Anthony Jackson-Hamel

Dub Narcotic

Great goals. He seems like he's going to have a Jordan Hamilton like run of form. However, thankfully, he doesn't face as much competition up front so consistently staying in the rotation should be easy for him.

On a different note, what is up with Philadelphia's attendance? Philly has a lot of sports options but the 76ers suck, the Flyers didn't make the playoffs, the Eagles aren't playing and the Phillies are mediocre. Am I missing something? Has the team just been mismanaged since coming into the league?

Yeah, they're in Chester, a "shit hole" according to the locals. But I'd say the attendance has more to do with the fact they're dead last in the standings after looking like they might be a decent team last year. However, the management didnt recruit properly in the offseason, and now they suck, again. Reminds me a little bit of the first years of TFC (obv, not on the same level). Their supporters are pretty loyal, but there's a limit to everything. 

The Union's owner is close-to-insolvent, essentially, and, yes, the team has been really bad for the most part. It's too bad, good fans despite a lot of competition in that market and a beautiful iconic stadium. I hope they can turn it around, I would rather see them succeed than the Revolution or Crew.

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

Go watch Sons of Ben on Netflix. There's such a passion for soccer in Philly getting 90%-100% attendance for the first couple of years. Ownership has just screwed them sideways and there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel.

MLSE style rediculous price increase screwing?

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have had the pleasure of attending a union game in chester. The stadium is like a beautiful diamond sitting in a pile of dog shit. 

Well not a bad idea for the owners to buy cheap land and regentrify the neighborhood- does have a nice backdrop. 

15 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

that was essentially the idea. But as history tells us over and over, a stadium doesn't suddenly make any crap neighborhood desirable.

Yes. A baseball stadium, maybe. But not a stadium with 20 event dates a year, mostly on weekends.

36 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

that was essentially the idea. But as history tells us over and over, a stadium doesn't suddenly make any crap neighborhood desirable.

There was an effort to develop the surrounding area of the stadium but that got shelved after the 2008 financial crisis.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have had the pleasure of attending a union game in chester. The stadium is like a beautiful diamond sitting in a pile of dog shit. 

5 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Well not a bad idea for the owners to buy cheap land and regentrify the neighborhood- does have a nice backdrop. 

The area could be nice because it is a beautiful setting on the river and the stadium is indeed quite nice better than either BMO or Stade Saputo. Chester is in really bad shape though and the area around the stadium is a slum and quite dangerous. Chester ranked 2nd in the US for highest murder rate and 12th for most dangerous city this year. There is not much chance of gentrification unless they raze the city and move the inhabitants out. They could, however, possibly improve thei lives of Chester residents by employing some locals but that does not seem to be a priority. I spoke to a lot of the stadium workers and did not meet one who actually lived in Chester not even the African Americans.

What I found particularly bad was that there were sorority girls working the concessions for no wages other than a donation to their sorority and that this is a regular practice there. I ordered some food before the game and the girl apologized in advance that it might take long because they were sorority girls and had never worked serving food before and I was one of their first customers. So basically instead of employing locals they are letting sorority girls prepare and serve food for donations to their sorority. The food and the service was fine I am not complaining about that but it just seems wrong that in a stadium in an area with poor unemployed people they are using unpaid labour and donating money to sororities (whose members are usually wealthy people). It seemed to be a regular thing also, the girl told me their sorority does this every game but they were inexperienced since they rotate different girls from their sorority and this group had never worked a game before.

Attendance was announced as 15107 but that was either inflated or includes people who bought tickets but did not show because of the rain. There was about half of that number actually in the stadium. I have been to other games there in previous years where the stadium was pretty full so not sure if the attendance is regularly so poor or that was just due to poor weather and a poor team this year.

There may be some nicer areas, obviously seeing what the city looks like does not inspire one to explore it and it is actually a very historic city and one of the oldest cities in the US which makes its present state even more sad. This is the area near the train station which seems to be downtown

Chester_PA_502-510_Ave_of_the_States.JPG

And that is the nice part of what I have seen of Chester, around the stadium it looks more like this:

6092007078_c1af37efb2_b.jpg

54 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

They could, however, possibly improve thei lives of Chester residents by employing some locals but that does not seem to be a priority. I spoke to a lot of the stadium workers and did not meet one who actually lived in Chester not even the African Americans.

What I found particularly bad was that there were sorority girls working the concessions for no wages other than a donation to their sorority and that this is a regular practice there. 

Say whaaat!? Sorority girls??? When's the next Union home game lol. Just kidding.

That is ridiculous that locals from the area don't benefit from this. Cheap labour. Gotta love pushing profit margins. Just the sign of the times. 

45 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

There may be some nicer areas, obviously seeing what the city looks like does not inspire one to explore it and it is actually a very historic city and one of the oldest cities in the US which makes its present state even more sad. This is the area near the train station which seems to be downtown

Chester_PA_502-510_Ave_of_the_States.JPG

And that is the nice part of what I have seen of Chester, around the stadium it looks more like this:

6092007078_c1af37efb2_b.jpg

Looks like it has some potential. I can see developers salavating. 

Having been to Philadelphia a few times I will say that it's not just Chester that looks like this. Large parts of Philadelphia itself are blighted as well, although there has been some improvement in the last ten or so years. In addition, right across the river from Philly is Camden N.J., also a regular visitor to '50 Worst Places in the U.S.' lists.