JDG2 back in picture

Even if he did renounce he would'nt need to be in touch with the Dutch side if he wanted to play for Canada at all costs.

If Holland stated that he had to renounce his citizenship but did'nt follow up and he did'nt in fact or if he did and Dutch law requires that he not hold dual citizenship then he can of course represent Canada but he may be at risk of losing his Dutch citizenship which is most likely the issue that is holding all of this up, JDG2's Dutch passport is very valuable to his career, regaining Canadian citizenship should'nt be a major issue since their are programs in place to fast track athletes.

Are you sure about fast tracking athletes? We've brought it up before but what about Matt Bonner? It took him a while. But there was an example of an Olympian, can't remember. If anybody has specific examples that would be great.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't remember his name but there was that Jamaican bobsledder who was fast tracked to represent us at the winter olympics

You are correct sir.

Lascelles Brown is his name. From his Wiki page;

He applied for Canadian citizenship on July 28, 2005; it was awarded to him by special exemption just prior to the 2006 Winter Olympics, enabling him to compete for Canada at the games in Turin.

So realistically we're looking at about 6 months from when the interview with Julian was filmed. So we're looking at six months from the end of November 2011... May 2012...

He was pretty important early on and was apart of their CL squad - and I believe created an important goal v. Chelsea....I guess he wasn't part of the squad (first XI) v. Barca so people were worried.

He's a quality player so I am not concerned.

HOLY DOBSON'S ARTICLE IS UPLIFTING!!!

"On to De Guzman.

It’s clear he's desperate to play for Canada now. Hart met with him twice recently in Spain. The discussions are no longer exploratory. It’s not about feeling out his desire to play for Canada. It’s beyond that now, and more about how to stickhandle through the immigration minefield.

His brother Julian tells me if you could wave a magic wand and make it happen, Jonathan would pull on that new Umbro kit tomorrow. I've always been dubious that it could happen in time for the June qualifiers, but I'm told that's the goal and that the De Guzmans are hopeful and in fact confident that it will happen.

And if it does, it will be in Toronto, because that's where Stephen Hart and players want it to be. End of story."

"De Guzmans are hopeful and in fact confident that it will happen." If this statement is correct thats great to hear, they are the ones that are in the loop and this sounds very encouraging, and its nice to know they are really trying to get in by the next round and not just cherry pick the HEX if we make it.

JDG2 joins Canada you can be sure JH will follow. Then the question is....where do we play them! Simpson and JH play the same position essentially. I'd suggest moving Simpson into CAM....JDG2 beside Hutch in CM.

Hoilett can play on the right, I would have Simpson--JDG2--JR with Olivier up top with Atiba and Johnson/JDG/Bernier in support. Simpson and Hoilett can switch flanks during the game and with a core of that midfield we should be very fluid with players positions interchangeable with game flow.

What about Jackson? I am sorry but that guy is starting...

If JDG2 and Hoilett join up, I can't see Jackson starting unless his play demands it. From a strategical standpoint, having a big target man like Occean to hold up and lay the ball to Simpson / JDG2 / Hoilett making runs is key. Not a knock against Jackson at all and I'm loving how he's been scoring for Norwich lately, but Occean is the better option if we have 3 fluid attackers right behind him like Simpson and the 2 newcomers (fingers crossed).

If JDG2 and Hoilett join up, I can't see Jackson starting unless his play demands it. From a strategical standpoint, having a big target man like Occean to hold up and lay the ball to Simpson / JDG2 / Hoilett making runs is key. Not a knock against Jackson at all and I'm loving how he's been scoring for Norwich lately, but Occean is the better option if we have 3 fluid attackers right behind him like Simpson and the 2 newcomers (fingers crossed).

Agree with this, Jackson is doing decent at the moment but he does'nt fit in strategically with those 3 guys, and his form is'nt so hot that hes going to start over any of those 3 imo. Coming off the bench he should do a fine job and his pace can really do damage to tired legs.

JDG2 joins Canada you can be sure JH will follow. Then the question is....where do we play them! Simpson and JH play the same position essentially. I'd suggest moving Simpson into CAM....JDG2 beside Hutch in CM.

Some people here have been calling for some time to put Josh more central. Having Hoilett on the wing and Simpson central would be amazing.

He was pretty important early on and was apart of their CL squad - and I believe created an important goal v. Chelsea....I guess he wasn't part of the squad (first XI) v. Barca so people were worried.

He's a quality player so I am not concerned.

HOLY DOBSON'S ARTICLE IS UPLIFTING!!!

"On to De Guzman.

It’s clear he's desperate to play for Canada now. Hart met with him twice recently in Spain. The discussions are no longer exploratory. It’s not about feeling out his desire to play for Canada. It’s beyond that now, and more about how to stickhandle through the immigration minefield.

His brother Julian tells me if you could wave a magic wand and make it happen, Jonathan would pull on that new Umbro kit tomorrow. I've always been dubious that it could happen in time for the June qualifiers, but I'm told that's the goal and that the De Guzmans are hopeful and in fact confident that it will happen.

And if it does, it will be in Toronto, because that's where Stephen Hart and players want it to be. End of story."

Wow! Nice to hear that it is looking like a "sooner or later" type of thing, and not a "may or may not happen" type of thing.

Even without JH, he will add a lot going forward! As for his drop in playing time? Villarreal sacked the manager who brought him in, so that could be a factor.

Why though? He's proven both in England and for Canada that he's more effective off the bench

It is hard not to include Jackson in the starting 11, but your right here Keegan, he is more effective as a sub.

I love that we can potentially bring a player off the bench who is scoring with a mid table EPL side.

As for the Simpson/Hoilett conundrum, I am honestly torn.

Hoilett can play on the right, but is better on the left. They could swap wings but I am unsure how effective Simpson would be on the right. Like Jackson, it is also hard to envision a Canadian side with Josh coming off the bench, he has been terrific for both club and country the past couple of seasons. But if he is a guy who we can bring off the bench as well, whoa THAT is some offensive fire power waiting in reserve. He might be an even better choice off the bench than a guy like DeRo, because of his pace.

So perhaps:

-------------Occean-----------

Hoilett------De Guzman-----DeRosario

------De Guzman---Hutchinson-------

Then bring Simpson on for Hoilett, and Jackson on for DeRosario. Both Jackson or Simpson would be interesting on top as well. Don't forget we could also sub off Jono and push Hutchinson to ACM, then bring on Bernier/Johnson, who would not be out of place on the field with these guys. Ricketts/Hume are also super sub options! Wow, Jackson, Simpson, Ricketts/Hume, Johnson/Bernier on the bench? That is nice!

It is hard not to include Jackson in the starting 11, but your right here Keegan, he is more effective as a sub.

I love that we can potentially bring a player off the bench who is scoring with a mid table EPL side.

As for the Simpson/Hoilett conundrum, I am honestly torn.

Hoilett can play on the right, but is better on the left. They could swap wings but I am unsure how effective Simpson would be on the right. Like Jackson, it is also hard to envision a Canadian side with Josh coming off the bench, he has been terrific for both club and country the past couple of seasons. But if he is a guy who we can bring off the bench as well, whoa THAT is some offensive fire power waiting in reserve. He might be an even better choice off the bench than a guy like DeRo, because of his pace.

So perhaps:

-------------Occean-----------

Hoilett------De Guzman-----DeRosario

------De Guzman---Hutchinson-------

Then bring Simpson on for Hoilett, and Jackson on for DeRosario. Both Jackson or Simpson would be interesting on top as well. Don't forget we could also sub off Jono and push Hutchinson to ACM, then bring on Bernier/Johnson, who would not be out of place on the field with these guys. Ricketts/Hume are also super sub options! Wow, Jackson, Simpson, Ricketts/Hume, Johnson/Bernier on the bench? That is nice!

I have very similar thoughts, but ultimately I concluded that if Hoilett joined he should be immediately slotted into the right wing spot. He's better and used to the left, but I'm thinking that is Simpson's spot and we don't want to screw up any chemistry by making him adapt to a new position. Better to have one guy adjusting, rather than two is my reasoning plus the fact that we don't really have a right wing starter at the moment and like you, I doubt Simpson could be effective there (I remember vs. St. Kitts away he played there a bit and... ya).

Many of you will call me crazy for the following reasons - such as a) plays in a higher league, B) scores in that league at a good clip, c) has significant size....

But I think Ricketts is ahead of Occean in the CF role if the MF/W was Simpson, JDG2, JDG, Hutch, Hoilett.

Why? Ricketts is more mobile, more interchangeable with Simpson/Hoilett, and has bucketts of pace and is also very strong and leaps like a cat.

I can see the value in Occean starting though, no doubt.

-------Ricketts

Hoilett---JDG2---Simpson

---Hutch-----

---------JDG2

I change my original though. JDG2 central, Simpson wide. All three of JH-JDG2-JS can swap positions freely. Hutch serving, and JDG2 mopping up, blocking lanes, and distributing. If he any of those struggle you have Jackson, DeRo, Johnson, Hume, Occean all to come off the bench. And beyond that you also have De Jong who could play wide left, as a more natural left mid, Teibert as a left mid (yes yes he's unproven), and some other options.

If anything I'd be willing to try and fit Dero into the CF role as opposed to the right wing role. Dero is a very good player, problem is he has a style of play that holds the ball and does'nt really make the players around him better and slows the game down generally. Playing him up top he can finish well and may limit holding up the build up play so could be used there, maybe not for the majority of the game but could be a tactical switch from a bigger or faster CF to one who has more skills and a better finisher.

Archived