JDG2 back in picture

I might be way off but as far as Spain goes, they also don't recognize dual citizenship, but having said that, they don't make you renounce a citizenship. If you're a Canadian and say want Spanish citizenship, you "renounce it" to the Spaniards but in reality you don't have to renounce it officially to Canada, thus while Spain (and the rest of the EU) will see you as a Spanish citizen, in reality you have your dual citizenships.

Is this more or less the same?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a canadian frontline of simeon jackson,deguzman2,hoilett would dominate concacaf for years.

Dominate? I like our chances to qualify with JDG2 and Hoilett but did you watch the Gold cup final last summer? there are one or two other pretty good sides with some world class players in concacaf. We have a better chance against those sides in any given game but i wouldnt go over the top.

Dominate? I like our chances to qualify with JDG2 and Hoilett but did you watch the Gold cup final last summer? there are one or two other pretty good sides with some world class players in concacaf. We have a better chance against those sides in any given game but i wouldnt go over the top.

+1...

Agreed. If we can get Hoilett and JDG2 that would fill a few gaps in the starting 11 that are not international quality, but we still lack depth compared to USA and Mexico. I think with those two we rise slightly above Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, and Jamacia (who I hesitate to put in that group despite their ranking). Don't forget Honduras, for example, have players like Izzaguire (who was SPL player of the year IIRC) and Palacios. Plus their attacking depth like Jerry Bengtson and Georgie Welcome are better and more experienced than ours (Marcus Haber, Tosaint Ricketts, etc)

If these guys learn to play together and are all on board we will have a ton of creativity in our build up. We won't dominate, but we will be competitive and exciting and probably really take our program to another level on and off the field (fan base, excitment around the team, younger players committing to the program). Basically we have a golden opportunity to take our program to the next level, hopefully they commit and hopefully management make the right moves to utilize the opportunity we have getting to the world cup will do all of that, all of these things are tied in.

If these guys learn to play together and are all on board we will have a ton of creativity in our build up. We won't dominate, but we will be competitive and exciting and probably really take our program to another level on and off the field (fan base, excitment around the team, younger players committing to the program). Basically we have a golden opportunity to take our program to the next level, hopefully they commit and hopefully management make the right moves to utilize the opportunity we have getting to the world cup will do all of that, all of these things are tied in.

Yes dominate is the wrong word, but fielding an exciting team will take the CMNT to the next level in the public eye. Imagine De Guzman or Hoilett scoring goals that will be shown on TSN or Sportsnet highlight packages :D, It would do wonders to raise the interest of the casual fan.

Yes. The objective in world cup play (qualifying and in the finals) is to advance. To advance as far as you can go at each stage. Nobody looks or cares if you finished first in your group or pool at various stages. Yes, the very good sides (serious contenders like Germany, Brazil, ect) will often finish first on the streghnt of their Squad depth but thats not the objective. So if canada can advance, its mission acomplished.

As far as the rest of concacaf, the last gold cup showed me that no one in the region possesses the attacking threat of Pablo Barrera, Gio Dos Santos, and Javier Henandez. Adding two players to our squad is not going to change that. But it might give us an edge over Cost Rica and Honduras and thats all that counts because its looks very probable that four sides from Concacaf will go to Brazil in 2014.

Yes. The objective in world cup play (qualifying and in the finals) is to advance. To advance as far as you can go at each stage. Nobody looks or cares if you finished first in your group or pool at various stages. Yes, the very good sides (serious contenders like Germany, Brazil, ect) will often finish first on the streghnt of their Squad depth but thats not the objective. So if canada can advance, its mission acomplished.

As far as the rest of concacaf, the last gold cup showed me that no one in the region possesses the attacking threat of Pablo Barrera, Gio Dos Santos, and Javier Henandez. Adding two players to our squad is not going to change that. But it might give us an edge over Cost Rica and Honduras and thats all that counts because its looks very probable that four sides from Concacaf will go to Brazil in 2014.

And playing new Zealand in a playoff would actually guarantee a 99% pro Canada crowd for the home leg!! Maybe the only opposition in the world for that to happen!

Even with DeGuz Junior and Hoilett I'd be worried about Costa Rica. Bryan Ruiz looked really good against Arsenal today and they also have that keeper with AZ in Holland who has played well this year, kicking the crap out of that supporter on the pitch notwithstanding. And their U23's played in the Copa Ameria this summer and showed more or less respectively against the South American senior sides.

First things first though. Make the Hex.

• 4 weeks later...
They are currently in Spain and he is a month away from being eligible for Canada? or Hart is a month away from going to Spain?

Sounds like the first, they are in Spain and possibly a month away from JDG2 being clear to play for Canada. Sounds like promising news!

Archived