JDG2 back in picture

Let's be honest.. do we even know he was receiving offers?? I doubt it really, Spanish managers were right in viewing him as a foreigner who was damaged goods. Well played on their part.

There is absolutely no basis for that comment, and no truth in it. He was in contact with Osasuna, in a serious way, and with Espanyol. At least, I forget the others. I think Getafe was also looking at him. Español did not take him for only one reason: he is a foreigner and has no EU status, and they had a Serbian player named Lola on the team they could not get rid of, he took up their non-EU slot.

He also had EPL interest, which I could look back on, and I do not doubt.

If you want to insist on throwing out the speculation I can ask an Espanyol scout I know personally.

The real point is that he would have been offered a good half a million or maybe up to 600-700 thousand euros, good money, but still not as good as the TFC contract. The TFC contract outbids anything that could possibly appear in Spain for him by about 30%, so he went for it, which was the right thing to do economically. They simply offered him an unnecessary amount, they could have gotten away with 300 thousand CDN less and probably still have convinced him. If TFC had only a million to offer him I suspect he would have stayed in Europe on a similar contract financially, as his career options would have taken priority in the decision.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You got it a bit confused, he left Feyenoord on a free to Mallorca. The a year later Mallorca sold him for a rumour 8.5mill Euro.

You are absolutely right, I got the two confused. I think he went for 8 million in the end as he renounced what Mallorca owed him. Still was and is a major move for him, Villareal is just hurting with a few player losses like Cazorla and other greats ageing like Senna, maybe not enough squad to handle the pressure of Champions this time round. But for sure they will be back, I bet next season they are in an UEFA spot at least as the club is very sound financially and has a great academy and 2nd team.

You are absolutely right, I got the two confused. I think he went for 8 million in the end as he renounced what Mallorca owed him. Still was and is a major move for him, Villareal is just hurting with a few player losses like Cazorla and other greats ageing like Senna, maybe not enough squad to handle the pressure of Champions this time round. But for sure they will be back, I bet next season they are in an UEFA spot at least as the club is very sound financially and has a great academy and 2nd team.

Surely have to agree with this, Villarreal will not get relegated, and can even finish mid table this season. They are in 17th now, but have tied Sevilla and Barca in there last two fixtures, and are only 4 points behind 10th placed Getafe. Who knows, if they get on a nice run a UEFA spot is not out of the question. Athletico Madrid (7th) are only 7 points up on the Yellow Submarine.

But for me, Jono has to get more minutes. I doubt he would want to transfer out, but perhaps they would loan him out. He has been wasting on the bench as of late.

Surely have to agree with this, Villarreal will not get relegated, and can even finish mid table this season. They are in 17th now, but have tied Sevilla and Barca in there last two fixtures, and are only 4 points behind 10th placed Getafe. Who knows, if they get on a nice run a UEFA spot is not out of the question. Athletico Madrid (7th) are only 7 points up on the Yellow Submarine.

But for me, Jono has to get more minutes. I doubt he would want to transfer out, but perhaps they would loan him out. He has been wasting on the bench as of late.

Wouldn't that just be our luck that Jono gets Fifa clearance to play for us after sitting on the bench for the second half of the season and is out of form for the key matches we really need him? If he doesn't get Fifa approval for us I could care less about his club situation unless he was transferring to MLS!

You know, I've been holding my sentiments for far too long, just because I fear that you guys would try to degrade me and brand me as a troll. But I can't!!! Not any longer!!! As a PROUD CANADIAN il me fait mal de voir how you guys glorify a f ing traitor whom denounces his Canadian citizenship and show complete disrespect to us just because he thought he had a chance with Pays Bas. Now that it is evident to him that he won't make their senior team, he is trying to come back to us and the majority of you guys are taking it just like that. After he spat in our face. If we have no sense of pride how do you think futur players will treat us.. We have to make a stand to guys like these.Those of us with the true GREAT WHITE NORTH Pride should stand together and tell JDG2 to go F off. Canada is not some fat chick with low self esteem that you can f with at will. Then you leave for a pretty girl only for her to piss in your face. Now you want to run back to the easy lay... Go F yourself JDG2. You confused swine. If JDG2 should ever play for US, I will never attend a game with him on the pitch. Wheew. je me suis laisse aller mais ca me fait de biens d'avoir s'en debarasser...

You know, I've been holding my sentiments for far too long, just because I fear that you guys would try to degrade me and brand me as a troll. But I can't!!! Not any longer!!! As a PROUD CANADIAN il me fait mal de voir how you guys glorify a f ing traitor whom denounces his Canadian citizenship and show complete disrespect to us just because he thought he had a chance with Pays Bas. Now that it is evident to him that he won't make their senior team, he is trying to come back to us and the majority of you guys are taking it just like that. After he spat in our face. If we have no sense of pride how do you think futur players will treat us.. We have to make a stand to guys like these.Those of us with the true GREAT WHITE NORTH Pride should stand together and tell JDG2 to go F off. Canada is not some fat chick with low self esteem that you can f with at will. Then you leave for a pretty girl only for her to piss in your face. Now you want to run back to the easy lay... Go F yourself JDG2. You confused swine. If JDG2 should ever play for US, I will never attend a game with him on the pitch. Wheew. je me suis laisse aller mais ca me fait de biens d'avoir s'en debarasser...

In the end, it is about winning and getting the best possible players allows you to win. I am not sure that we can qualify for Brazil without a true number 10 who can link up with the fwds, control the ball in mf, and who can take free kicks. We have no one who can take free kicks right now and thats often a crucial deciding factors in close, tight, winner take all matches that you see in WC and WCQ. we have no one with the professional pedigree (Aside from arguably Atiba) of Jono. And we certainly dont have an organizer in midfield.

We have been shafted too many times before with defections to very important players who would have made a difference. The sad reality is that international soccer is becomming more and more like the professional game where players go for glory and money. And hence there is no point fighting that by going against the tide just to make a point. I want to see us playing in Brazil in 2014. Im tired of waiting.

There have been players in the past who failed commit to our national sides only to hold out for opportunity with other countries that eventually never materialized. That player never got another sniff of the national team agian. So that tells you that you take a risk when you turn your back on Canada.

If JDG2 should ever play for US, I will never attend a game with him on the pitch.

That's too bad. We need all the people we can to sing

God save gracious Queen Beatrix

Long live noble Queen Beatrix,

God save Queen Beatrix:

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

New Queen of Canada:

God save Queen Beatrix.

She represents us better than Elizabeth because she wears a puck on her head:

queen-beatrix.jpg

I can understand that! I would love to turn him away and make an example of him, but I would love to see the boys in Brazil even more! That is probably the opinion of many on this board.

You're not wrong! As Free Kick says though, it's all about putting the best team on the field that we can, there's lots of players who have come through the door of club teams I support who I really don't care for yet, as long as they"re doing the business I can tolerate them! We simply can"t afford to tell players who can contribute to our National Team to toss off, I wish we could!

Are you people serious? This level of outrage is completely ridiculous:

(he showed) complete disrespect to us...he spat in our face...Canada is not some fat chick with low self esteem...Now you want to run back to the easy lay...Go F yourself JDG2. You confused swine.

^

Not sure I'd put it that way. Perhaps more of a nerdy, socially awkward chic. Tight-like-a-tiger athletic frame but facial looks resembling Don Cherry. Or if not Don Cherry's good looks than perhaps blessed with something like a lazy eye and annoying voice and embarrassingly poor sense of style.

Certainly doable under the right circumstances, and potentially great in the sack (you never know 'til you know right?) but if your extra hot ex caught you in public with her....well. Lets just say we all know who'd be approaching all friendly like to say hello.

Super hot ex;

"Jon? Is that you?"

JD2;

"Oh-my-God. Hiiiiiiii. Didn't see you there. Hiiiii"

Super Hot Ex;

"That's so funny because I thought I seen you staring right at me. I don't mean that badly, I mean everyone was weren't they? But that'll happen when your making out with Hope Solo on the dance floor. LOL. Well you KNOW I'm not shy."

JD2;

"I was, just you know, I didn't know you were, that you were bi."

Super hot Ex;

"Oh, yeah. Didn't tell you that did I? You're so sweet. A lot of guys would just assume that I am because even though I'm very fortunate financially I still have those three hot female room mates and am Dutch but not you Jon. You're such a sweet boy."

JD2;

"This was great. Great to see you but..."

Super hot Ex;

"HI! I"m Holly."

"HI! I'M CANDY."

Holly;

"So aren't you two a cute item. Matching red track suits. They must be very comfortable. So relaxed."

JD2;

"We... we didn't know it was a black tie event."

Holly;

"But how could you? You've never been to FIFA's Big Dance Party before have you? I'd have told you but I never expected to see you at one of these little get-togethers."

Candy;

"THERE MINE. I PICKED THEM OUT."

Holly;

"Oh they're great, hon. They're great. It's wonderful the two of you have the confidence needed to wear something like that. It really says a lot. When Jon and I were together for that brief time I wouldn't have let him dress like that anywhere, not even at home but I guess you two are a lot more serious than we were. They're great, hon. Seriously. Well I've got to go but will I be seeing you again a little later?

JD2;

"Not likely. Quite sure we'll be leaving this party pretty early."

Holly;

"Oh that's too bad. If I don't see you again have a great evening. By, Candy. So glad I got to meet you."

JD2;

"Man...

Candy;

"You big jerk. HERE! You can clean the drool off your chin."

JD2;

"Ah, come on. Don't be like that. Lets just try to enjoy being here could we?

Candy;

"You're not fooling anyone. I know the only reason you came to this dance with me was because she stopped calling you."

JD2;

"Ah, come on. It's not like that, okay. Just wait here. We'll have a drink and then get going. I'm just going to get us some drinks, I'll be right back and then we'll go okay? I'll be right back."

Candy;

" I'll be right back and then we'll go okay? We just got here, damnit. I knew I should have brought Junior.

You know, I've been holding my sentiments for far too long [......]

If Canada qualify for the World cup 2014, the benefits to Canadian football would be enormous. JDG2 helps our chances quite a bit. So, yea, while the circumstances are not ideal, perhaps you should take a look at the bigger picture and what is at stake.

^

Not sure I'd put it that way. Perhaps more of a nerdy, socially awkward chic. Tight-like-a-tiger athletic frame but facial looks resembling Don Cherry. Or if not Don Cherry's good looks than perhaps blessed with something like a lazy eye and annoying voice and embarrassingly poor sense of style.

Certainly doable under the right circumstances, and potentially great in the sack (you never know 'til you know right?) but if your extra hot ex caught you in public with her....well. Lets just say we all know who'd be approaching all friendly like to say hello.

Super hot ex;

"Jon? Is that you?"

JD2;

Super Hot Ex;

"That's so funny because I thought I seen you staring right at me. I don't mean that badly, I mean everyone was weren't they? But that'll happen when your making out with Hope Solo on the dance floor. LOL. Well you KNOW I'm not shy."

JD2;

Super hot Ex;

"Oh, yeah. Didn't tell you that did I? You're so sweet. A lot of guys would just assume that I am because even though I'm very fortunate financially I still have those three hot female room mates and am Dutch but not you Jon. You're such a sweet boy."

JD2;

Super hot Ex;

"HI! I"m Holly."

"HI! I'M CANDY."

Holly;

"So aren't you two a cute item. Matching red track suits. They must be very comfortable. So relaxed."

JD2;

Holly;

"But how could you? You've never been to FIFA's Big Dance Party before have you? I'd have told you but I never expected to see you at one of these little get-togethers."

Candy;

Holly;

"Oh they're great, hon. They're great. It's wonderful the two of you have the confidence needed to wear something like that. It really says a lot. When Jon and I were together for that brief time I wouldn't have let him dress like that anywhere, not even at home but I guess you two are a lot more serious than we were. They're great, hon. Seriously. Well I've got to go but will I be seeing you again a little later?

JD2;

Holly;

"Oh that's too bad. If I don't see you again have a great evening. By, Candy. So glad I got to meet you."

JD2;

"Man...

Candy;

JD2;

Candy;

"You're not fooling anyone. I know the only reason you came to this dance with me was because she stopped calling you."

JD2;

"Ah, come on. It's not like that, okay. Just wait here. We'll have a drink and then get going. I'm just going to get us some drinks, I'll be right back and then we'll go okay? I'll be right back."

Candy;

" I'll be right back and then we'll go okay? We just got here, damnit. I knew I should have brought Junior.

Tell me who has to be smote for you to write one of these a day, and they shall be smoten!

Seriously. Awesome pick-me-up for a morning. Good job. Hilarious.

^

Super hot ex;

"Jon? Is that you?"

JD2;

Super Hot Ex;

JD2;

Super hot Ex;

JD2;

Super hot Ex;

"HI! I"m Holly."

"HI! I'M CANDY."

Holly;

JD2;

Holly;

Candy;

Holly;

JD2;

Holly;

JD2;

"Man...

Candy;

JD2;

Candy;

JD2;

Candy;

This went perfect with my morning coffee. Brilliant stuff.

All I know is if JDG2 plays for Canada we will definitely be better than Jamaica, which in turn will help Hoillet decide he wants to play for Canda and not Jamaica, which will make us even further ahead of the ReggaeBoyz. It's a win / win really. I'm not too concerned that De Guzman tried to play for Netherlands first. It's well documented that he spent a good chunk of his life there. Spilled milk.

All I know is if JDG2 plays for Canada we will definitely be better than Jamaica, which in turn will help Hoillet decide he wants to play for Canda and not Jamaica, which will make us even further ahead of the ReggaeBoyz.

Yeah but we don't have the attacking genius of Jobi McAnuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Can any one translate properly? Google Translate is some what unclear. Obviously it's in written in a Dutch perspective:

Canada hoopt op Jonathan de Guzman: "Ik sta er wel open voor"

Door Gijs Meijerink | 01 Mar 2012 om 12:48 | Gratis live voetbal

Jonathan de Guzman werd geboren in Canada en mag zodoende ook uitkomen voor de nationale ploeg. De middenvelder groeide echter op in Nederland, waardoor hij ook voor Oranje uit zou mogen komen. Daar ziet hij echter weinig kansen.

De Canadese voetbalbond hoopt de 24-jarige De Guzman zover te krijgen, dat hij zijn in 2008 verkregen Nederlandse nationaliteit achter zich laat en opnieuw een Canadese pas krijgt. De oud-Feyenoorder liet zich in 2008 'omtoveren' tot Nederlander, om zodoende een interlandcarrière bij Oranje op te bouwen. Het bleef echter bij een aantal jeugdinterlands en het 'grote' Oranje klopte nooit op de deur.

De Guzman ziet spelen in het Canadese nationale team wel zitten. "Ik sta er wel open voor. Momenteel heb ik geen idee wat mijn situatie bij het Nederlands elftal is. Mijn kansen bij Oranje lijken inmiddels wat kleiner dan voorheen. Maar wat de exacte plannen met mij zijn weet ik niet. Mijn zaakwaarnemer en ik hopen dat een gesprek meer duidelijkheid zal geven", zei hij tegen Voetbal International.

De broer van Jonathan, Julian de Guzman, zette het hele verhaal op gang. "Het is een kans om aan een WK deel te nemen. De Canadese bond probeert ook Junior Hoilett van Blackburn Rovers over te halen (de 21-jarige aanvaller kan ook voor zijn tweede vaderland Jamaica uitkomen, red.). Alleen is in mijn geval de vraag of ik opnieuw een Canadese pas kan krijgen. Die heb ik in 2008 moeten opzeggen. Vanuit Canada word ik nu een beetje gepusht, maar het wordt een lastige keuze."

Translating a few select lines through google sounds like he wants to play for Canada but "it's a tough choice."

Hmmm...could that be because he would have to give up his dutch passport and play in Europe as an international?

That's exactly what it sounds like ... damn. It will be interesting to see what he decides. Right now, he's not seeing a sniff of the pitch, but I'm not sure if that will make him lean one way or the other. I wonder if there's any chance in hell that he comes to MLS as a DP.

Archived