Kianz Froese

Let me tell you one thing: those guys suck at table football! My 3 yr old son plays better than these amateurs..

The interview isn't really revealing or anything, it's a couple of schoolpaper questions (name 3 exports from Canada (hockey) and Cuba (music), that's the level. And he doesn't say too much either, too bad. 

I can never understand why Germans don't use subtitles, it's probably why they suck at English. 

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

I can never understand why Germans don't use subtitles, it's probably why they suck at English

Germans suck at English? Throughout my European travels, they were amongst the best I came across. Miles better than the French, Spanish, Portuguese or Italians. I'd put them in the same boat as the Austrians and Dutch.

Just now, masster said:

Germans suck at English? Throughout my European travels, they were amongst the best I came across. Miles better than the French, Spanish, Portuguese or Italians. I'd put them in the same boat as the Austrians and Dutch.

The Dutch are more fluent on average I think but the German's are really good! Especially those under 35. They don't suck at English at all!

7 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I can go a long way in saying that the younger Germans are better in English than the older. Even in France younger people tend to understand English, 15 years ago it was horrible. But still...

First time I went to Europe was 12 years ago and I everyone I met spoke good English. Even in Serbia, I met a lot of people who spoke good English. 

My typical European experience when having a conversation included me asking "do you speak English" in the various language, followed by the person saying "a little", and then speaking very well. This was my experience everywhere in Europe (France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Switzerland) outside of the Netherlands, where IIRC everyone speaks English.

For me, living here and travelling in Europe, the Danes speak the best of non-natives. The Dutch have that irritating Dutch accent, and then saying yup all the time (seriously, very good). Germans are not as consistent, I think because a lot of Germany never sees tourists or has to speak English, I've had cabbies in Berlin who had poor English. 

In Spain the level amongst the young has improved radically in the last 5 years even. 

Funny, just when we are in the midst of Brexit and the EU will have only one nation of a few million speaking English officially.

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

As a hockey fan what always amazed me was how well Swedes picked up English, guys like Henrik Lundqvist and Niklas Lidstrom have no real non-english accent when they speak it. They almost sound American or Canadian when they speak English.

Yeah, guys like Naslund and Alfredson sound very Canadian. Not 100% as you can tell there is something different about the way they speak, but they can blend in easily. I think part of it is from living here for a fair number of years and part of it being the fact Swedes don't really have strong accents to begin, which allows them to mask the little they do have with ease.

Edited by Macksam

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me, living here and travelling in Europe, the Danes speak the best of non-natives. The Dutch have that irritating Dutch accent, and then saying yup all the time (seriously, very good). Germans are not as consistent, I think because a lot of Germany never sees tourists or has to speak English, I've had cabbies in Berlin who had poor English. 

In Spain the level amongst the young has improved radically in the last 5 years even. 

Funny, just when we are in the midst of Brexit and the EU will have only one nation of a few million speaking English officially.

It has been a long time since I have been in Spain (2010), but when I was there I was surprised by how little English was spoken. I was told that Portugal and Spain, being on the Iberian peninsula, are traditionally weaker in English compared to the nations of central Europe, who's populations tend to be fluent in multiple languages, english of course being one of the most common. So I chalked it up to a Geography thing largely. Is there a cultural element as well? I'm sure regionally there are differences as well. I only spent time in Andalusia in cities like Malaga, Granada, Sevilla etc. What do you think is behind the radical improvement amongst youth in the last 5 years?

On 14/4/2017 at 5:32 PM, Obinna said:

It has been a long time since I have been in Spain (2010), but when I was there I was surprised by how little English was spoken. I was told that Portugal and Spain, being on the Iberian peninsula, are traditionally weaker in English compared to the nations of central Europe, who's populations tend to be fluent in multiple languages, english of course being one of the most common. So I chalked it up to a Geography thing largely. Is there a cultural element as well? I'm sure regionally there are differences as well. I only spent time in Andalusia in cities like Malaga, Granada, Sevilla etc. What do you think is behind the radical improvement amongst youth in the last 5 years?

Huge youth unemployment motivating young to leave the country, social media and globalized culture, online tv series, less inhibitions about studying English.

Portugal is way better than Spain for historical reasons. Spanish is a major language, and a very resistant one. Perhaps the only language to be as persistant and arrogant as English in some ways. I've had people come up to me in Vancouver, on Commercial, and ask me questions directly in Spanish (sure, when I had darker and not grey hair, but still). That would not happen with any other language in North America. If you go anywhere in the States now, you can speak in Spanish and almost expect someone to attend you.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, shamrock said:

According to this article (http://www.rp-online.de/sport/fussball/fortuna/fortuna-duesseldorf-die-angst-steckt-in-den-koepfen-fest-aid-1.6809536) Kianz will train with the Düsseldorf first team today. Doesn't say he will be added to the team, but they are in fear of relegation and therefor need goals. 

He deserves it, statistically he is too good for their second team

1 hour ago, badname22 said:

He deserves it, statistically he is too good for their second team

What stat you got

Edited by Guest