Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

How so?

YP Lee played more minutes than anyone on the roster except Coker. He played in 32 and had 30 starts added 6 assists.

And it showed. He was not his rested self for a lot of those games. When rested he rocked but he isn't a young kid with recovery time measured in a few days. Playing wing back is a very tiring position.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And it showed. He was not his rested self for a lot of those games. When rested he rocked but he isn't a young kid with recovery time measured in a few days. Playing wing back is a very tiring position.

Okay, I understand that. My point is it was still a place strength regardless. Depth would have made it stronger, yes; however, speaking relatively RB was least of our worries when he had YP Lee, and if there was any it was what will we do when he retires.

For myself I think Beitashour is the perfect in league replacement of him we will get all the YP qualities we are gonna miss: Work Ethic, Leadership, Defensive and Attacking quality. It is gonna be entertaining football down the right flank for the foreseeable future for the Whitecaps.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/02/wfc-add-uruguayans-fernandez-mezquida

Caps add two young Uruguayans - Sebastián Fernández and Nicolás Mezquida

International spots are an issue. With 5 CB's does this mean the end for Carlyle Mitchell? Almost guarantees Aminu Abdallah & Mamadou Diouf will be loaned to USL as they take up Int. spots.

Hopefully, these kids can adjust to the MLS, nicely.

Fernandez is on Loan while Mezquida comes on a transfer. The INT spots are filling up fast.

11 INT spots

1.Abdallah

2.Diouf

3.Leveron

4.Lewis

5.Mattocks

6.Mitchell

7.O'Brien

8.Ousted

9.Coker

10.Miller

INT's who count as domestics

Manneh

Watson

Ballouchy

Koffie

4 spots left out of the 30 and you have to figure one is for a backup keeper. Interesting the Uruguayan connection. Canada has some players playing in their league and we get some of their players in ours. Hopefully these 2 are the next Forlan & Suarez. It does fill the attacking mid role with players a bit more seasoned than what we have. The comment from Robbo was that they see plays develop way ahead of time and adjust.

4 spots left out of the 30 and you have to figure one is for a backup keeper. Interesting the Uruguayan connection. Canada has some players playing in their league and we get some of their players in ours. Hopefully these 2 are the next Forlan & Suarez. It does fill the attacking mid role with players a bit more seasoned than what we have. The comment from Robbo was that they see plays develop way ahead of time and adjust.

Hopefully Gilberto is the next Ronaldo

Currently 25 on contract, so 5 left of which 3 spots are reserved - GK x 2 and RB, which leaves 2 'open' spots. However they must loan a minimum of 4 to the Battery, so they could potentially sign 6 more in addition to the GK's and RB.

Lots of movement in the next 4 weeks.

VWFC 3 - 2 Indy11 http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=561KOk2D0rA

Post Match Martyn Pert: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6ju1DC3d8#

Post Match Omar Salgado: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF-zMxgmVo#

Interesting thing is Daigo Kobayashi is "training" with team. Sort of on trial... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLL75vVNb8#

MATCH DETAIL

Referee: Ricardo Salazar

Scoring Summary:

26' - VAN - Ben Fisk (Mamadou Diouf)

29' - IND - Pedro Mendes

71' - IND - Don Smart

77' - VAN - Omar Salgado (Mitch Piraux)

81' - VAN - Omar Salgado (Sam Adekugbe)

Match Stats:

Shots: Vancouver 14 - Indy 8

Shots on Goal: Vancouver 5 - Indy 2

Saves: Vancouver 3 - Indy 0

Fouls: Vancouver 13 - Indy 11

Offsides: Vancouver 7 - Indy 6

Corners: Vancouver 6 - Indy 1

Cautions:

70' - VAN - Erik Hurtado

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC

39.Simon Thomas* (18.Patrick McLain 46'); 42.Jordan Cyrus* (29.Solomon Kwambe* 59'), 41.Jackson Farmer+, 22.Christian Dean, 27.Ethen Sampson^ (3.Sam Adekugbe 59'); 46.Adam Mena# (Michael Calderon# 46'), 25.Andre Lewis (51.Michael Kafari# 46'), 32.Marco Bustos+ (38.Kianz Froese+ 46'), 26.Aminu Abdallah (25. Mitch Piraux+ 46'), 30.Ben Fisk^ (17.Omar Salgado 59'); 45.Mamadou Diouf (19.Erik Hurtado 59')

*Trialist

+Whitecaps FC Residency

^Whitecaps FC U-23

#Whitecaps FC MLS Draftee

INDY ELEVEN

24.Kristian Nicht (Nathan Sprenkel 45'); Trialist (14.Chris Wey), Trialist (3.Baba Omosegbon 45'), Trialist (Trialist 45'), 4.Kyle Hyland (Trialist 45'); 8.Brad Ring (Trialist 45', Trialist '60), Trialist (Trialist 45'), Trialist (Trialist 45'); 2.Mike Ambersley (12.Don Smart 45'), 5.Pedro Mendes (Trialist 45'), 10.Walter Ramirez (Trialist 45')

INDY ELEVEN

24.Kristian Nicht (Nathan Sprenkel 45'); Trialist (14.Chris Wey), Trialist (3.Baba Omosegbon 45'), Trialist (Trialist 45'), 4.Kyle Hyland (Trialist 45'); 8.Brad Ring (Trialist 45', Trialist '60), Trialist (Trialist 45'), Trialist (Trialist 45'); 2.Mike Ambersley (12.Don Smart 45'), 5.Pedro Mendes (Trialist 45'), 10.Walter Ramirez (Trialist 45')

Did Jeffery play in that game? :)

Did Jeffery play in that game? :)

Info taken from Indy11 website:

Indy Eleven Line-ups

1st Half (4-3-3): Kristian Nicht; * E. Cass, * R. Tipton, * F. Jefferson, Kyle Hyland; Brad Ring, * B. Elkhart, * B. Jennings; Mike Ambersley, Pedro Mendes, Walter Ramirez

2nd Half (4-3-3): Nathan Sprenkel; Chris Wey, Baba Omosegbon, * S. Allen, * F. Tippecanoe; * F. Jefferson (T. Lake 60), * Y. Grant, * M. Shelby; Don Smart, * S. Monroe, * S. Jay

* Denotes trialists (aliases used)

Great to see Fisk bang one in early, and to see Farmer and Dean both go 90 (Perhaps no other new options, some might say). I also like Salgado's big impact soon after coming in - he might be well-suited to be a supersub of some type this season.

I don't like the fact I haven't seen Pridham's name mentioned anywhere. He is in camp, right?

(Edit - he's hurt. I predict he won't get much of a chance, unfortunately)

Much less impressed with the Caps bringing in players sight unseen with no need to even trial: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/05/sight-unseen-vancouver-whitecaps-carl-robinson-excited-additions-sebastian-f Especially the purchase of Mezquida from second-tier Uruguay. Before following Cavallini's story a little more closely I would have been impressed with the name-dropping of Uruguay at all, but we have seen with our own eyes how even the bottom half of the Uruguayan division is not really top quality at all overall, let alone the second tier (which admittedly I know nothing about). Now I'd be pretty excited by Cavallini joining us but even he, a solid starter (and scorer I would hazard to guess) in the the top flight (with the right team) would probably come in at fifth or sixth in the pecking order. I realise Caps are weak at AM but making a TFC or Impact-like latin american purchase is no sensible decision.

Even less excited to see Daigo's name pop up again. That smells of them not being able to find any quality in their price range, which is strange because by some accounts they should have a fair amount of wiggle room; I was expecting a Reo-Coker type player & contract coming in to the AM or RAM/RW role not the equivalent of a second go around with a gfriend who clearly didn't come close to satisfying you the first time around (Really...I'll try harder this time. Things will be different, I promise).

However, I am a CR fan and will give him the benefit of the doubt, at least for the first year. Unlike a guy like Rennie he has been involved in the game at high levels, knows the league well and, perhaps most importantly, understands the midfield position, in all its various forms, more than most managers would in most leagues.

I love seeing SImon Thomas on trial. so they release him then he goes on trial with them. I find that counter productive

Along with Daigo, who was also released.

As for the Charleston Loan agreement do the 4 have to be from the MLS roster or would Fisk have counted last year? As it definitely will impact players coming in, if there is indeed 4 extra spots on our senior roster. It opens the door for a guy like Pridham to make the club.

From reading tweets today, it sounded like the friendly against SSFC was a good game. There was a few comments about the partnership of Alderson and Daigo. Lots of praise for Hurtado playing at centre forward, scored the lone 'caps goal. Fernandez and Mezquinda were all over the ball today, as well.

Seems like the two South American's will bring plenty of attacking pressure to their games. Hurtado and Salgado look like they surely will make an impact at the MLS level. Mitchell was a beast in the air, per usual.

Seattle Sounders 2 - 1 VWFC

Highlights: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kGE6BC7CeZc#

Post Match Erik Hurtado: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_8_0Vi7gr3M

Post Match Carl Robinson: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6jj-Yi_fBok

Scoring Summary

8' - SEA - Fabio Pereira (Chad Barrett)

17' - SEA - Kevin Parsemain (Dylan Remick)

46' - VAN - Erik Hurtado (Matt Watson)

Match Stats: Shots: Vancouver 13 - Seattle 8

Shots on Goal: Vancouver 2 - Seattle 4

Saves: Vancouver 3 - Seattle 1

Fouls: Vancouver 11 - Seattle 5

Offsides: Vancouver 1 - Seattle 1

Corners: Vancouver 5 - Seattle 2

Cautions:

48' - VAN - Jordan Harvey

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

1.David Ousted (44.Marco Carducci+ 45'); 13.Solomon Kwambe* (33.Steven Beitashour 45'), 6.Jay DeMerit (24.Carlyle Mitchell 45'), 16.Johnny Leveron (40.Andy O'Brien 45'), 3.Sam Adekugbe (2.Jordan Harvey 45'); 7.Sebastian Fernandez (8.Matt Watson 45), 20.Nigel Reo-Coker (27.Ethen Sampson^ 67'), 29.Nicolas Mezquida (12.Daigo Kobayashi* 45', 32.Marco Bustos+ 83'), 28.Gershon Koffie (36.Bryce Alderson 45'), 38.Kianz Froese+ (17.Omar Salgado 45', 25.Andre Lewis 74'); 11.Darren Mattocks (19.Erik Hurtado 45')

*Trialist

+Whitecaps FC Residency

^Whitecaps FC U-23

Seattle Sounders FC

First Half: Marcus Hahnemann, Michael Azira (David Estrada 45'), Zach Scott (Damion Lowe 45'), Jalil Anibaba (Tarek Morad 45'), Dylan Remick (Aaron Kovar 45'), Sean Okoli (Long Tan 45'), Andy Rose (Michael Azira 69’), Fabio Pereira (Dzenan Catic 45'), Stefani Rijssel (Miguel Gonzalez 45'), Chad Barrett (Kenny Cooper 45'), Kevin Parsemain (Eriq Zavaleta 45')

Sorry no Jeffrey playing Today :)

Teibert played (phew) but missed a PK. Hurtado sounds like the breakthrough player of camp. Carducci, Fisk and Sam got 45 or close to it but minutes will be hard to come by for Canadians again this year if preseason is any indication.

This team looks to me like it (not unlike Montreal atm, come to think of it) will struggle to make the playoffs with their pure best 18 never mind by sacrificing something by making this the year to bleed young residency grads. Still some missing pieces up front and perhaps on the wings.

Teibert played 90 (phew) but missed a PK. Hurtado sounds like the breakthrough player of camp. Carducci, Fisk and Sam got 45 or close to it but minutes will be hard to come by for Canadians again this year if preseason is any indication.

This team looks to me like it (not unlime Montreal atm, come to think of it) will struggle to make the playoffs with their pure best 18 never mind by sacrificing something by making this the year to bleed young residency grads. Still some missing pieces up front and perhaps on the wings.

Preseason.

Expect 2-3 more players in and some leaving, not to mention two of our best forwards (Miller & Manneh) haven't played.

Small note Teibert only played 45 and played as one of the 2 with NRC in a 4-2-3-1. New role for him, don't think you'll see him on the wing with Robinson.

Archived