Anthony Jackson-Hamel

Dub Narcotic

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact announced on Friday that Impact U23 forward Anthony Jackson-Hamel signed a professional contract with the first team as a Homegrown player. As per MLS policy, details of the contract were not disclosed.

Jackson-Hamel, who will be 21 on Sunday, has scored four goals in six PDL games this season with the Impact U23s, while scoring three goals in four starts in the MLS Reserve League in 2014 - a hat trick against the New York Red Bulls.

Originally from Quebec City, Jackson-Hamel joined the Impact Academy in 2010, playing for the U21s before the team entered the PDL and evolved into the U23 side. He most notably helped the Impact U21s reach the final of the CSL in 2012.

At the international level, Jackson-Hamel played two games with the U20 Canadian men’s national team during the 2013 U20 CONCACAF Championships, in Mexico.

As a result of his signing, he becomes the seventh Academy product to sign a pro deal in MLS, alongside defenders Karl W. Ouimette, Maxim Tissot and Wandrille Lefèvre, goalkeeper Maxime Crépeau, as well as midfielders Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé and Zakaria Messoudi.

#24 ANTHONY JACKSON-HAMEL
Position: Forward
Height: 6’1
Weight: 180 lbs
Date of birth: August 3, 1993, Quebec City, Quebec
Place of residence: Montreal, Quebec
Former team: Impact U23
Acquired: August 1, 2014

Looked very good tonight in his debut and almost scored. Need to see whether he can finish but very promising movement, ability to pass and get his head on balls. I am disappointed though not surprised Gonzalez did not work out but it is nice to see that a striker from our academy seems to be far better than a guy who spent 3 months as a striker in the Uruguay 1st division.

Edited by Grizzly

Not to get too excited but he looked really promising during the last half an hour. He's not different from a French footballer, very athletic, fast, good control, technical ability and great upper body strength. He should be the blue print for the kind of players Canada needs to develop going forward. The GTA is full of young soccer players exactly like him. We need TFC to start graduating players like him onto their first team on a regular basis, at least 2-3 players a year. If we can develop 15 more players in his mold throughout the next 5-7 years, we'll surpass the USA and their lame suburban, college boy style soccer.

Edited by Macksam

• 11 months later...

He's been getting fairly regular time recently and got picked for the Homegrown showcase at the All-Star game. Hasn't done anything spectacular recently but worth a mention as he doesn't get talked about much here.

One thing I really like about him is his link up play. Seems to always find a way to set up Piatti, Jack Mac and other when getting the ball.

Missed the shooout penalty that lost the Chipotle Homegrown Showcase for the MLS team against Club America U-20. I hope he can recover from this devastation.

Devastation... Easy bruv, it was an exhibition lol

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

• 1 month later...

I'm going to write about him because there's something new. According to TVA Sports, Jackson-Hamel won't be on the Canada U-23 team and he's considering to use his one-time switch to play for the Dominican Republic.

That's unfortunate. I really like him. But if Canada isn't going to give him a shot....He should be on the U23 side.

I'm going to write about him because there's something new. According to TVA Sports, Jackson-Hamel won't be on the Canada U-23 team and he's considering to use his one-time switch to play for the Dominican Republic.

That is sad. From what I've seen he's got serious potential upside. I hope he is just saying this to get some attention (deserved IMHO) from the national team coaches.

:rolleyes:

Does he realize he's on Montreal because he's Canadian?  Maybe score a league goal first buddy because if you don't you're just going to be a 22 year old Dominican with zero league goals and expendable to Canadian clubs.  Next stop will be USL Pro.

Does Dominican even qualify for the Caribbean Cup?  Foolish.  Not to mention he was with our U20 team just 2 years ago and we are extremely deep with this team.  Put your head down and work.. what's with all these prima donnas we have in Canada it's draining.  If only Bryan Cristante and Scott Arfield would just as easily switch to us LOL.  

Edited by Keegan

I'm also surprised he isn't in consideration for the U-23 side.

One would assume that Larin would be ahead of AJH on the depth chart, but I think he falls in the group behind Larin with Hamilton, Fisk, Clarke and Ferguson. Perhaps Hamilton and Clarke are ahead of him based on their history with the youth teams?

I like AJH and think he has great potential but I wouldn't call him over Larin, Fisk, Ferguson, Clarke or Hamilton.  He's had a few decent cameos but what has he done to deserve a spot on this team?

Some of the players above haven't done much either but they still have the edge IMO due to past performances/experience.  

Ok, I'll rewrite what I said.

Vincent Destouches talked about Anthony Jackson-Hamel who isn't being scouted in terms of long-term projects and in talking with the CSA brass and youth teams and that the CSA should take its precautions because Jackson-Hamel can still play for the Dominican Republic.

Got to agree with you Keegan - generation ME is how I interpret it as. I find it to be a hasty decision but oh well, good luck to him if that's what he wants to do. I don't think it's cool to be doing this as a intimidation tactic. Playing chicken with CSA is not a wise decision since CSA doesn't know how to play that game in the first place and he'll probably be in Santo Domingo with pen to paper saying "I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it!!! Hellooooooo??? Ah damn it... Soy Dominicano!" And who does he think he is? He's not JdG2 :P seriously he should not get his knickers all tied up, stay calm and play on. His time will come.

So, in summary, AJH is NOT actually threatening to go play for the Dominican Republic. Rather it was a comment made by an analyst saying maybe the CSA should consider AJH because he is still eligible for the Dominican Republic? Assuming I understand Blackdude's latest post, let's begin the overreaction then....

So, in summary, AJH is NOT actually threatening to go play for the Dominican Republic. Rather it was a comment made by an analyst saying maybe the CSA should consider AJH because he is still eligible for the Dominican Republic? Assuming I understand Blackdude's latest post, let's begin the overreaction then....

yup!

Blackdude wasn't clear but I also believe this is what he is trying to say.

I really like this player and I believe he will play with us sooner or later. If there's a prelimanary roster for U-23 squad i'd like to see him on it. His competition would be Hamilton and Clarke because Larin will either be the number 1 or he'll be left off for CMNT duty.

Regardless of whether or not he makes this team, I think he has potential to be a depth player for the senior team and after that, who knows? He gets to learn from Drogba for the next few seasons and that's huge.

If that's the case I take back my previous comment and like to say instead this analyst is a joke. And if I were AJH I wouldn't appreciate the gesture. "Dude WTF shut TFU tabarnak!" It's like an analyst saying JDG2 (without the Dutch option) is still eligible to play for the Philippines. Two things with that is 1 AJH is not at the level of Whoregreaves, Bangabitch, or JDG2 and 2 who wants to play international footy for Dominican? Think getting to WC with Canada is hard? Don't think it's any easier there with way less funding.