Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

Yes, most of the times it happens the other way around. The clubs drafts a player, let's him train and then get's rid of him unceremoniously after the preseason or sometimes a bit later. For the MLS-starter salary he was going to get paid in Van (assuming he'd even get a contract) he might as well go NYC were he'll probably get more playing time anyway. Good for him.

All you can blame the Whitecaps is that they didn't draft an Adidas-kid at 7.

I understand all that but I was hearing that he signed for the Cosmos "before" the draft. In that case he wasn't eligible to be drafted, just his MLS rights, which are worth a whole lot less than the player. He'll get more money, playing time and is much closer to home in NY so I understand it from his perspective.

I'm afraid to ask but "what else could possibly go wrong?" ....

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm getting really pissed off with MLS right about now. From what I hear he signed with Cosmos before the draft but MLS still left him on the board? WTF? We just wasted the 7th overall pick on someone who wasn't available? AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG.

This year just keeps getting better and better.

I think this is hilarious. If the Caps can now put together an impressive line up come March 8th, our management team will be viewed as having succeeded under difficult circumstances, and this is all just free hype.

And if they field a disastrous team... well there's always comedy in humiliation right?

Marc Weber ‏@ProvinceWeber 2h

Funny Bobby on Reo: "We're going on the basis that unless he has an agent that takes him to the Middle East, he's going to be with us."

Is this about Reo-Coker??? Is he on his way out too?

Funny Bobby on Reo: "We're going on the basis that unless he has an agent that takes him to the Middle East, he's going to be with us."

Wasn't he brought over on the understanding that he would be eventually given a DP contract? Time to pony up.

When Reo.C signed I vividly remember Duze and Nigel talk about how he took a cut, so he could earn the DP status in his 2nd season. Which IMO he did earn that. Caps obviously see it otherwise and I would not be surprised if Nigel is upset and takes off too. He has a history of jumping clubs for money and leaving enemies in his wake. Just ask us Hammers fans.

Though if we could squeeze another Transfer fee out of him. We do have Koffie, Alderson, Leveron, and Abdallah in terms of DM depth. Take the fees from Camilo and him and bring in a bonafide #10 to support Miller and Mattocks.

When Reo-Coker signed, there was a club option at a DP salary which was exercised. Bobby confirmed yesterday that NRC is on "significantly more money" in 2014. I interpret this to mean that he's at, or above, the DP ceiling of $387k. Whether he becomes a "DP" or they simply pay down his cap hit with allocation should be largely irrelevant. People need to stop pissing their pants about every player on the club. Nigel loves Vancouver and I doubt he's headed anywhere, anytime soon.

When Reo-Coker signed, there was a club option at a DP salary which was exercised. Bobby confirmed yesterday that NRC is on "significantly more money" in 2014. I interpret this to mean that he's at, or above, the DP ceiling of $387k. Whether he becomes a "DP" or they simply pay down his cap hit with allocation should be largely irrelevant. People need to stop pissing their pants about every player on the club. Nigel loves Vancouver and I doubt he's headed anywhere, anytime soon.

Loving Vancouver and playing for Vancouver are two different things. Just ask Camilo.

I have no problem with DeMerit and the money he is making. He is the best CB on the roster and the team plays better with him. The problem is that they have 4 quality players and 1 'promising' rookie for 2 positions. One of the others has to go. In my opinion, it should be O'Brien. It is a combination of his age, and him being an international.

I don't have a problem with Nigel at 600k either. Performance wise, he was probably worth it last season. If that keeps him happy, then great.

Twitter is also saying that Rob Friend is a god. So, please say who on twitter said that if you don't want me to laugh at that. In that case, it was Ben Jata.

I don't care if you laughed at that.

Peter Schaad ‏@PeteSchaad

We need to remember the WC's had oodles of cap room even B4 Camilo $$. Sounds like Reo-C will be a DP at $375.00 hit on (rumoured) 600K.

Mackenzie Pridham * (CMNT eligible), Michael Calderon & Michael Kafari picked in the 3/4 rounds. I'll hold off adding them to the first post until they make it through camp. That far down is a bit of hope & luck territory but you never know.

Good luck to Mackenzie (and the other 2)

Mackenzie Pridham * (CMNT eligible), Michael Calderon & Michael Kafari picked in the 3/4 rounds. I'll hold off adding them to the first post until they make it through camp. That far down is a bit of hope & luck territory but you never know.

Good luck to Mackenzie (and the other 2)

If Pridham isn't in the opening day starting 11, I think that would be undeniable proof that Vancouver hates Canadians.

We shall see, we shall see....

I dunno, WC do have a lot of options upfront. And why was Pridham so low down the draft? Apperently scouts aren't convinced he can make the next step. I appreciate it though that the Canadian teams seem to pick fellow-countrymen in the draft. Even though his chances of earning a contract are pretty low.

Although Happy for the Caps I was quietly rooting that maybe...maybe Victoria Highlanders would make the jump to USL Pro with an affiliation with the Caps.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/01/whitecaps-fc-charleston-battery-affiliate-partnership

Vancouver Whitecaps FC and USL PRO club Charleston Battery enter affiliate partnership

'Caps set to loan minimum four MLS players to club affiliate

VANCOUVER, BC – Major League Soccer club Vancouver Whitecaps FC and USL PRO club Charleston Battery announced today an initial one-year partnership that will make the Battery the official USL PRO affiliate of Whitecaps FC.

“The Battery are a well-respected club with a tradition of success on and off the pitch," said Whitecaps FC president Bob Lenarduzzi. "We have a long-standing relationship with the Battery's president Andrew Bell, dating back to our days in the USL First Division, and we are excited to formalize an official partnership. This affiliation will greatly benefit the development of our younger players by providing an opportunity for them receive more minutes in a professional environment and as a result it will help with player transition from our Residency and U-23 programs into the first team.”

Whitecaps FC will loan a minimum of four players from their MLS roster to the South Carolina outfit during the course of the 2014 USL PRO season. As a result, the ‘Caps will not participate in the MLS Reserve League in 2014.

In addition to the player benefits, Whitecaps FC and Battery will share best practices on and off the field including technical coordination and strategic initiatives.

"We are very excited about the potential that this brings," added Charleston Battery president Andrew Bell. "We’ve been working on the details for some time now and it’s great to finally formalize the partnership. Vancouver Whitecaps FC are an ambitious and forward-thinking club and it’s been refreshing to note all the synergies between our organizations. We are looking forward to working with them closely and hopefully contributing to their future success."

Founded in 1993, the Battery have become one of the most successful lower division clubs in the United States. They have won a total of four league titles, most recently in 2012 when they claimed the USL PRO Championship. Also of note, the Battery advanced to the U.S. Open Cup final in 2008 – the only lower-division club to achieve that feat since 1999.

Managed by former player Michael Anhaeuser, who was recently inducted into the USL Hall of Fame, the Battery finished third in USL PRO last season before falling to Orlando City in the semifinals. Whitecaps FC midfielder Bryce Alderson, as well as U-23 midfielder Ben Fisk, and U-23 fullback Emmanuel Adjetey each spent time on loan with the Battery last season.

Based in Charleston, South Carolina, the Battery play their home matches at Blackbaud Stadium – a 5,113-seat soccer-specific venue. Whitecaps FC are the 10th team to form an affiliate partnership with a USL PRO club – the two leagues entered a multi-year affiliation in 2012. USL PRO is the third tier of the United States soccer pyramid. Thirteen teams will play in the league in 2014.

Fans will have the opportunity to watch every single Battery match this season, as it was recently announced that USL PRO will stream all 2014 matches free on YouTube through individual team channels.

Archived