Kianz Froese

But that's not what JDG does at this point in his career. Julian is the defensive mid combining with the backline and the 2 CAM's. Piette is being groomed to take over that role and offers more defensively than JDG does. Froese offers more and should be played in a more advanced role, be it on the wing or in the middle.

Ya, this was my thinking as well.

He's actually been up and down this year at both levels, not unexpected for a nineteen year old. Great goal yesterday, however.

The goal really did wonders for him and boosted his confidence for the remainder of the game. He showed a lot of composer and poise....especially under pressure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Insight into how the Whitecaps see Froese's future position: http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/02/23/news-and-notes-caps-prepare-portland

Speaking of central midfielders, Robinson had this to say about Kianz Froese:

“Kianz is probably the best number eight we have at the club. In relation to an 8 as a box-to-box midfield player like an Aaron Ramsey, the modern day type of player. Deybi Flores can be that, not just a natural six like Matias Laba. Part of the reason we traded Koffie is because I wanted a box-to-box midfield player and Kianz fits in there.”

Last year, Froese was primarily used as a winger. But based on those comments, don’t be surprised to see more of him in central midfield in 2016.

And don’t be surprised to see him there on Wednesday night with Laba and Flores both away.

“I said he needed to get fitter,” Robinson said of Froese. “He’s come back super fit. I think he can get box to box and score goals.”

9 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

I agree with Robbo. Froese doesn't have the speed/ moves to be a winger.

Come on. Robbo is praising the player and speaking of his strengths, while you're cutting him down for what he supposedly lacks. We can be so negative on these boards.

In my opinion, Kianz is a powerful runner even with the ball at his feet. He's good in the tackle and is effective at transitioning to attack as soon as possession is won. I think he could make a fine winger, but his strengths make him more valuable as a box to box mid, which is a difficult position to play.

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

Come on. Robbo is praising the player and speaking of his strengths, while you're cutting him down for what he supposedly lacks. We can be so negative on these boards.

In my opinion, Kianz is a powerful runner even with the ball at his feet. He's good in the tackle and is effective at transitioning to attack as soon as possession is won. I think he could make a fine winger, but his strengths make him more valuable as a box to box mid, which is a difficult position to play.

Watching the Canadian- U.S game, he doesn't take on opponents on the wing. A trait you need. I agree he can be a good powerful box to box CM.

2 hours ago, C2SKI said:

He can also shoot from distance. A trait of his that people sometimes overlook.

26 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Playing more centrally comes with greater responsibilities than on the wing. I read it as a compliment. 

It was a compliment for sure.  Kianz is a rare player that can play across midfield, but when you have a player like that you tend to want them in the middle.  Maybe he isn't a flashy dribbler but to play as a box-to-box midfield you definitely need some speed.  

49 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Am I wrong?

In some ways. I don't think you were agreeing with Robbo, I think you were making your own assumptions. I’ve never heard Robbo say that Froese couldn’t or wouldn’t play on the wing. He simply said that Kianz was the best number 8 on the roster, and that he had many of the necessary tools to play that position.

In saying that Kianz can’t/won’t take on a player? Yes. Only Manneh, Rivero, and Techera averaged more successful dribbles for Vancouver last season. Many of those came from a wide position.

In saying that a wide midfielder must always have the ability to take on opponents? Somewhat. See Beckham, or even Giggs in his later years.

With your approach to support? Choosing to harp on the negatives before acknowledging positives. I think so, but that’s just my opinion.

37 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

No, you're completely right.  It might be worth mentioning that he's a terrible keeper as well.

You can also conclude from the article that because he's an ideal box-to-box player that he's not a world class water skier or an expert seamstress.

Wrong, he's at least a passable water skier. I'm not sure his seamstressing abilities. 

The only thing I find troubling is that the idea of a box-to-box midfielder is more and more outdated: you are supposed to get that kind of performance out of a  well-positioned team. How many guys really play like this anymore? Sure, he mentions Ramsey, another Welshman, the day before he is one of the worst players on the pitch for his club. 

What is box-to-box anyways? Okay, I guess he means he wants him to be there in the a double pivot at the back witih Laba, and then, while not failing his defensive duties, he is supposed to follow the play forward and get chances on goal. He'll last about 55 minutes playing like that, he'll be exhausted, and on top of it he'll be blamed for neglecting the defence going forwards.

And Robbo will go back to the old system where you forget about a box-to-box and just put attackers up high, who you are supposed to pass to. Which makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. 

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The only thing I find troubling is that the idea of a box-to-box midfielder is more and more outdated: you are supposed to get that kind of performance out of a  well-positioned team. How many guys really play like this anymore? Sure, he mentions Ramsey, another Welshman, the day before he is one of the worst players on the pitch for his club. 

What is box-to-box anyways? Okay, I guess he means he wants him to be there in the a double pivot at the back witih Laba, and then, while not failing his defensive duties, he is supposed to follow the play forward and get chances on goal. He'll last about 55 minutes playing like that, he'll be exhausted, and on top of it he'll be blamed for neglecting the defence going forwards.

And Robbo will go back to the old system where you forget about a box-to-box and just put attackers up high, who you are supposed to pass to. Which makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. 

Vidal and Marchisio are box-to-box midfielders.

His play against NYRB was great. The timing for the intercept, accurate one time to his forward, follow up and receive the return pass then finish. I still think his diagonal run that didn't result in a goal was his best (I forget who it was against). He went 50 yards from the right side of the field to the left of the goal without losing possession. He can dribble and shield the ball. For those who say he doesn't have the moves just keep in mind it isn't the number of moves you have in your repertoire it is the number you have mastered. It is better to be a master at a handful than average a dozens.

In that vein I give you the basic "stop and go"   :)

Edited by TRM

Played 90 minutes in that "box-to-box" midfield role for the Caps in a pre-season game vs Portland tonite. Looked very composed and solid. Seems like he is made for this position.

Don't kill me for this but I see a little Atiba Hutchinson in him: he's got great balance and control in the middle of the field, he's very difficult to knock off the ball and he's capable of sending a great through-ball to the forwards from anywhere on the field.

Every coach wants a box-to-box player. One that understands the importance of defense first and is able to set-up the attack and even score sometimes. However as U T says, it's barely possible. Looking for a kind of superman out there with gigantic lungs plus the technical abilities and piece of mind after running semi-marathons to make the right decisions.

However it must be good for a young player to get bigged-up by your coach like that.