Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

So the following are under contract for the 2014 season. 30 out of 30 so far. The star denotes players who are CMNT eligible.

Coach: Carl Robinson

Keepers:

David Ousted

Paolo Tornaghi

Marco Carducci *

Defenders:

Sam Adekugbe *

Jordan Harvey

Johnny Leveron

Carlyle Mitchell

Jay DeMerit

Andy O’Brien

Christian Dean - GenA Draft Pick

Steven Beitashour

Ethen Sampson

Midfielders:

Aminu Abdallah

Bryce Alderson *

Gershon Koffie

Erik Hurtado

Nigel Reo-Coker

Russell Teibert *

Andre Lewis - Draft pick

Mehdi Ballouchy

Sebastián Fernández

Nicolás Mezquida

Matias Laba

Pedro Morales

Forwards:

Caleb Clarke *

Kekuta Manneh

Darren Mattocks

Kenny Miller

Omar Salgado

Mamadou Diouf - Draft pick

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps this is a daft question or just shows my ignorance towards the intricacies of MLS contracts, but how then was Fisk loaned out from Vancouver if he wasn't under contract with them? Was he still on a youth team contract?

Yea the PDL is kept different from the MLS so as to not ruin a player's NCAA eligibility or something like that I think. I could be wrong. This is a list of MLS contracted players. It is a mess and hard to understand for sure.

Yea the PDL is kept different from the MLS so as to not ruin a player's NCAA eligibility or something like that I think. I could be wrong. This is a list of MLS contracted players. It is a mess and hard to understand for sure.

The Caps PDL club specifically ruins NCAA eligibility because players there are -in some cases- on pro contracts. The PDL side allows the club to sign additional players to non-MLS contracts which was probably tolerated by MLS only because the "farm system" is coming anyway with USL Pro.

So he was (is?) contracted by the Whitecaps but not by the MLS? Surprisingly, that makes sense.

I think that is it.

Mehdi is not contracted yet. Caps will make him an offer and he can accept or try elsewhere. An attacking mid with a 152k contract and 2 seasons of injuries. Played with Robbo in NY I think.

There are two types of PDL contracts from the Whitecaps. One the player gets paid, one they don't. So the younger ones still in highschool sometimes get paid. The unpaid contract allows a player to play in the league and is covered by insurance. Anybody the Whitecaps want to keep around to see how they progress and not let another team have them is paid. Ben Fisk is under this category. Adekugbe was too before he signed his pro contract last summer. From what I hear there are a few more like this.

Personally, I think it's a detriment to the overall development structure. The PDL side should be kept pure so the NCAA guys can return and play. Any pros should be signed to MLS deals and shipped off to Charleston or whevever our affiliate ends up.

Forcing you to bring in talented young prospects to MLS contracts before they're ready to play MLS is bad, because it gives you an incentive not to sign them. You only get 30 contracts, you can only give so many guys decent money, MLS is too stupid a league for that sort of model to fly. PDL contracts are great. You can still loan them out, as Fisk demonstrated. The few NCAA guys worth tracking like Irving, Rowley, and McKendry aren't really worth overthrowing that advantage for.

The MLS can resolve this whole situation very easily - anyone under 21 doesnt count against the cap or against the 30 contract limit. PDL stays 'pure', contracted players can play MLS, go out on loans, play U-18 - whatever. MLS sides dont' have to choose whether they keep or lose the player at 18.

Except that players on loan don't count toward the 30 limit. Loans are a "method of releasing players."

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

But it introduces roster complications, difficulties keeping below the limit when the USL Pro season ends, etc.

The MLS can resolve this whole situation very easily - anyone under 21 doesnt count against the cap or against the 30 contract limit. PDL stays 'pure', contracted players can play MLS, go out on loans, play U-18 - whatever. MLS sides dont' have to choose whether they keep or lose the player at 18.

Yes. MLS is stupid.

Bingo.

I don't see what the worry would be here? It's not like an MLS team is going to be able to lure top u21 talent from around the world at crazy $ to stack themselves... besides with the allocation process this wouldn't be possible. It would promote teams to use more young talent which will help grow youth set ups and talent in turn, also local fans are going to connect with local players more than foreigners. A roster size of 30 for over 21 players will also add depth for when MLS sides play in the Champions League. It just makes sense from every perspective for the league to adjust.

I like that idea a lot. Hey MLS, take notes!!!

As to Omar, if he doesn't get injured expect him to be the main compliment in attack with Camilo once Miller leaves. He is not the coat rack that he was when he first signed. Lots of body building and filling out plus in the year end tests was the fastest. Yes, big, fast and good touch.

+1

I like this idea, but in a single entity league, the league pays for all wages except DPs. MLS FO is going to cry about increase in wages.

Can we get rid of Omar Salgado yet?

Why? He counts as a domestic. He's counts as an off-budget. He is still only 20. He has a boatload of untapped potential. He is tall and strong. He has good good dribbling and pace. His footy IQ is above average.

He has all the makings of a quality footballer, who should be a heck of an MLS player if he can get past his injuries. Plus the risk of keeping him on the squad is relatively nothing.

EDIT: ESPN reporting Camilo close to deal with MX side

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1893927-mls-rumors-round-up-dom-dwyer-at-sparrows-lane-camilo-to-liga-mx-and-more/page/2

Archived