Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is his agent has lied/misled Camilo about his contract status and now has him in the frame of mind that he is leaving the club. Now, regardless of the true contract status Camilo will ask for a transfer and even if he is unsuccessful now it will precipitate a move no later than next year. Why do i say this? Because the agent gets much less money if Camilo re-signs with the Caps on a DP contract then he does if a transfer is paid and a new contract signed with the Mexican club.

We'll see. As far as we know it could be all mind games, the agent could know that Camilo is under contract but plead ignorance and lead Queretaro on in the hopes of MLS throwing a DP deal at Camilo. Mexican clubs aren't known to pay high fees for transfers, but they do dish out nice contracts. Camilo is definitely a Caps player and I'll be VERY surprised if he moves to Queretaro this window (or any really). With one year remaining you can bet the Caps and Camilo have been in negotiations, this could be a case of the agent making a point.

If he does leave, does this open up an opportunity for Caleb Clarke to snatch some minutes?

Salgado, Mattocks, Manneh, Hurtado & Clarke would all be in the running plus whatever others they may draft or trade for.

I like others think it is an agent playing the "other people are willing to pay my client a lot more than you" game. I'm hoping Camilo signs a nice long DP contract with Vancouver (and gets Canadian citizenship, leads us to the WC in 2018, etc, etc)

If they're ever going to move Camilo this might be the year to do it. Sell high. He's a good player but he isn't likely to repeat this level of performance; nobody is.

I'm in favour of keeping him. I'm just saying.

I agree with you.

I would have thought the destination would have been a little more glamorous than the Mexican club mentioned. Maybe this is just my ignorance, but how much could that type of team possibly pay in terms of a fee? If we are only talking $1-2 million, I would think the value to the caps or other teams within MLS would be more than that.

The whole idea of selling a young talented player who just won the golden boot is ludicrous. Any money you do get will have to be shelled out in an attempt to get a golden boot level player who can replace the one you just sold. Given the hit or miss nature of DPs why not just keep him? Is Miller at $1 million really worth more than Camilo? Robson? Jarju? Hasli? Miller and Hasli were good players but neither has produced like Camilo.

Camilo is the best deal the Caps have EVER got in the entire history of the club. To let him go for a transfer of a million or even two is silly.

The whole idea of selling a young talented player who just won the golden boot is ludicrous. Any money you do get will have to be shelled out in an attempt to get a golden boot level player who can replace the one you just sold. Given the hit or miss nature of DPs why not just keep him? Is Miller at $1 million really worth more than Camilo? Robson? Jarju? Hasli? Miller and Hasli were good players but neither has produced like Camilo.

Camilo is the best deal the Caps have EVER got in the entire history of the club. To let him go for a transfer of a million or even two is silly.

Yeah, if camilo is going the transfer fee better be higher than 2mil, I think he could push 4-5m for a transfer fee.

Caps broke even last year, it's possible if they project less revenue that selling Camilo makes sense. Cut salary and get a nice transfer fee, of course if Camilo is gone then the caps will probably be one of the worst teams in MLS next season.

Caps broke even last year, it's possible if they project less revenue that selling Camilo makes sense. Cut salary and get a nice transfer fee, of course if Camilo is gone then the caps will probably be one of the worst teams in MLS next season.

But at least those kids will get that playing time everyone has moaned about...

But at least those kids will get that playing time everyone has moaned about...

Playing the kids is the mantra of every sports fan on ever team. The idea of the unknown is better than the known. In short if you were to play all the kids, you would have the worst team in the league.

Playing the kids is the mantra of every sports fan on ever team. The idea of the unknown is better than the known. In short if you were to play all the kids, you would have the worst team in the league.

You can't win anything with kids!

Yeah, if camilo is going the transfer fee better be higher than 2mil, I think he could push 4-5m for a transfer fee.

I don't think so because the transfer fee is (largely) based on his current contract, which is only one year at a very reasonable price. I don't think he can be sold for over 1 mil (to another league I mean). Any interested club would let him know and they'd get him for free in one year or at a reduced fee in half a year.

Tmcmurph is spot-on: you can't find 22 goals for one mil if you sell him. Heck, even if it's a bad season he'll prob nett more than 15 goals which still is a lot more than any other Whitecaps DP has ever produced.

And it's also about rewarding someone. He's earned that DP contract but if he doesn't get it, he'll be playing with Robnson and prob some other DP who performs less but gets payed more. I think you should always try to make sure the most important players are happy.

I don't think so because the transfer fee is (largely) based on his current contract, which is only one year at a very reasonable price. I don't think he can be sold for over 1 mil (to another league I mean). Any interested club would let him know and they'd get him for free in one year or at a reduced fee in half a year.

If that is how the transfer market worked than half of the current transfers would either not be made or would be made at a fraction of the current transfer fees.

If that is how the transfer market worked than half of the current transfers would either not be made or would be made at a fraction of the current transfer fees.

Yeah, was gonna say. As much as what shamrock says is logical. I cannot find any evidence that any transfer has ever worked like that in the last decade in world football. Players go for all sorta of insane figures that have nothing to with the players current salary or contract, rather than clause withing the contract such as buy outs and such. I seem to see more transfer figures that reflect a players perceived value than actual value.

Yes, what shamrock is forgetting is that when there is demand for a player it causes competition for the player among prospective buyers.

Sure, a club could tell a player to wait and they'll sign him on a Bosman, but then they risk losing him to another club who is willing to pony up the transfer fee and get him now. Not everyone is rational.

The notion of the transfer fee is simply a deal between the two clubs to break the players contract. In theory, if the contract is longer it may take more money, but that doesn't always work out that way. The player can ultimately decide to not go, even after the deal is agreed between clubs(YP Lee to Dortmund), so really, less of a sale and more of a buyout.

Pfff, 80-90 % of transfers happen on the Bosman-clause anyway. Most clubs in the world don't have the cash to buy any sort of player. You guys only read about the big money transfers. Fact is only Premier League-sides (who get lot's of TV money) and German Bundesliga-clubs (who are virtually all financially sound) and 2 clubs in Spain can afford to buy practically any player. And even those clubs prefer geting players yound and cheap (raiding young prospects from all over the world for free).

And another thing. For a player, going on the Bosman-clause is always beter, because then he can get some signing money. Whereas if the club has to buy off his contract first, the player doesn't get any or reduced signing money. Lewandowski is going to Bayern for free, half a year ago they were willing to pay 25 mil to buy-off his contract. Now he'll prob get a beter salary and a nice some of cash to start with.

It never ceases to amaze me how much Americans and Canadians overestimate the strength of MLS. Or let me put it more gentle, overestimate the image of MLS. Yes there have been succesful transfers, but only few if you think about it. And even then they usually need a step in between (Netherlands, Championship, Second Bundesliga) before they can go to the big leagues.

22 goals in the US doesn't say al that much to a Premier League side.

Not with a starting 11 full of them, no.

That flew way over your head me thinks...

Anyways back to Camilo, not that soccerway and transfermarkt are anymore reliable than wikipedia, but both websites have Camilo listed as a Querétaro player.

I don't think Camilo's agent is very smart. How does the player decline the club's option? LOL.

This is a shot in the dark, but I am guessing they are going to attack the legality of some of MLS's contract terms, such as non-guaranteed contracts or multiple one year options. This has been brought up in the past but nobody has been in a position to challenge the way he is currently.

Archived