Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

Preseason.

Expect 2-3 more players in and some leaving, not to mention two of our best forwards (Miller & Manneh) haven't played.

Small note Teibert only played 45 and played as one of the 2 with NRC in a 4-2-3-1. New role for him, don't think you'll see him on the wing with Robinson.

I think playing more in the centre of the pitch will be really good for his game, but it will be a learning curve. He was a bit of a non-factor out there today IMO, in addition to missing the penalty. Fisk played well and seems to be more of a traditional winger than Teibert - attacking, running at defenders, and putting crosses in, as opposed to Teibert, who specializes in using his creativity and passing accuracy to thread the needle.

I agree that it looks like minutes will be again hard to come by for Canadians this year. Early days here though.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Preseason.

Expect 2-3 more players in and some leaving, not to mention two of our best forwards (Miller & Manneh) haven't played.

Small note Teibert only played 45 and played as one of the 2 with NRC in a 4-2-3-1. New role for him, don't think you'll see him on the wing with Robinson.

it's a bit of problem when your 'best' 2 strikers are an old geezer with bum knee who is out of contract in couple of months, and a 19 yr old kid who had maybe 1/4 of good games last season. Lots of potential, but I wouldn't count Manneh as a starter material.

Yeah, this is going to be an interesting season. It's so unclear who the front six are going to be, and how they are going to play. A test for a rookie manager for sure.

As for Teibert, that's always been the issue with him. Good technical skill, great motor, but where does he play? I think that inverted winger position is fine for him, as long as there is a more aggressive attacking winger on the other side.

I like the idea of Teibert centrally, though not in the deep lying role. I prefer in the 4-2-3-1 that Leveron and NRC get a run out there together. As for Teinert, I like him as the inverted winger, but think he would be best in a more central attacking mid role to utilize his distribution and through ball skills.

True wingers would be a great upgrade for this club. You never saw a winger beat a defender wide to the by-line very often, if at all. In a league like MLS most ful backs and central defenders can be exploited in this fashion very effectively. Natural wingers would also result in drawing more fouls in dangerous spots.

So far, the per-season has been as expected with a rookie coach, and incomplete roster. Hopefully, once Robbo cuts some of the dead weight and brings in a few more quality players to fill out the roster. Then we should see some progression in the chemistry and quality on the pitch.

Yeah, this is going to be an interesting season. It's so unclear who the front six are going to be, and how they are going to play. A test for a rookie manager for sure.

As for Teibert, that's always been the issue with him. Good technical skill, great motor, but where does he play? I think that inverted winger position is fine for him, as long as there is a more aggressive attacking winger on the other side.

Inverted winger works for Teibert because there are no other RW in MLS except Mapp who cuts in inside like him, and FBs aren't sure how to defend him.

Yes, he did. Last time I checked he played zero minutes, since he was not on the MLS roster, last season.

Fisk's play basically sums up my post in a nutshell.

Yeah, agreed, not sure what he was doing rotting in Charleston last year, and if they don't sign Fisk after this camp I'll be seriously questioning their sanity.

Random comment... Nicolas Mezquida seems like the real deal. Had a first class volley parried, as well as assisted on the goal with apparent corner delivery ability beyond his years. Also, generally looked dangerous... the second unit looked clearly more successful going forward than the first and he was a big part of that... if Mattocks spent half as much time working on his left foot as on his latest hairdo, his Friday-night "cooking" skills, or his "media relations", the scoreline there could have been a lot different.

Preseason.

My bad. I see now that Sampson took his place in the second half. I'm skeptical about him being effective in front of the defenders. Very skeptical. In fact I think if you want a left-footed hard tackler who can distribute the ball well from DM your man is Leveron. Teibert obviously has the pace and hunger to play somewhat box-to-box, but aren't his offensive skills wasted there?

As you say, preseason. Not Robinson's fault, and forgive me if I sound like a western grizzly, but I'm not seeing a side markedly different in personnel (or results) from the one that wasn't good enough last year. I expect a tough learning curve for the first half of the season or so. I'm also not that excited about Manneh and Miller; one is about six months in to his pro career and one has about six months left - to rely too heavily on either (let alone both) is a huge roll of the dice.

My bad. I see now that Sampson took his place in the second half. I'm skeptical about him being effective in front of the defenders. Very skeptical. In fact I think if you want a left-footed hard tackler who can distribute the ball well from DM your man is Leveron. Teibert obviously has the pace and hunger to play somewhat box-to-box, but aren't his offensive skills wasted there?

Teibert needs to get on the ball in an area of the pitch where he can use his long range passing ability. He hit Harvey three times in the left attacking corner from the centre of the pitch. I was impressed with him, and Robbo seemed to be as well. Not every DM needs to be a great tackler, particularly when he'll be paired with NRC or Koffie. Both DeGuzman brothers are horrible at it, and they've made a fair chunk of change in the professional game.

Teibert needs to get on the ball in an area of the pitch where he can use his long range passing ability. He hit Harvey three times in the left attacking corner from the centre of the pitch. I was impressed with him, and Robbo seemed to be as well. Not every DM needs to be a great tackler, particularly when he'll be paired with NRC or Koffie. Both DeGuzman brothers are horrible at it, and they've made a fair chunk of change in the professional game.

In his prime I wouldn't say De Guzman was a "tackler" as you might imagine it but he was definitely a ball winner. There were matches when he would dominate any ball on the floor in the centre of the park.

Teibert isn't a defensive midfielder I'm confident in saying that. I think he would be best suited as a central attacking midfielder if you move him off the wing. Remember watching him at 18 come on for the second half vs. TFC in 2011 V's Cup final at that position and he was decent. Russ has quick feet and great technique but isn't great one v one for whatever reason.

Teibert was the best Whitecap on the day, although he badly missed a penalty to start the second of three 30-minute periods.

“He was great,” Robinson said of Teibert. “He was lively. He wanted the ball all the time. He was dropping deep, he was spraying passes.

“Obviously, the penalty, there’s not a lot you can say about that.”

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/02/09/whitecaps-fitness-patience-upgrades-needed/?postpost=v2#content

I actually can't remember too many times in that game, apart from quick breaks, where the Caps effectively moved the ball, and retained possession, up the pitch without Teibert making the key pass to relieve the pressure. I agree with Robinson in that he sprayed the ball nicely to both flanks. However, the amount of times that Teibert showed for a pass and was bypassed or ignored, sending the ball to an isolated Hurtado 1v4 was worrisome. Is this a lack of trust in Teibert by our back four or a reluctance or inability to play Robinson's possession game at this point in preseason? Either way, the Caps inability to possess the ball effectively, anywhere on the pitch apart from our back 4 is what worries me the most.

I can see Teibert being effective in this role. Nobody on the team can cover as much ground as he does. He'll run markers into the ground, and he seems to be able to find the pass more often than our other options. Koffie and Reo C both retain possession far better with the ball at their feet, but often don't move the ball as quickly or effectively as Teibert does. Hopefully Russell will become a more effective ball winner when his positioning and comfort in the position improve. This is yet another new role for the kid.

The passing didn't look so crisp out there yesterday. I'm not sure who was playing the holding role, but he was pretty frequently screaming for the ball or remonstrating with his teammates for not using him as an easy option. Everything was getting suck in the channels and that made it very hard to move the ball into the final third.

I actually can't remember too many times in that game, apart from quick breaks, where the Caps effectively moved the ball, and retained possession, up the pitch without Teibert making the key pass to relieve the pressure. I agree with Robinson in that he sprayed the ball nicely to both flanks. However, the amount of times that Teibert showed for a pass and was bypassed or ignored, sending the ball to an isolated Hurtado 1v4 was worrisome. Is this a lack of trust in Teibert by our back four or a reluctance or inability to play Robinson's possession game at this point in preseason? Either way, the Caps inability to possess the ball effectively, anywhere on the pitch apart from our back 4 is what worries me the most.

I can see Teibert being effective in this role. Nobody on the team can cover as much ground as he does. He'll run markers into the ground, and he seems to be able to find the pass more often than our other options. Koffie and Reo C both retain possession far better with the ball at their feet, but often don't move the ball as quickly or effectively as Teibert does. Hopefully Russell will become a more effective ball winner when his positioning and comfort in the position improve. This is yet another new role for the kid.

Russell is playing DM, in my opinion, since Robbo has his heart set on bringing in a proven number 10 form overseas, and since he is reluctant to play RT out wide, it leaves really no where else for Teibert on the pitch. I could see Russell moving into the attacking mid role if Robbo fails in bringing in a natural, proven #10.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2014/02/12/4613483/martin-macmahon-whitecaps-on-the-bubble

Good preseason talk on the bubble players.

Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, it's hard for me to see m/any of the young Canadians getting minutes in the league this season.

I predict that a few will leave in the next week or two. There's gonna be a Petrasso in there too, I'm afraid. Hope Fisk and the teenagers all stick around, personally.

I would disagree that Froese isn't ready for first team minutes. I also don't think Bustos will leave if/when he's not signed. My prediction is that Alderson, Fisk, and Froese are all in the 30 come March 8. Bustos will stay with the residency for one more year. Jackson Farmer was not mentioned, but I think he is on the bubble more than anyone. Hard to see them carrying 6 CBs, though the club has also said they won't be sending Residency guys to Charleston. I can't see him just sticking around with the U23s once the USSDA season is done.

Well, if Robbo doesn't bring Alderson, Fisk, Froese and Bustos in the 'Caps system serious questions will be asked about him and his honesty and sincerity about incorporating the skilled kids in the system.

One or two could see a loan spell, hopefully a short one. Main loan candidates would have to be Diouf, Abdallah, Lewis. All probably see little action and all 3 take up International spots. Would be a nice way to make room for more Internationals if they are available and less players competing the Candian kids for first team minutes. Win-Win.

Not sure how much longer Fisk will accept a PDL contract, he is turning 21 this year. Froese and Bustos are talented, if they remain un-signed they could make the jump to Europe when they turn 18 later this year.

He now seems to be consistently listed as a '94. I'm not sure, but I think maybe his alter ego from Washington State made him a '93 from some sources.

Residency Kids: I could see some of the residency kids getting signed and loaned to leagues other than USL, as was done with Clarke. I think the main problem with USL for the residency kids is that (I imagine) it doesn't offer a high enough training standard to be a positive impact on their development. It's probably a better option for draftees or fringe players that just need game time, not development. If they signed Frose or Bustos or especially Farmer I think NASL is a good option for a loan. I especially think Farmer is ready, as he seems to have the physical tools and athleticism to play at the MLS level, which makes it such a shame that they are so deep at CB... that being said however, if the Caps are serious about their "youth development" rhetoric they simply must sign this type of player and find meaningful minutes and development opportunities for him somewhere. He seems to be rated possibly even higher than Stenese was, who's currently seeing regular minutes against men in a quality league for Ausgberg II... IMO letting Farmer go would be criminal neglect of the residency system, I don't care how many CB's are on the Sr. roster currently. An eye to the future would be nice, as Mitchelle hasn't shown great consistency and our 2 veteran CBs are likely retired or not starting material in 1-2yrs max.

Fisk: I think Fisk is honestly one of our best true (not converted) wingers... I think it would be a waste to send him anywhere, as I think we could use him on the first team. My gut feeling is that if he doesn't sign it will be because they don't feel ready to trust him with first team minutes, and I'm sure he wouldn't be too interested in being tied down to a contract that limited his options if that wasn't the case.

Aminu Abdallah: cut his ass.

Alderson: An NASL loan move could be a good option if he's interested, which he might not be... perhaps to Ottawa, where Dos Santos has a lot of experience with youth players and looks to be putting assembling a young, skilled core group of players. (same goes for Bustos and Froese)

Lewis: I don't think loaning him is a feasible idea... he's currently being loaned from the Cosmos, so wouldn't make much sense to do a loan within a loan. My guess is he spends the first half of the season in the gym, and then fights for 1st team minutes after that.

Thomas: hope he signs, not confident he will. He's one that actually could benefit from a loan move to USL, but only if the team was actually willing to play him this time!

Archived