga (Austria)
Average weekly wage = £3,421

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/11/14/top-20-leagues-in-world-football-based-on-average-player-wages-englands-43717-bpl-way-ahead-of-la-liga/10/

I'm just glad that our guys are finding paid employment. Being part of Unattached FC  has to be demoralizing as well as hard on the pocket book.

Obviously not as good as MLS but the pay for an average player is better and there is more opportunity to get signed by a better league in Europe. MLS if you don't pan out is a dead end and he'd be stuck looking for NASL clubs like Nana. 

You know, one step back to take two steps forward. 

Sounds like a big club that has had a tough go. Similar to Ledgerwood playing for Hammarby. Grizz, did you do any digging to find out why they've been struggling?

I think it's a good move for Straith. He's still pretty young so there's time to show well, maybe get picked up by a bigger fish in the top tier, then who knows?

As for Attakora - thank god he found a club. Happy to hear some of these guys are leaving unattached FC.

The club has had financial problems. It is an old tradition club but has gone bankrupt, ceased operations and been refounded twice. Don't know why it has financial problems as Innsbruck is the 5th largest city in Austria and a fairly wealthy one at that but possibly winter sports are more popular there due to its location. Still a great opportunity for Straith as if they can save this season and not get relegated they have potential to return to the 1st Bundesliga again (where they played last year) and even if not he has the opportunity to impress other teams in Austria where it is much easier to go up through the tiers/better teams than in Germany. I used to know a couple of former 1st Bundesliga players in Germany who ended up in the 3rd division for various reasons and they were transferring to Austria/Switzerland and Portugal because they said once you get in the lower divisions in Germany it is hard to move up because you get labeled and if you ever want to play back in the higher divisions of Germany again you need to impress in another country's top division (unless you get lucky enough to sign with a team that is promoting).

Wonder why then the Central Americans who are kicking our ass aren't jumping at the chance to make it to 2nd divison Austria.

Given the fact Straith was struggling for playing time in the German 3. Liga, released, and has been without a club for so long, this seems like a reasonable spot for him to land. It's Europe and a club with top division pedigree (though, as Grizzly explained, going through some tough times).

As for the comparison to our Central American rivals, look at Honduras' last roster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honduras_national_football_team#Current_squad

Almost half their squad was domestic players. The rest was made up of a handful of MLS players, 1 in Mexico, 2 in Scotland, 1 in the English Championship, 1 in Ecuador, 1 in Belgium and 1 from our very own Unattached FC.  The thing that most stands out to me there is the benefit of their domestic league. That's probably what hurts us the most. 

Given the fact Straith was struggling for playing time in the German 3. Liga, released, and has been without a club for so long, this seems like a reasonable spot for him to land. It's Europe and a club with top division pedigree (though, as Grizzly explained, going through some tough times).

As for the comparison to our Central American rivals, look at Honduras' last roster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honduras_national_football_team#Current_squad

Almost half their squad was domestic players. The rest was made up of a handful of MLS players, 1 in Mexico, 2 in Scotland, 1 in the English Championship, 1 in Ecuador, 1 in Belgium and 1 from our very own Unattached FC.  The thing that most stands out to me there is the benefit of their domestic league. That's probably what hurts us the most. 

I won't ever feel for Straith because TFC and Montreal wanted him and he chose not to sign because he wanted more in his contract. No club ball in 8 months means this guy should be jumping at whatever oppurtunity is thrown at him. I also doubt both teams lowballed him. He hasn't earned anything.

I won't ever feel for Straith because TFC and Montreal wanted him and he chose not to sign because he wanted more in his contract. No club ball in 8 months means this guy should be jumping at whatever oppurtunity is thrown at him. I also doubt both teams lowballed him. He hasn't earned anything.

I doubt that it was about being lowballed. I'm probably sure that it was more because they couldn't guarantee him a contract. I would love to sign a contract and being cut in mid-April and done in MLS. If you tell me that MLS contracts are so great, please tell me. I've read Bobby Warshaw's piece on the MLSPU and Straith would fit the player who could be cut in the first half of his contract and having to wait until June to find a new club.

@BB - Dissagree. Straith is making the right choice here. He can be a 90 minute player and perhaps earn a better salary. In MLS he would likey play less and earn less. Where is the benefit in that? He also gets exposure to the Austrian top tier, and from there the opportunites will really open up if he does well

Bingo.  There's a reason why we got a lot of key Canadian players are clubless.   

There's no where for Canadians to play and develop while making wages good enough that you don't need second job.   Lack of domestic league is hurting Canadian pool than anything else.   

You think these Central American leagues are "world class"?  Outside of few clubs, a lot of these central american clubs are NASL/USL Pro level.   So we don't exactly need "world class" league here.   Hopefully MLS steps up domestic rules by making Canadians domestic for US clubs so they will have more options in MLS if there isn't domestic league.    

1860 are just outside the last relegation spot on GD. Apparently a bit of a shit-show as well:

http://www.espnfc.com/club/tsv-1860-munich/135/blog/post/2200590/german-cameras-are-capturing-1860-munichs-implosion-from-within

Well, Bobby Wood is obviously not getting along with his manager, so maybe the U.S. is a little biased, but I thought Agudelo was also being linked with them. I find this odd because I would think JK would tell him not to go there (maybe he has no other options?).

1860 is a cult club with a large fan base and a lot of potential. Like Straith with Innsbruck this is exactly the type of teams that our out of contract or sitting on the bench players should be signing with, ie. big clubs with potential but having a tough season.

1860 is a cult club with a large fan base and a lot of potential. Like Straith with Innsbruck this is exactly the type of teams that our out of contract or sitting on the bench players should be signing with, ie. big clubs with potential but having a tough season.

There has been no indication that 1860 will get out of their rut in the near-future.

Well if it gives him minutes it's a good move. Expected him to move lower tbh.would love to have him back in the mls. Whitecaps could use him.

Move lower than a 2. Bundesliga club battling relegation? You expected him to go from 1Bundesliga to the 3 bundesliga? After being a starter on a mid table eredivisie club. 

I think this is a good move for him if he gets playing time. I'd love to see him back in the eredivisie though. 

There has been no indication that 1860 will get out of their rut in the near-future.

One indication is they are upgrading certain positions by signing players like De Jong (if it happens). You do know that when you are a player who is out of contract, stuck on the bench or removed for your squad you are not likely to sign with Bayern Munchen or Real Madrid or get a great offer from MLS? You bitch at every prospective club our players who are not playing are linked to like they have tons of other options. These guys need to go where they can play and most of the time that is going to be clubs that have problems. If De Jong is worried about ending up in the 3rd Bundesliga with 1860 he can put a relegation clause in his contract but being a started in the 3rd division would even be better than what he has been doing the last couple of years, watching 1st Bundesliga games from the sidelines.

One indication is they are upgrading certain positions by signing players like De Jong (if it happens). You do know that when you are a player who is out of contract, stuck on the bench or removed for your squad you are not likely to sign with Bayern Munchen or Real Madrid or get a great offer from MLS? You bitch at every prospective club our players who are not playing are linked to like they have tons of other options. These guys need to go where they can play and most of the time that is going to be clubs that have problems. If De Jong is worried about ending up in the 3rd Bundesliga with 1860 he can put a relegation clause in his contract but being a started in the 3rd division would even be better than what he has been doing the last couple of years, watching 1st Bundesliga games from the sidelines.

1860 have been a mess for a while. They don't own their stadium and their management has been crap for years. I bitch because I'm pretty sure a guy like De Jong can play for a better 2. Bundesliga club than 1860 Munich. But you are right. I should settle for the mediocrity many of our players have been striving for lately.

1860 have been a mess for a while. They don't own their stadium and their management has been crap for years. I bitch because I'm pretty sure a guy like De Jong can play for a better 2. Bundesliga club than 1860 Munich. But you are right. I should settle for the mediocrity many of our players have been striving for lately.

Playing for a mediocre team is a lot better than sitting on the bench for a good team or being out of contract both from the perspective of the player and our national team.

QFT!

BB, if De Jong could play for a better team than 1860, he would  have signed for them. It's all about market value, since he's been on the bench for over a year at Augsburg, he has the value of a wingback for a lower table 2.Bundesliga team. This fallacy your preaching about striving for mediocrity is completely ass-backwards as a lot of these players are doing what they can to get their careers back on track or escaping the mediocre situations they have (rightfully or unrightfully so) came upon. Just look at Straith, he was starting games for a competitive Cottbus team as a 19-20 year old, hardly settling 

Archived