Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

Playing in USL pretty much beats everything other than playing in NASL or MLS. Of course it's a place to develop, cause it's real games against professional men, before an audience. And they don't have this USL-MLS tie for nothing. Whitecaps will send 4-5 players down there. And why would you have to cut Abdallah? Just because he's not Canadian? I guess they didn't get him from Africa if they didn't think he was talented enough.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would disagree that Froese isn't ready for first team minutes.

I haven't seen Froese play. But I certainly won't judge him until I do. It wasn't a year ago today that all the naysayers were saying Teibert was not ready for first team minutes, as well. He did improve a lot during the offseason that year, but Teibert was ALWAYS good, and some of the Vancouver Academy players are a lot better than people give them credit for.

I'm not sure if Froese is one of them, but I sure wouldn't discount it until we've seen more, guys...who's the next Teibert? (at their position)

For example, I HAVE seen Alderson play...a few times...and while I saw serious talent in Teibert, Alderson for me, needed improvement to be MLS caliber...he may make the 30, but I don't think that means he plays.

And why would you have to cut Abdallah? Just because he's not Canadian?

Taking up an international spot at a position we have a lot of depth at and doesn't appear from what I've seen to be anywhere near the first team.

And am I biased toward Canadians, and former/current Whitecaps residency players?... damn right! :P

Caps 1 Victoria Vikes 0 : http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/02/wfc-earn-1-0-victory-uvic

I presume tomorrow we will find out who is let go and who is sent off to Charleston for a while.

Predicted cuts: Thomas, Kobi, Kafari, Mena, Amina, Kwambe, Pridham (?)

Fisk must have made the first team I bet.

Big question about what to do with Alderson. He basically said he won't go to Charleston again and yet it doesn't strike me that he deserves to be with the first team just yet.

Farmer and Carducci surely go to Charleston, but who joins them, I wonder? Do Bustos or Froese benefit from that environment at this stage?

Caps 1 Victoria Vikes 0 : http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/02/wfc-earn-1-0-victory-uvic

I presume tomorrow we will find out who is let go and who is sent off to Charleston for a while.

Predicted cuts: Thomas, Kobi, Kafari, Mena, Amina, Kwambe, Pridham (?)

Fisk must have made the first team I bet.

Big question about what to do with Alderson. He basically said he won't go to Charleston again and yet it doesn't strike me that he deserves to be with the first team just yet.

Farmer and Carducci surely go to Charleston, but who joins them, I wonder? Do Bustos or Froese benefit from that environment at this stage?

Already been stated that the residency guys arent going to Charleston. They will finish the U-18 season and play PDL as well as fight for first team minutes. Carducci, Farmer, Bustos and Froese wont be going.

A recent interview suggested as many as 8 would go Charleston. My guess is that Abdallah, Thomas, Dean, Diouf, Ramirez, Pridham, & Kafari. I would add Lewis, but as he is still Cosmos property I dont know how that would work?

Might see Ballouchy for a bit too just to get some games, he's been hurt for years and Kwambe if they decide to keep him.

How do Caps feel about the team this year? I think the playoffs are out of reach for the current squad. Scoring woes seem to be the most pressing concern.

I think this team might surprise, a slow start getting used to Robo's system followed by a strong push. Rumour is another #10 from South America is on his way (no names yet).

Any sources for these rumours?

Pete Schaad was hearing this at training. He actual said the player was from Latin American and not well known, yet. Not sure what the "yet" means, except that most players in Latin American and, well, most players signed by MLS, are not well known to the casual supporters. I took this to imply it may be a DP signing like Diego Valeri. He's a guy Lenarduzzi has mentioned several times when talking about the players we are targeting.

How do Caps feel about the team this year? I think the playoffs are out of reach for the current squad. Scoring woes seem to be the most pressing concern.

Last year Camilo was coming off 5 goals, and people didn't seem him as a starter. The goals will come as players take new opportunities. If Mattocks is around and playing it's highly unlike he scores only 3. Salgado is back, and Manneh look very dangerous scoring 6 goals in less than 1000 minutes. That's 20 goals right there if he gets Camilo minutes. The other factors to consider are Robinson's desire to attack and the fact that service from midfield was really **** last year. Mezquida and Fernandez seem to be the types of players to fix this. We've already seen more final balls from Fernandez than we saw all year from Daigo.

Very nervous. We have quite a few forwards but except for Miller (who is only signed for half the season) no experienced ones. More importantly we have nobody who can do free kicks. That is where I think we will be hurt the most.

There are a lot of "ifs" around our forwards: If Miller and Salgado can stay healthy, if Mattocks can find his scoring form again, if Hurtado can control the ball, if Manneh doesn't get the sophomore jinx, if we get Clarke back in July ...

Very nervous. We have quite a few forwards but except for Miller (who is only signed for half the season) no experienced ones. More importantly we have nobody who can do free kicks. That is where I think we will be hurt the most.

There are a lot of "ifs" around our forwards: If Miller and Salgado can stay healthy, if Mattocks can find his scoring form again, if Hurtado can control the ball, if Manneh doesn't get the sophomore jinx, if we get Clarke back in July ...

Too many If's for my liking, I get the feeling the Caps will be one of the bottom feeders this year unfortunately.

tmcmurph says: More importantly we have nobody who can do free kicks. That is where I think we will be hurt the most.

How do you figure?

Russell can whip in good feeds to the "herd in the box" but to nail one into a corner with pace from just outside the box? I've seen nobody who could kill it like Camilo. The double post at Houston last year was a classic of how hard and accurate he could be(so close). The goal in Montreal was another.

Free kicks around the box are game breakers. Have you seen anyone on the Caps who can fill that role? Leveron? Teibert? Maybe. Hard to say because nobody got the chance. That is to be expected when you have someone like Camilo on the field. I hope Russell was doing double duty on FK practice when he heard that Camilo was heading south. He has the placement but not the power whereas Leveron has the opposite problem. Maybe this phantom "#10" I keep hearing about being signed any week now can do it.

We'll see but it is a gaping hole.

Russell can whip in good feeds to the "herd in the box" but to nail one into a corner with pace from just outside the box? I've seen nobody who could kill it like Camilo. The double post at Houston last year was a classic of how hard and accurate he could be(so close). The goal in Montreal was another.

Free kicks around the box are game breakers. Have you seen anyone on the Caps who can fill that role? Leveron? Teibert? Maybe. Hard to say because nobody got the chance. That is to be expected when you have someone like Camilo on the field. I hope Russell was doing double duty on FK practice when he heard that Camilo was heading south. He has the placement but not the power whereas Leveron has the opposite problem. Maybe this phantom "#10" I keep hearing about being signed any week now can do it.

We'll see but it is a gaping hole.

Camilo was arguably the leagues best last year and we didnt make the playoffs. There is so much that goes into winning a game, just because a free kick is the highlight of the night on TSN doesn't make it any more important.

But specifically to your point I think you answered your own question - you dont know and you havent seen anyone. Both Fernández & Mezquida are free kick takers, but how can we judge them until they have taken them?

To say we 'we have nobody' is ridiculous.

To say we 'we have nobody' is ridiculous.

Okay then I'll rephrase it to suit your pedantic nature: We have nobody proven, who can score on a high percentage of FKs around the box.

To say "we have somebody" or "somebody will step up" is just wishful thinking. Until they do, we don't.

Okay then I'll rephrase it to suit your pedantic nature: We have nobody proven, who can score on a high percentage of FKs around the box.

To say "we have somebody" or "somebody will step up" is just wishful thinking. Until they do, we don't.

Oh lord.... Have you ever seen Fernández or Mezquida take a free kick? To say we have no one proven, because of ignorance, is a bit silly.

FYI - I never said "we have somebody" or "somebody will step up".

Oh lord.... Have you ever seen Fernández or Mezquida take a free kick? To say we have no one proven, because of ignorance, is a bit silly.

FYI - I never said "we have somebody" or "somebody will step up".

No and neither has anyone else. PROVEN. To say we have no one PROVEN is a fact. Unless you can cite FKs taken and goals scored from them stats for the new comers? Didn't think so. Anyone else on the team? Didn't think so? So until the season starts and someone does we have nobody PROVEN in the way that Camilo was. That IMHO is a glaring hole.

Archived