JDG2 back in picture

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's exactly what it sounds like ... damn. It will be interesting to see what he decides. Right now, he's not seeing a sniff of the pitch, but I'm not sure if that will make him lean one way or the other. I wonder if there's any chance in hell that he comes to MLS as a DP.

That is the "·$%& !!!! trouble with the CSA. In civilized football nations, the FA will give public statements and info on what the status of

eligibility of target players. We have to guess here!

Surely someone on here knows someone who is fluent in Dutch and willing to translate???

I know one Dutch guy pretty well but he lives 90 minutes drive from here and has no internet access.

Based on my Dutch (which is fading from near fluency since my time there), the story doesn't really add anything new. It does not say he needs to give up his Dutch passport to get his Canadian one back. It does say he wished to play for the Netherlands but now sees that as unlikely. So it is a tough choice for him mainly because he has to give up his dream of playing for Holland.

The main gist is that he is now open to possibility of playing for Canada.

Based on my Dutch (which is fading from near fluency since my time there), the story doesn't really add anything new. It does not say he needs to give up his Dutch passport to get his Canadian one back. It does say he wished to play for the Netherlands but now sees that as unlikely. So it is a tough choice for him mainly because he has to give up his dream of playing for Holland.

The main gist is that he is now open to possibility of playing for Canada.

Thank you!

IMO that settles things. Nothing has changed re JDG2 citizenship status. Good news for Canada.

Thank

I just thought of something that on the surface seems as though it might work. It seems so obvious that I imagine I must be missing something:

Why bother with trying to get JDG2's Canadian citizenship back at all? Let him remain "Dutch". One or probably both of his parents have probably been Canadian citizens for many years, so why couldn't Jono simply qualify to play for Canada as the son of a Canadian citizen, even if he himself is "Dutch". Surely it would be no different than the Whore choosing to play for his father's nation.

For that matter, wouldn't the same apply to Tam Nsaliwa as well?

Like I said, there has to be some reason this won't work, otherwise surely Jono would already be playing for Canada. I just can't figure out what it is.

I just thought of something that on the surface seems as though it might work. It seems so obvious that I imagine I must be missing something:

Why bother with trying to get JDG2's Canadian citizenship back at all? Let him remain "Dutch". One or probably both of his parents have probably been Canadian citizens for many years, so why couldn't Jono simply qualify to play for Canada as the son of a Canadian citizen, even if he himself is "Dutch". Surely it would be no different than the Whore choosing to play for his father's nation.

For that matter, wouldn't the same apply to Tam Nsaliwa as well?

Like I said, there has to be some reason this won't work, otherwise surely Jono would already be playing for Canada. I just can't figure out what it is.

Great thought but he would still need a passport/citizenship I believe? I do not know for sure but I suspect the Whore qualified for, and received his UK papers through his grandfather. Bircham also had citizenship in the same way.

I agree with you Dave, look at a guy like Marc bircham who played for us through his grandfather and surely wasn't a Canadian citizen as he had never been here before.

You must have citizenship to play for a nation

I went digging around and found the answer on his twitter, Marc Bircham is a Canadian citizen. As Canadian citizenship can be acquired by being born here (new laws might change that) or by ancestry (as far back as grandparents). Being in Canada has nothing to do with citizenship

June 8th is much closer than it seems and this situation really seems to have stalled. Based on watching the team against Armenia we really need this extra piece and I'm starting to lose a bit of hope.

Sam - the Armenia squad is very good. Had almost totally their full team, are very familiar with each other and would defo be a favourite to qualify out of Concacaf for the WC. Don't be worried about it.

They finished 3rd in their group behind Russia and Rep Ireland, and outscored Ireland 22-15. And they beat Slovakia 4-0 last year. Good team! Don't be too worried.

But yes, JDG2 and Hoilett would help!

Sam - the Armenia squad is very good. Had almost totally their full team, are very familiar with each other and would defo be a favourite to qualify out of Concacaf for the WC. Don't be worried about it.

They finished 3rd in their group behind Russia and Rep Ireland, and outscored Ireland 22-15. And they beat Slovakia 4-0 last year. Good team! Don't be too worried.

Armenia wouldn't be a favourite out of CONCACAF imo. Costa Rica and Honduras are better teams... and on paper so are we imo.

Armenia is a really mediocre team that is on a good run. Probably they have found a good coach who knows how to employ his players effectively but they are also overperforming. We on the other hand are always underperforming with our continual hiring of unqualified coaches. Look at the list of Armenia players and where they are playing and it is really unimpressive. Some of the guys on the Russian teams are bench players who hardly play. Even a player I know well because he plays for my Russian team subbed in for a significant part of the match. However, my Russian team is currently in the 1st division of Russia which is their 2nd tier league. On paper we should match up very well with them not get dominated like we were. I doubt Armenia's results will stay as good as they have been recently but what one should expect from a team is that they consistently perform to their standard and occasionally get on a good run. We are constantly playing under the level one should expect when one sees our lineup on paper. When the coach has a less impressive professional football resume than every player on the squad, I don't think it is very hard to see where the problem lies.

I have very little hope for WCQ. The only hope I have is somehow the players gel and gain some confidence and win despite Hart. That is precisely what I always suspected happened in that Gold Cup in which we played well under him.

I think the fact that I and others are disappointed with our performance against Armenia stems from the fact that we have played better and been much more competitive against Euro teams that are around Armenia's level or higher. I'm thinking of Ukraine, Greece, Belarus, etc. Granted we seemed to have a stronger side in those games. But we were thoroughly outclassed by the Armenians and didn't seem to adapt tactically and that's what concerns me.

Haha, well I have no idea what is going on with him, but isn't that the crux of why he wants to play for Canada now?

Yeah no kidding. To be fair though he was still getting minutes when he decided to play for us. I feel like the new coaching staff doesn't rate him perhaps.

Edit: Just learned that the club has changed managers AGAIN. They have replaced the guy who replaced the guy who brought Jono in. That club has alot of problems right now.

Yeah too bad it wasn't Malaga, they are challenging for Europe this year thanks to their new financial backing.

Perhaps he is feeling more pressure to preform because: A) his first La Liga season was so successful B) he was Villarreal's most expensive summer signing C) he was brought in to replace their attacking midfielder who joined Malaga last summer (forget the name, but he is a spanish international) and D) the club has lost key players due to injury for long stretches so he was expected to soften that blow

I've got some bad news for you guys. It seems like De Guzman hasn't given up on playing for Holland just yet. FC Twente are interested in signing him because he is not getting any playing time at Villarreal.

Jonathan De Guzman staat open voor een terugkeer naar Nederland. De middenvelder van Villarreal komt de laatste maanden weinig aan spelen toe en is dit seizoen inmiddels aan zijn derde trainer toe. De enige oplossing voor De Guzman lijkt het starten van de zoektocht naar een nieuwe club.

"Als er interesse van een mooie club komt en Villarreal werkt mee, ga ik nadenken over een vertrek", geeft De Guzman toe in gesprek met NUsport. "Ik verlang naar speeltijd." FC Twente zou interessse hebben. "Aan de ene kant denk ik: het is te vroeg voor een rentree in Nederland. Maar aan de andere kant: als ik het daar goed doe, kom ik misschien meer in beeld bij de Nederlandse bondscoach."

Een rentree bij Feyenoord, dat hij in 2010 verruilde voor Real Mallorca, behoort tot de mogelijkheden. "We zullen wel zien wat er gebeurt", stelt De Guzman. "Ik wil slagen in een groot voetballand, maar ik ben nog jong en moet nu spelen. En in Nederland heb ik toch een bepaalde status. Ik sta open voor een terugkeer."

Translation of quotes:

''If there is concrete interest in me and Villarreal is cooperative, i will consider leaving them''

''I'm craving for more playing time''

''I'm thinking on one side that a return to The Netherlands may be too early but if I do well there, I will be quicker on the radar of the Dutch NT Manager''

''A return to Feyenoord could also be a possibility, we will see what happens. I want to succeed in a big football country but I'm still young and i have to play. The Netherlands is a good opportunity because I have a certain status there. I'm open to return''

Archived