Vancouver Whitecaps 2014 Roster Thread

tmcmurph

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually excited by all the If's we have. 'Caps have some young talent they are gonna throw into the deep end this year it seems: Leveron, Teibert, Fisk, Manneh, Mattocks, Koffie, Salgado, Adekudge, Lewis, Fernandez, Mezquinda. Full year from Ousted should help solidify our back 4, along with Beitashour. Who is gonna step up in the forward group? No one is going to reach Camilo's level of 22 one would wager, but its not unconcievable that Mattocks, Miller, Manneh could score close tot he 36 goals that Camilo, Miller and Manneh put up last year. Mattocks and Manneh with the playing time should get up to and over 10 goals and so should a healthy Miller. Add in what a healthy Salgado can do, which nobody knows. We might be alright in the goals department. Plus Teibert should improve on his goal tally from last year one would guess. A team that scores by committee is better suited for a playoff run as well.

The luxury of Camilo's free kick ability will be missed, but I don't think it is gonna impact us on the field in terms of results. It could take away some GOTW candidates. I am in the opinion that even with Camilo taking free kicks last year we were not very good at dead ball situations. Overall, we need a new philosophy to taking free kicks. I would like to see more tactical free kicks employed to try and create more havoc and chaos in the oppositions box. More layoffs, and low driven shots to get players and the ball moving around in the box.

No and neither has anyone else. PROVEN. To say we have no one PROVEN is a fact. Unless you can cite FKs taken and goals scored from them stats for the new comers? Didn't think so. Anyone else on the team? Didn't think so? So until the season starts and someone does we have nobody PROVEN in the way that Camilo was. That IMHO is a glaring hole.

Yes, 100,000's of people have seen Fernández & Mezquida take free kicks - In Uruguay and Peru, which would include the scouts and coaches of the Caps, so they are a known commodity and the team has a very good idea of their quality, even if you don't.

I dont need to provide anything to prove anything because I'm not claiming anything. I have no idea if they are good at free kicks or not and neither do you, which is why I said you're a bit silly in making definitive assumptions like "nobody" or "nobody proven".

I'm actually excited by all the If's we have. 'Caps have some young talent they are gonna throw into the deep end this year it seems: Leveron, Teibert, Fisk, Manneh, Mattocks, Koffie, Salgado, Adekudge, Lewis, Fernandez, Mezquinda. Full year from Ousted should help solidify our back 4, along with Beitashour. Who is gonna step up in the forward group? No one is going to reach Camilo's level of 22 one would wager, but its not unconcievable that Mattocks, Miller, Manneh could score close tot he 36 goals that Camilo, Miller and Manneh put up last year. Mattocks and Manneh with the playing time should get up to and over 10 goals and so should a healthy Miller. Add in what a healthy Salgado can do, which nobody knows. We might be alright in the goals department. Plus Teibert should improve on his goal tally from last year one would guess. A team that scores by committee is better suited for a playoff run as well.

The luxury of Camilo's free kick ability will be missed, but I don't think it is gonna impact us on the field in terms of results. It could take away some GOTW candidates. I am in the opinion that even with Camilo taking free kicks last year we were not very good at dead ball situations. Overall, we need a new philosophy to taking free kicks. I would like to see more tactical free kicks employed to try and create more havoc and chaos in the oppositions box. More layoffs, and low driven shots to get players and the ball moving around in the box.

Spot on!

The problem is that you have to ride young players through highs and lows. It seems like every spot outside of the defence has three players competing for it. I would like to see the 'caps decide who they think their players are and then try and trade the rest for an experienced striker or other assets. The team will fail if their are musical chair spots for the young players like there was with Hurtado, Hertzon, Manneh, Wason and Teibert all getting sporadic runs on the wings of the 4-3-3.

Case in point: with the 4-2-3-1, Reo-Coker will be taking up one of the spots, with Koffie, Alderson, Teibert, Watson, Kafari and Froese competing for the other. At some point this season, Robinson is going to have to figure out who in that group is worth starting every game and moving forward with.

Wait am I missing something? Why are we talking about Teibert as a DM?

Has he been playing there in pre-season?

I don't follow the caps as closely as others around here, but I would think Teibert would be best suited for either a central attacking mid role, or playing on the right flank where he can cut in on his right foot. I guess he has the vision to play as a deep lying playmaker, but I think Koffie and NRC are best suited to shield the back four, so how would Teibert fit in? He is too good to keep on the bench.

Wait am I missing something? Why are we talking about Teibert as a DM?

Has he been playing there in pre-season?

I don't follow the caps as closely as others around here, but I would think Teibert would be best suited for either a central attacking mid role, or playing on the right flank where he can cut in on his right foot. I guess he has the vision to play as a deep lying playmaker, but I think Koffie and NRC are best suited to shield the back four, so how would Teibert fit in? He is too good to keep on the bench.

Yes, Teibert will be lining up as a DM this year it would seem and as for NRC and Koffie back there it gives us nothing going forward from deep midfield. Teibert should help connect the forwards and defense. Oh, and Kobayashi is now training in New England.

I didn't like Teibert on the Right Flank personally it isolates him, and his distribution. With a RT and NRC/Koffie combo you have a ball winner alongside a playmaker. I agree with you that he could be successful in a more attacking role centrally, but all signs are pointing to Robbo bringing in a quality #10 to fill that role, and since Teibert is not a winger he inevitably slips down to the DM role to become the engine in the middle of the pitch that will be the main outlet for counter and offensive buildup. Koffie has sorta fallen off the radar a bit, he has not been brought up in many starting XI talks early on, so far.

On a side note, Kwambe and Thomas are done their trials and have not signed, and Ramirez and Farmer are off to Charleston and looks like Diouf and Abdallah will join them once there visas arrive.

Yes, Teibert will be lining up as a DM this year it would seem and as for NRC and Koffie back there it gives us nothing going forward from deep midfield. Teibert should help connect the forwards and defense. Oh, and Kobayashi is now training in New England.

I didn't like Teibert on the Right Flank personally it isolates him, and his distribution. With a RT and NRC/Koffie combo you have a ball winner alongside a playmaker. I agree with you that he could be successful in a more attacking role centrally, but all signs are pointing to Robbo bringing in a quality #10 to fill that role, and since Teibert is not a winger he inevitably slips down to the DM role to become the engine in the middle of the pitch that will be the main outlet for counter and offensive buildup. Koffie has sorta fallen off the radar a bit, he has not been brought up in many starting XI talks early on, so far.

On a side note, Kwambe and Thomas are done their trials and have not signed, and Ramirez and Farmer are off to Charleston and looks like Diouf and Abdallah will join them once there visas arrive.

He is playing as 1 of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 formation along side NRC, 'DM' isn't a true description of the position he's playing. Formations are more relevant when a team is defending and are only as rigid as the coach makes them moving forward. In Robbo's case he gives them a lot of freedom with the ball and RT has free reign to get up field. Robbo specifically talked about using RT engine to get up and down - Box to box is probably the best description.

If you want a comparison from the Premiership, think of Jordan Henderson's role when he plays as 1 of the 2 at Liverpool.

With a proper #10 it should make the Caps more dangerous from central midfield. Itll be interesting to see how he handles the defensive responsibilities though.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/02/caps-portland-rose-city-invitational

News and notes:

- Residency players Marco Bustos, Kianz Froese, Mitch Piraux and Nolan Wirth will play in the Whitecaps FC Residency U-18 match Saturday in Portland. They will remain with the first team in Portland until Friday, February 28, when they will return to Vancouver in advance of a pair of weekend Residency home matches.

- Aminu Abdallah and Mamadou Diouf will remain in Vancouver until receipt of their visas.

- Jackson Farmer and Marlon Ramirez have stayed in Vancouver while Whitecaps FC and USL PRO affiliate Charleston Battery coordinate the loan paperwork.

- Midfielder Daigo Kobayashi, whose MLS rights are held by Whitecaps FC, is currently training with New England Revolution.

- Right back Solomon Kwambe and goalkeeper Simon Thomas have both completed their training camp invites.

How come Whitecaps have MLS Rights to Kobayashi? Didn't he originally sign 1year deal? So a player cant just move like a free agent within MLS?

Thomas and Kwambe "completed their training camp invites"....meaning what they have been cut?

Well takeaways from the Portmore game. The Uruguayans should be fun to watch, they link up nicely together. Teibert could very well be a dominating box to box midfeilder this season, though he was moved late back out to the right flank (due to a Hurtado cramp) and immediately snagged an assist and a goal. Beitashour looked good crossing in the ball every chance he got, him and Harvey look like they will be push far up the field.

Some worries would be the finishing of Mattocks, who missed some glaring opportunities; however, he did move the ball well and worked hard, so some positives. I also wasn't too impressed by DeMerit, though AOB was sturdy in the centre. Harvey scored two goals and anything to keep him in the starting lineup is sure to upset many supporters, ha.

The 4-2-3-1 seems to suit our players and the quick passing scheme and possession heavy strategy looks to suit this group of players well.

I thought Russell had a very strong game at mid but was most effective when he drifted out right. Then he moved out there and like you said promptly got a goal and assist. Maybe it is the players he is linking up with on the right? Last year YP Lee and this year Beitashour are very good right backs to play off of.

Carducci didn't get tested and his long passes were rather poor but he is 17 so getting any minutes is a great thing. I'm pretty sure that is why Thomas was not resigned. Now we'll have to see if he can work his way into the backup role over the next 3 years.

All said it was a good warm up game against an inferior side playing with 10 men for 75 minutes. The first half had me a bit worried but the second went as I was expecting.

The Uruguayans should be fun to watch, they link up nicely together.

I don't think I was as impressed by them as others were. Like David Norman Sr. I jus thought they had a good game, but not great.

I would agree that Teibert was outstanding. I'd like to see him keep to one position, but his versatility is a nice bonus.

Wednesday should provide a more interesting game with the likes of Bustos and Fisk expected to play. I haven't seen as much of them as I would like. Sad to hear Fisk probably won't be getting a contract.

I don't think I was as impressed by them as others were. Like David Norman Sr. I jus thought they had a good game, but not great.

I would agree that Teibert was outstanding. I'd like to see him keep to one position, but his versatility is a nice bonus.

Wednesday should provide a more interesting game with the likes of Bustos and Fisk expected to play. I haven't seen as much of them as I would like. Sad to hear Fisk probably won't be getting a contract.

I never said they were great, but you definitely saw the potential between them. I think the fact they were even attempting passes and plays like that this early in preseason is quite a positive sign.

Where are you hearing the Fisk news, it would be a real mistake not to have him on the roster.

Where are you hearing the Fisk news, it would be a real mistake not to have him on the roster.

That's just what I gather from the talk from those closer to the team like Pete Schaad and Marc Weber. It just sounds like Manneh, Salgaldo, the Uruguayan, and Fisk are all competing for time on the left flank, with Fisk the most likely to be left out.

I know Fisk doesn't just want a contract. He wants to be sure he's in the game day 18, otherwise he'd rather develop with another club.

That's just what I gather from the talk from those closer to the team like Pete Schaad and Marc Weber. It just sounds like Manneh, Salgaldo, the Uruguayan, and Fisk are all competing for time on the left flank, with Fisk the most likely to be left out.

I know Fisk doesn't just want a contract. He wants to be sure he's in the game day 18, otherwise he'd rather develop with another club.

I get Fisk not wanting to waste a year in the stands; however, I don't see Salgado and Manneh out left. Both are better suited centrally and with only shaky Mattocks, 3-4 months of Miller, and Mezquida. Fisk should have a good shot at minutes on the wing.

Can't rmbr WHERE I read it but someone here posted a comment that after the draft fiasco (Cosmos "stealing" our player) Robo, Lenarduzzi, a few others and LABA were sitting at same table having a meal. And they did mention LABA coming to Vancouver.

^ You're going to enjoy him Caps fans. Wish we could have found a way to keep him. Maybe a loan for Fisk in exchange? : )

I'd love for a guy like Fisk to get an honest shot somewhere other than USL this season.

After thinking for a minute the Laba move looks like a vote of no confidence in Koffie as much as an "offer you can't refuse" kind of deal.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/archive/index.php/t-34955-p-18.html

POSTED BY:

IVY --- 01-17-2014, 07:27 PM

Some food for thought, I came across this comment from a Caps fan on mlssoccer.com. Doesn't seem too credible in my opinion, but who knows.

"Last night my buddy called me from TO--he's there for business.

Anyway, he's sitting in Gretzky's, all by his lonesome and lo and behold, he's looking straight at a table across from him with Robo, Bobby, young Greg "the Cap" Anderson with Laba!

As I shared with my new friends in TO on another TFC-specific thread, it looked like Bobby was doing all the talking--kind of all desperate like--but Laba kept shaking his head. Not nodding up and down, but shaking his head like saying, no way gringo. Anyway, buddy tells me that for the entire hour and a half of dinner theatre, Robo didn't touch his food at all and looked like a man beginning to realize that Vancouver has just swapped places with TFC as Canada's favourite football circus.

Now honestly folks, there's no way TFC's gonna be able to hold on to Laba. I'm saying right here today that Laba is headed west to Vancouver. And when that happens, don't let Bobby or young Greg draw up the papers because they'll probably sign someone up called Labia!

Man, I hope there's some good news for us soon."

Laba was probably shaking his head because he couldn't understand a single word this guy was saying. No speakah English sir.

on second thought, this is good. They can take Laba and pay as the remainder of the transfer fee in allocation. Then Laba will just come back and play in Toronto (that's apparently the thing to do in Vancouver nowadays)

Salgado might, even after 2 years of zero impact, still be a better prospect than Fisk, but for my money Fisk is a better pure winger. If he doesn't sign with the Caps that's a shame, and my guess is we'll might see him off to Europe somewhere, as the Caps would still control his MLS rights and this plus his Canadian passport would hamper his efforts to sign elsewhere in MLS.

Laba's addition strengthens our midfield, but it will likely come much to the chagrin and dismay of Bryce Alderson. He's now in competition with Koffie, Watson, and Teibert (and perhaps even Abdallah) for playing time scraps behind NRC and Laba. As for NRC, his fitness is kinda shocking for a guy that apparently got a serious raise over the offseason... jury is still out if that was money well spent.

The problem I have with the caps approach to player acquisitions and development is that they seem to trade to fill holes rather than grooming players from within. If you look at a team like RSL or now SKC they will develop a player until the veteran starter in front of him becomes replaceable and then that player moves on (often via trade/sale as an asset), and the cycle starts over. The Cap's have thus far failed to institute this kind of "conveyer-belt" system, and their current strategy seems to be better described as "whack a mole". This leads to a lack of asset maximization.

The problem is however, that in order to implement a "conveyer-belt" system of grooming talent, the team has to play a consistent tactical style over an extended period of time, with players having a defined role within that system. The Caps haven't had the tactical or managerial stability to do this.

I bring this up because, while the addition of Laba on loan may seem like good business in the here and now, it is sure to have costed us some coin, and it prevents the "grooming" of players already on the roster for the position, which I think is a better strategy in the long run.

Put simply, the Caps have thus far always been "buyers" within MLS, rather than "sellers", and this IMO is poor asset management.

Perhaps Robo brings this approach and stability, but so far, seems to be same old same old.

Seems like a nice bit of business. Does anyone know how many roster spots we have left. International slots?

How do we line up now?

2 spots left if we sign the 2 non-GA drafts. 4 if we don't. 11 international spots currently.

If Laba is as good as he is billed we could go with a 4-1 on the back instead of the 4-2. That gives us the option of 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2.

Ousted

Beitashour --- O'Brien --- DeMerit --- Harvey

Laba

Teibert --- Reo-Coker --- Manneh

Miller ---- Salgado

We could also drop Miller into midfield in the 4-1-4-1 and let them make runs for Salgado to flick onto.

The other question I have is do we still get another DP or attacking mid? Is this it for our DP signings until Miller is gone?

2 spots left if we sign the 2 non-GA drafts. 4 if we don't. 11 international spots currently.

If Laba is as good as he is billed we could go with a 4-1 on the back instead of the 4-2. That gives us the option of 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2.

Ousted

Beitashour --- O'Brien --- DeMerit --- Harvey

Laba

Teibert --- Reo-Coker --- Manneh

Miller ---- Salgado

We could also drop Miller into midfield in the 4-1-4-1 and let them make runs for Salgado to flick onto.

The other question I have is do we still get another DP or attacking mid? Is this it for our DP signings until Miller is gone?

The options for the starting XI now are abundant, maybe too many for a rookie coach to play around with. Hopefully, he can find a stable group of XVIII and formation to stick with through the season.

Not sure I like the idea of Coker playing in a more advanced role. His finishing is non-existent and as much as I like his play-making and ball-winning it is better suited for a deep-lying role. My projected XI as of now would be:

Manneh

Fernandez-Incoming#10-Teibert

Laba-ReoCoker

Harvey-O'Brien-Leveron-Beitashour

Ousted

Archived