What nations would your kids be eligible for?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to deviate from the main track for a bit got me thinking.

These ancestor rules must apply only to biological parents no? Say my parents divorce (not possible, catholic. Separation followed by divorce? Oh, nay, nay. A funeral followed by a trial to end the marriage? Much more likely) and my Mum went on and married some foreign chap, say Antonio Bandares, my siblings & I along with our spawn wouldn't suddenly become eligible for Spain would we?

Just to deviate from the main track for a bit got me thinking.

These ancestor rules must apply only to biological parents no? Say my parents divorce (not possible, catholic. Separation followed by divorce? Oh, nay, nay. A funeral followed by a trial to end the marriage? Much more likely) and my Mum went on and married some foreign chap, say Antonio Bandares, my siblings & I along with our spawn wouldn't suddenly become eligible for Spain would we?

Ancestor rules apply to adopted children as well, though i think it might only apply to minors and not middle aged men ;)

My kids - Canada, Northern Ireland, Ireland (never!), United States, Australia, New Zealand, England and (in about a year) Hong Kong.

The first 5 come from me, the next two from my wife and the last the place of residence.

I win!

Edit: I forgot, perhaps Italy as well due to a grandparent.

Me: Canada, as well as Germany, Ukraine, Hungary and Scotland (with sufficient work done to sort out historical genealogical documentation)!

My kids: Canada, Bosnia as well as Croatia I believe (my in-laws identify as Croatian but were born in what is now known as Bosnia), and additionally Germany (again with sufficient work done to get the required paperwork).

Archived