Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

Yeah, this was a promising start. Ousted has to clean up those sorts of errors. We aren't going to score 4 goals every game. Fernandez looked good; Morales looks amazing (let's see if he can do that for 90 minutes, game in and game out). Back four was solid, esp. with R-C and Laba in front of them. This is the best game I've seen from Mattocks in a long time, maybe ever. He was playing a much smarter game, holding the ball up, making good runs, and he set up the Fernandez goal. Tiebert was good, but I feel he will be lost on the wing. But he's not going to replace Morales down the middle, and I think Russel needs to play more centrally. He had a couple of fantastic balls forward.

Let's see if they can build on this. If they can gel, then I think this could be a very exciting team.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great shot from Tiebert early in the match from ~20yds out. That surprised me as I haven't really seen him get off a powerful strike like that.

I wish he would (just once or twice) pull the ball onto his right, dribble past a guy, and chip a cross in … it would make heads explode all over the defence. Even Arjen Robben pulls it onto his right once in a while.

I thought the Caps weren't that convincing at all, they were lucky to get that early penalty.

Labas was strong is midfield and Mattocks worked his ass off, he really impressed me.

Ousted still hasn't convinced me, with yet another mistake. I know Knighton isn't the most imposing man in goal, but Ousted already has made more errors than Knighton...

I thought the Caps weren't that convincing at all, they were lucky to get that early penalty.

Labas was strong is midfield and Mattocks worked his ass off, he really impressed me.

Ousted still hasn't convinced me, with yet another mistake. I know Knighton isn't the most imposing man in goal, but Ousted already has made more errors than Knighton...

Totally wrong and totally right. The Caps totally dominated play, they were way better than NY in all phases of the game. And yes, Ousted does not look to be quite what we had hoped for, that slight step up you get from an experienced top flight keeper. But probably there is no reason to make any new signing there as we all know keeping in MLS does not have to be good to be good.

I also went to the match and thoroughly enjoyed myself like I haven't since some of Hassli's wonder left town. This should attract some more casual fans and convert some casual fans to more serious ones. The thing is, the bench was full (not to mention guys outside the 18 even) of guns raring to go - this could be a fun year. I liked the Caps' shape throughout most of the match, was really impressed by their discipline defensively even while attacking with so much freedom and obvious pleasure.

IMO, they are still missing a bigger target man to get on the end of what looks to be infinitely better service into the box this year. It's an incredibly small team beyond the defensive unit and this might look like a different result against some of the bigger and bruising sides. They other concern I have will be keeping all these great players happy without reserve league minutes for the guys on the outside looking in; a deep cup run would do wonders for this club, this year more than any other in recent history.

Great start overall, well deserved.

Caps sure as hell looked pretty convincing to me.

They only started playing better after the first goal. Before the goal they could barely string 3 passes together. RB was better controlling the ball.

The thing is, the Caps got stacked in attacking quality players. That should bring points, just as the playing of Morales who showed some flair. But in the overall play, there's a lot of room for improvement.

But what the heck, Caps won one.

They only started playing better after the first goal. Before the goal they could barely string 3 passes together. RB was better controlling the ball.

The thing is, the Caps got stacked in attacking quality players. That should bring points, just as the playing of Morales who showed some flair. But in the overall play, there's a lot of room for improvement.

But what the heck, Caps won one.

Understood Shamrock, but it was their first game! I can only hope TFC looks that "poor" in their first game.

I can't believe how creative and different Pedro Morales is. An entirely different element. Incredible vision.

That said...he seems like the kind of player who will, during the course of this season, be equally frustrating with his giveaways as he is rewarding with his through balls that lead to chances. I guess it depends on how consistent his precision is with the ball when creating those chances. We shall see!

That said...he seems like the kind of player who will, during the course of this season, be equally frustrating with his giveaways as he is rewarding with his through balls that lead to chances. I guess it depends on how consistent his precision is with the ball when creating those chances. We shall see!

Really? I unfortunately, haven't seen the whole game yet, but I thought I read somewhere that he had the highest pass percentage of anyone on the pitch, and created 3 chances in his 25 minutes. But yeah, he'll probably turn the ball over more often than someone that always plays the conservative pass.

Loved what I saw from the new guys. The team as a whole still has its work cut out for it in terms of holding possession, but when Morales came on it showed the type of possession we could be in store for this season.

Morales was amazing to watch live. Ever ball he placed perfectly, possibly one went a bit to far for a tired Miller to run down. I think we have a real play-maker in Morales though and didn't seem like the turf bothered him in judging how the ball was gonna bounce. He only played 25 minutes, yet was was, arguably, the most influential on the game.

Laba and Coker look like a real force in the middle of the park as well. Like OB and DeMerit they compliment each other amazingly. Laba provides a great outlet for the back-line.

Ousted needs to focus out there a bit more, he's very acrobatic and makes the tough saves, but I notice on plays that lack intensity his guard is down and he makes mental mistakes. Hopefully with a healthy and consistent back line should bail him out on most occasions. O'Brien and DeMerit provide that perfect mix of calm and collected in OB and aggressive and vocal in DeMerit.

If the first game showed 'caps fans anything it is that this season is at the very least going to provide exciting football at BC place. Cannot wait for the 29th to get back in there.

Will Aleman get any playing time this season? I heard he looked good in preseason.

You mean Alderson? While I thought there were times where he looked quite good in preseason, I don't see anyway he surpasses the guys in front of him right now. A loan where he plays every week would clearly be the best option, but I know that he does not want to go back to Charleston. I wonder if he was one of the guys that Edmonton was offered but turned down?

Should we start a new thread called 2014 Vancouver Whitecaps season? 

Anyway, I don't understand how the commentator thought that wasn't a red card. He could have broken Morales' leg with that. Moreover, it was full of evil intent cause how would he have touched the ball if Morales' leg hadn't been there? 

And thirdly, as so often the sending away didn't help Whitecaps at all, it just gave Chivas momentum. 

Should we start a new thread called 2014 Vancouver Whitecaps season? 

Anyway, I don't understand how the commentator thought that wasn't a red card. He could have broken Morales' leg with that. Moreover, it was full of evil intent cause how would he have touched the ball if Morales' leg hadn't been there? 

And thirdly, as so often the sending away didn't help Whitecaps at all, it just gave Chivas momentum. 

Sure go for it on the new thread. This one is set until the summer transfer window. We lost 2 points yesterday. No excuse for that. I hope it doesn't cost us a playoff spot come October. It would really suck to miss the playoffs by 2 points and think back to this game.

I can't believe how creative and different Pedro Morales is. An entirely different element. Incredible vision.

Some of this is the nature of creating chances though.  Looking through stats, playmakers typically have lower passing percentages than defenders or holding midfielders.  Although I agree, Morales has some tendancy to give the ball away cheaply.   

I find people often have this mistaken perception that teams like Barca just complete a series of safe passes and walk right into the back of the net.  I would say they keep possession long enough to try and find the right time to take a chance.  But even then, most attacks end in failure and difficult passes don't always come off.

The nature of some of these great passes is they are the exception as opposed to the rule. 

Jun Marques Davidson has signed with Carolina, there must be more ex-Whitecaps signed this year by USL Pro and NASL then from any other MLS team.

Hertzog, Hassli, Rusin, Heinneman....plus the 7 Whitecap linked players to Charleston (3 roster, 1 PDL, 1 Academy, 2 unsigned draft picks) 

• 8 months later...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/daigo-kobayashi

Saw Daigo's name playing significant minutes in the final, ending up a runner-up to LA. Funny how similar his numbers were between the two seasons/clubs. Was he more valuable for NE than VWFC I wonder? It does make me think that he wasn't so much under performing stats-wise for us, but rather just performing as the player he apparently is.

That Nyugen guy always rubs me the wrong way. Not that I wish Caps had kept him after seeing his success, but still. And seeing Bunbury nearly win it too. I guess he made his comeback.. Ughhh.

OT Post-MLS season rant over

Archived